• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone disappointed when they played a DGCR top 10

Haven't read the whole thread but AFAIK, the only top 10 course I've played is the extinct Brackett's Bluff which exceeded my expectations. Unless Sugaree, Hornet's Nest, and Renny have been top 10 before, I think that's all I've played.

Yes. But I'll leave it at that until I write a review. No sense typing it twice. But it is probably frequent since we get all excited to play a new, great course, and our opinions about what makes a course great can vary widely.

Can't say enough about Flyboy as a championship caliber course. Kelly is also just a tremendous person.

I've also played BRP. I think it'd be tough to build a better casual-round course. It's absolutely beautiful, but I don't long to play it again. I thought there were too many short holes. #10 seems like a gimmick to me (parked it, fyi.) I would never have thought to turn what's normally a get-out-of-trouble shot into its own hole.

I would agree on BRP, too many open holes and not enough challenge or variety to justify the current rating imo.

You have played 39 courses Mr Jones. Give it some time. There is a whole big world out there with many courses. You may get lucky, and be surprised.

And the baskets were repaired, not replaced.
The baskets at Mt Airy are new baskets, the old ones, I've been told, are in storage. I half expect them to show up at the new Goshen course.

Interesting

To answer the OP, yes Tyler and Deer Lakes(the only 2 I've played) were slight disappointments being in the top 10. They are still great courses, just not what I expect from a top 10 course. I just chalk it up to being popular to the masses vs what I like.

Interesting. If you haven't played any other top 10 courses than what are you comparing them to? Or are you saying that there are lower rated courses that you preferred to them?

Since the contents of the Top 10 changes, I queried all courses rated 4.0 or higher with at least 10 reviews (just under 200 courses met the requirements). I have played 16 of them (but will be adding 3 others between 9/10 and 9/13 and will be playing Linbrook as well -- road trip). I have not been disappointed by any of them. They're all different but there wasn't one of them where I felt that I had wasted the trip.

The 16: Wickham, Iron Hill, Patapsco, Seneca Creek, Deis Hill, Sankanac, Jordan Creek, Moraine, Nockamixon, Quaker's Challenge, Tyler, Walnut Creek, Woodshed, Whipping Post, Blockhouse (both courses)

I was surprised a few of the others I played hadn't made a 4 - possibly they don't have 10 reviews yet. I look forward to a Charlotte road trip, an Austin road trip, and a Denver road trip to expand my horizons.

You have played 39 courses Mr Jones. Give it some time. There is a whole big world out there with many courses. You may get lucky, and be surprised.

FWIW, I have Flyboy at the top of my personal rankings too with a few more courses played.

I truly believe flyboy is the one course/experience you can't understand until you play it.

agreed. I think The Blockhouse is another unforgettable experience, but it is better when locals are there to add excitement. Hawk Hollow at the DGCR Midatlantic meet is the best DG expereince :)

Now you guys are getting into experience and atmosphere, which I appreciate and sometimes mention in reviews, but don't include in my rating. I still think Flyboy is amazing based solely on the quality of the shots and to a much lesser extent the aesthetics. Things like tees and other amenities, how cool the owner and local scene are and how much I enjoyed the ancillary things offered on the property make up a minuscule part of the overall number for me.

I've played flip and all the highbridge courses, loved every one...but other courses I loved just as much, bud hill for example, and rogers Lakewood

I have yet to play any of the DGCR top ten. Hudson Mills Original course is probably the highest rated course that I have played, and I can live with that. It will always be #1 for me.

Interesting. If you haven't played any other top 10 courses than what are you comparing them to? Or are you saying that there are lower rated courses that you preferred to them?

Since the contents of the Top 10 changes, I queried all courses rated 4.0 or higher with at least 10 reviews (just under 200 courses met the requirements). I have played 16 of them (but will be adding 3 others between 9/10 and 9/13 and will be playing Linbrook as well -- road trip). I have not been disappointed by any of them. They're all different but there wasn't one of them where I felt that I had wasted the trip.

The 16: Wickham, Iron Hill, Patapsco, Seneca Creek, Deis Hill, Sankanac, Jordan Creek, Moraine, Nockamixon, Quaker's Challenge, Tyler, Walnut Creek, Woodshed, Whipping Post, Blockhouse (both courses)

I was surprised a few of the others I played hadn't made a 4 - possibly they don't have 10 reviews yet. I look forward to a Charlotte road trip, an Austin road trip, and a Denver road trip to expand my horizons.

I'm comparing them(Deer Lakes and Tyler) to the 55 courses I've played. I have Paw Paw, Hawk Hallow, Nockamixon, Moraine, Iron Hill, Quaker's Challenge, and Patapsco all higher on my personal list, so they barely make my personal top 10, if they do at all now that I think more about it. Deer Lakes actually reminds me a lot of Patapsco with nicer amenities, but not as good a course. Tyler reminds me a lot of Seneca Creek with nicer amenities, but a bit too tight/unfair/random.

FWIW you can probably skip the Texas trip and not miss anything. DWF was fairly disappointing, but I was in the area for work. Seems all the 4+ rated courses in Texas would be maybe 3.5 at best around the Mid Atlantic. It's not their fault the land in Texas sucks and nobody gets out that state to see some real courses. :popcorn:

I love Deer Lakes. My favorite thing about Pittsburgh is heading up to Deer Lakes two hours before dusk and playing a quick round trying to beat par from the blue tees. Beautiful woods, challenging shots, and a few opportunities to watch your disc fly. Lately I've even been having close encounters with a beaver in the pond, which has been cool.

However, if it's really the fifth-best course in the country (I ignore Par 3 courses in this discussion), that's sad for the state of course construction around the country. Deer Lakes still has plenty of flaws--a couple ho-hum holes, a couple Plinko shots--but I'm guessing its ability to cater to different audiences, its ability to avoid ticking anyone off, and its giant concrete tees make it do well in the ratings game. It seems like there should be many more *perfect* courses out there, but I'm not sure where they are.

Latest posts