• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Anybody out there throw strictly gateway, or anything other than putters

I've been using a max weight demon lately and loving it. Very similar to a roc but just a tad more stable. Since I have a weaker arm it's a lot easier to control for me and I've been getting some great lines with it.

I just picked up a pair of Demons (one Evo, one sure grip) as well and have been loving them. WAY more overstable than a Roc though...probably the most overstable mid I've thrown in a long, long time. Taking the M1s out for these.

I just picked up a pair of Demons (one Evo, one sure grip) as well and have been loving them. WAY more overstable than a Roc though...probably the most overstable mid I've thrown in a long, long time. Taking the M1s out for these.

I am surprised to hear that because mine seems to be slightly more stable than a roc 3. Of course the Demon I have seems to be quite domed so that might be causing it, knowing how much two gateway discs can differ.

I throw mystics in both S and HPP. I throw the S versions in the winter and the HPP versions in the spring, summer and fall. I carry a 175 and a 179. The 175 turns a little easier and holds the turn. The 179 is just straight. I wish that the HPP's would come out as flat as the S version. The HPP's have a hair bit more stability to them IMO.

The opaque Warriors are more E-like and break in a little quicker than the the semi-opaque ones.

Also, if you are a Slayer fan, like myself, the latest run's are bad a$$.

Last edited:
Was kicking around the yard today throwing my judges and found 2 mystics that I lost months ago! :clap: Buried under the leaves.

One is a flat and super beat s line. I can hyzer flip it with pretty clean form from 60 degrees with lots of spin and have it straighten out for 80' and then flip right over. It's crazy understable and wild. Super fun to throw, more of a trick disk than anything. The other was a new flat 180 hpp mystic. Pretty sweet, still super understable. Really nice for turnovers and hyzer Flippin. It's actually more understable than my mega beat zero spike even tho it's new.

It might open up some lines I've never even thought about before on my local course! Gonna bag it for the next game just to see what happens...

So...I got in a couple of the most recent run Slayers earlier in the week. I finally got a chance to test them out today. These things are sweet. They fly dead straight with great glide, fast as hell and have a gentle hyzer at the end. I hope they can recreate this run as they are the bomb. I would put this run up against any other distance driver on the market in terms of pure golf distance.

Also, the most recent run of HPP Apache's seem to be back on track too. Not overly domey and seem to have a notch more stability to them. I might have to order a few more of each for backups.

So update on many proposed bag:

Putters:
2x black magics in soft

Approach putters:
1x sss wizard (old putter)
1x sss voodoo

Mids (white):

1x s-element (beaten into turn over or finesse)
1x e- element (found a super gummy star like plastic)
1x e-element max weight (utility disc)
1x Scout (trial disc)

Fairway Drivers:
2x sabre one old flat top, one new mold
1x apache

Distance:
3x assassins when I receive more (various wears)
1x Diablo dt for the forehand.

Most of those molds are just returning to what I started with, the magics and scout are on trial.

okay, completely off topic and I apologize, but when I see a bag layout like this I ALWAYS think of when I make Magic: The Gathering decks...that is all.

Did Dave Mccormack sell Gateway? I noticed on his fb page that it says "former owner" of Gateway. Seems like they have been doing a lot more than usual experimenting with plastics lately also.

Did Dave Mccormack sell Gateway? I noticed on his fb page that it says "former owner" of Gateway. Seems like they have been doing a lot more than usual experimenting with plastics lately also.

I would like to know as well.

I throw a very mixed bag myself, but it always has some Gateway in there. If nothing else, it will have a couple of Wizards and an S Element. Right now I have two S Elements. One is really beat and is great for anny flip shots or throwing uphill when I need something that won't fade. I have a pink Throwback Wizard for main putting duties and a baby blue ER25 Wiz for driving and approach shots. I love the ER25 the more I throw it because it is nice and stable and really bombs (300ft or so). I also have a gummy orange sherbert Illusion that is great for grip in this cold weather and goes about as far as my champ Wraith. If the weather calls for plenty of wind, I will break out my HPP Spirit. If I'm throwing on an open course, I've got a first run Assassin that I love to throw as well.

I used to have an HPP Karma in my bag, but it got replaced by a Glo Buzzz. It wasn't that the Karma wasn't a good disc, I just liked the way the GB matched my style a little better.
Good news for the Assassin lovers out there. GDS is getting the mold recreated and will hopefully be running them again. I can't wait :D

Now they need to recreate the original Inferno mold and I will be a real happy camper.
That's great news. I have a first run Assassin, but I'm scared to throw it anywhere near trees. I had a normal E Assassin a few years back and it got warped pretty bad first time it took a tree hit.

What I'd really love is an HPP Assassin. I guess I'll have to see if I can find some more E Assassins in the meantime.

I hope not, because I sent a paypal payment to his email the other day for a set of $$$ Wizards.

That's great news. I have a first run Assassin, but I'm scared to throw it anywhere near trees. I had a normal E Assassin a few years back and it got warped pretty bad first time it took a tree hit.

What I'd really love is an HPP Assassin. I guess I'll have to see if I can find some more E Assassins in the meantime.

I hope not, because I sent a paypal payment to his email the other day for a set of $$$ Wizards.

Good luck on the Assassin hunt. I have bought up just about everyone I have come across on the forum. I dunno what weight you throw, but you will have an even harder time finding anything sub 170.

There is a store online that I found that has E and S assassins still. I have been curious to try the S-line. I imagine like most E and S comparisons that they are slightly US.

Still says "Owner at Gateway Disc Sports" from what I can see. He's also been very involved locally lately, installing a few new courses and starting up a bunch of St. Louis local events.

So...anybody excited for the re-release of the Assassin? I know I am. It was the first disc I could conistently get out to 380-400 area.

I'd be more excited if they ran more Demons. Becoming scarce, sadly. It's a great OS mid, which I know people don't like 'round these parts (DGCR, that is) but I love mine.

So...anybody excited for the re-release of the Assassin? I know I am. It was the first disc I could conistently get out to 380-400 area.

Definitely, especially in that newer swirled/marbled HPP they had the pictures of. Hopefully they can get some of those newer, more versatile molds they have put out in the last few years (Slayer, Karma, Mystic, etc) ran in this and do some major expansion in the mid and driver market where they aren't as well known.

I like the Speed Demon a lot it's a good FH driver and compared favorably with my XCal. Love a good Wizard too but haven't used their Mids.

unfortunately i think the blaze will be going by the wayside. :( it doesn't seem to always be as OS as i need in a howling headwind.

Agreed. As much as I wanted to love the Blaze for its slow speed and beef...it just didn't excel at any one thing. It's a great little disc for short courses but I never saw myself reaching for it when I also bag a Firebird, Zone and Warrior.

Latest posts