• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else not like using putters or have a hard time with them?

brettmartin

Or is it just me? I have noticed I make much better putts with my Roc or any mid-range/fairway driver rather than a putter. I will miss short putts with my Aero or RPro Dart. It just seems more flimsy and doesn't flight straight rather than another disc.

Maybe it's just me, haha.

I totally hate putting with an aero. It just has way too much glide. However it does make for a fun driver. There is nothing like throwing 375-400 feet and taunting your friends as it slowly glides down the fairway. The thing will really go a mile if you have the patience to wait for it to get there.

Has anyone tee'd up and thrown past it while it was still chugging along?

BTW played CFUMC today...its a cute little course.

Or is it just me? I have noticed I make much better putts with my Roc or any mid-range/fairway driver rather than a putter. I will miss short putts with my Aero or RPro Dart. It just seems more flimsy and doesn't flight straight rather than another disc.

Or maybe you just need a more stable putter. Since you like the Roc, try putting with a big bead Aviar. I like the JK Aviar, but if you like a stiffer putter, try the KC Aviar. Sometimes you can find big bead Aviars in DX and they're great too, but I'm not sure they are in regular production.

I think your problem is that you need a slower putter. Try a gateway wizard, you won't regret it

I like the soft/champion Ryhno's to putt with. Not really a putter but not really anything else. Great for approach shots as well!

ive noticed when most of you are talking about driving with putters your talking about P&A discs (aviar,wizard,etc.) and im not gonna debate you on if those are true putters or not and i could but i dont really care , all im saying is when you tell noobs about the days of yore and throwing putters 500ft feet be specific:}

Just a classic post from another thread - click the arrow do-hickey to see the responses to this.

I think you need to throw a putter different than an approach disc. With an approach, I think you're throwing with still quite a bit of spin, and with a relatively straight trajectory. With a putter, you're more tossing the disc up and letting it float in (thus the larger rim), with decreased spin when compared to an approach. If you are throwing a putter like you would throw an approach, this would explain your difficulty.

That having been said, I played with a guy last weekend that threw every putt hard at the chains - I mean it didn't change elevation at all. I believe the conventional wisdom is against this, as if you miss, you've got another tough putt (among other reasons); but the guy didn't miss once from inside 30' (and kicked my a$$ for the round). Am I thinking about putting wrong (floating it in), or is this guy just an anomaly?

I too have troubles putting. Although since I've gotten a Discraft Esp Zone putter, I liked it. Also been using a KC Pro Roc and it's been working to my advantage also.

That having been said, I played with a guy last weekend that threw every putt hard at the chains - I mean it didn't change elevation at all. I believe the conventional wisdom is against this, as if you miss, you've got another tough putt (among other reasons); but the guy didn't miss once from inside 30' (and kicked my a$$ for the round). Am I thinking about putting wrong (floating it in), or is this guy just an anomaly?

if one can draw a straight line to the basket for 30 to 40 feet the thrower will not be low or high and will eliminate low speed fade before one reach the basket. It is also easier to make the missed putts after one gets this kind of confidence this person apparently has. In my second tournament, I was so worried about blow-bys, I missed several short putts because I was afraid to put anything on it. Some of the best advice I ever heard was either decide to putt or approach, but do not try to throw something in between because that kind of throw will not accomplish do either. I now live by this. If I do not think I can make a 40 foot putt in tournament play I will lay up but If I feel good about it, I got for it with no concern about if I miss. If I do miss I will then concentrate on that throw.

That is such a situation dependent question Geoffro asked. If I'm playing a hole that had a steep drop behind the basket there is no way I'm laser putting, hyzer all the way. It would be nice to have the confidence to laser putt all the time though.

Some of the best advice I ever heard was either decide to putt or approach, but do not try to throw something in between because that kind of throw will not accomplish do either.

That's a great motto.

i hate most putters. aviars, darts, everything. until i bought a classic roc. it isnt a flimsy good-for-nothing-but-getting-discs-out-of-trees putter. it is just as the name implies. hard as a rock and falls like one two. if you miss the putt dont expect it to be going far. i really like it and you might too.

My friend/doubles partner also throws the same putter as I do, blowfly. But our putting styles are very different. He is a laser putter, while I'm a hyzer floater. They both have their advantages/disadvantages. He is fantastic about getting in the woods with little to no gap and blasting through and hitting the basket, because he uses the laser style. But on inclines, he tends to have to back off because of the blow-by and often misses because of it. Since I have the floater style more, inclines don't effect me as much and I tend to make them. Everyone has their opinion on putters, and everyone has their own style, just find what works for you, or feels right, and then practice.

I never liked the deep rims on putters. I tried an XD, but still went back to my beat up Buzzz-D. Before using the Buzzz, I actually used an ArchAngel. I started using that disc from experimenting in my yard with a deck chair and all of my discs. The ArchAngel was the most consistent disc on hitting the chair from 50' on in. After I found the Buzzz and watched the video from Mark Ellis where he ave the participants 2 new discs because those "will work for them" I figured to try the Buzzz as my putter. As far as putting styles, I used to pu$$y-foot the disc toward the basket because I was scarred of missing (I still do from time to time). My buddy, who is/was a better putter than I, told me to stop being scarred to miss, and after practicing and becoming confident at 30' in, I started throwin harder at the basket, and improved my putting tenfold.

My suggestion would be to practice those 20-30' putts until you make 90% of them, then use a pole and shot from further out just to show yourself that if you do miss those 50-60-70 footers, you'll make the 20-30' come backer everytime. This will give you more confidence at "going for" the longer putts knowing you'll make the miss. It would be the same as laying up, only giving you a better chance to make the first throw. When you lay up, you definately are taking 2 putts, when going for the longer ones, you are taking 1 putt, and occasionaly 2 putts. I hope my ramblings don't deter anyone from reading this, it's only my 2 dollars.

The main reason I like using putters (and I personally mean Wizards, Voodoos, Warlocks, Challengers ...) They are much easier to control at slow speeds and when they touchdown they don't skip away much if at all.

The main reason I like using putters (and I personally mean Wizards, Voodoos, Warlocks, Challengers ...) They are much easier to control at slow speeds and when they touchdown they don't skip away much if at all.

I agree. I once used my Star Coyote to putt with, but the problem was , if you missed the basket, the disc would fly about 20 feet past the basket. I love my Magnet, because its more forgiving.

I think you need to throw a putter different than an approach disc. With an approach, I think you're throwing with still quite a bit of spin, and with a relatively straight trajectory. With a putter, you're more tossing the disc up and letting it float in (thus the larger rim), with decreased spin when compared to an approach. If you are throwing a putter like you would throw an approach, this would explain your difficulty.

i use the same approach as the guy u played against does. i use my eliteZ buzz for putting and throw it pretty hard at the basket from 50' and in. i like the high risk high reward personally and doing it this way, most days i dont miss from inside 30' either but dont leave myself anything more than 15 or 20. this approach to putting has lowered my scores quite a bit over the past couple of years. i just dont get the aim consistently with a soft throw.

Latest posts