• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Anyone else not like the roc?

I didn't care for Rocs one bit until I moved to Japan. I was throwing Buzzes for mids and then couldn't find them in 150-class but had no problem finding base and premium plastic Rocs. When I went back to my heavy weight stuff after the local tournament, the Buzz just felt awkward. I put a Ghost and a Cobra in the bag and it all works well. The lightweight Rocs really helped me focus on different shot angles and playing the wind better.

Much like an arranged marriage, I can learn to love almost any mid with time.

The Roc feels very uncomfortable in my hand. I rather use other more modern molds to fill my stable to os midrange slot

OP, we will have to agree to disagree on Rocs and Teebirds. I feel like those are two amazing molds. Not everyone will like them, though, and that is ok. Loads of great discs out there to choose from, so throw what feels/flies best for you!

I love Rocs, but is that because I really love them or because I have been throwing them since I was a kid? Is it because my dad threw/throws them?

Who can say for sure?

Im all aboard the innova hype train. But for some reason i hate the roc. It just doesnt suit me. It feels weird and doesnt fly right for me. I love the gator and mako though. And i feel like the teebird is overrated as well but thats different. Innova drivers and putters are fantastic but it seems to me the mids and fairways fall short of the competition. Anyone else or just me?

If you like the gator, try to get your hands on an old Innova DX or star Gremlin. I threw these more than Rocs until they discontinued them.

I'm a Buzzz and Beatles fan. Rocs and Elvis are alright, but a little overrated if you ask me

Well said.

I don't like Rocs because of the bead. Also because the name Roc refers to around 17 different discs. And because it's one of those molds where the perfect Roc is either a 'beat-in Roc' or some very hard to get run that you have to pay ridiculous amounts for on ebay or know a guy. And because I'm a hater.

Much like an arranged marriage, I can learn to love almost any mid with time.

Yes, but there are those that I could never learn to love. The Discmania MD is one of those. Feels fine in my paw, but it didn't go as far as other mids in is class, it's not as accurate as other mids in its class. I also disliked the Atlas so much that I gave mine away (to a kid, paying it forward).

Lots to agree with here. I love my Comets and Sentinels but I wish they were both beadless. I prefer my mids in a champ/z-type plastic and I don't want to have to cycle discs to get the flight I like. Fresh Buzzz for the stable slot, Comet for neutral/US, Sentinel for the short meathook.

I don't like Rocs because of the bead. Also because the name Roc refers to around 17 different discs. And because it's one of those molds where the perfect Roc is either a 'beat-in Roc' or some very hard to get run that you have to pay ridiculous amounts for on ebay or know a guy. And because I'm a hater.

ALL of that plus I despise wide diameter mids!

Im all aboard the innova hype train. But for some reason i hate the roc. It just doesnt suit me. It feels weird and doesnt fly right for me. I love the gator and mako though. And i feel like the teebird is overrated as well but thats different. Innova drivers and putters are fantastic but it seems to me the mids and fairways fall short of the competition. Anyone else or just me?

Kinda have to laugh at your comment. The Leopard, Eagle and Teebird are the most successful fairway drivers ever produced.

Dunno how many people are going to agree with that. The Teebird is not overrated, to be sure.

One thing pursuant to your point, though: Innova has a ton of mid molds out there, and a goodly number of high-speed discs... but if you look at the Marshall Street Flight Guide, you'll see that there are (relatively) few Innova discs in that Speed 6,7,8 range. The ones they have are excellent (the TL for me, please), but they have not (over)populated that sector with a large quantity of molds.

I like and throw a lot of Innova discs. And I currently have a few Innova mids getting some attention, namely the Atlas & VCobra. And I've had success with a Wedge as well. But like the OP, I'm not a fan of the Roc. The Buzzz just felt better in the hand to me so I never bonded with a Roc.

Just throwing this out there..

I own 2 Roc3's, a Buzzz SS, and a Comet. I also own a Gator and an M4 just for good measure.

There's a lot of courses around my area, so the discs that I carry heavily depends on the course I play.

It really all comes down to what feels comfortable and what you have the most confidence throwing. I also first started playing in 2002 (I know there's a lot of people on here who started WAY before then) before all these new companies started popping up. Nowadays, there's a disc out there for practically every shot, back then, you really had to know how to work a disc!

Last edited:
Have honestly not found a stable to overstate mid I care for none of them feel like they relese clean, especially don't care for rocs though . More of a coyote/goblin fan for mid range then use a faster putter in the overstate upshot slot, A1 and Berg currently filling that slot.

I don't mind the not loving rocs comment (although I do rely heavily on my roc3s) as there are so many similar and quality mids out there it really is just pick the one that feels best.

As for the teebird comment though - that is just blasphemy. I may be biased as it is by far my most thrown disc off the teepad and I bag 4-5, but there are tons of discs that have attempted to copy the magic of a teebird and none hold up. There are similar discs, but IMO the thing that is truly magical about the teebird is the very wide range of speeds that the disc will hold dead straight for. It is so insensitive to release speed (within reason) that it becomes very, very predictable. For example, if I intend to throw it 300' and hit my line but misjudge the power by 25' (either long or short) it will still be very close to online (left to right) but just short/long. Do that with almost any other fairway driver and you are quite a bit left/right depending on which way you misjudged the power.

Rocs have grown on me alot now. I only bag one at the moment, along with a Truth, Shark, and Atlas for mids. I've had t least four Rocs so far, and I've learned them so well, that I'm sure I'll always have at least one.

Dx Rocs for me = brand new, dead straight w/fade
= beat, dead straight w/minimal fade, can shape lines either anhyzer or hyzer really well.