• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else not like using putters or have a hard time with them?

In my opinion, Gateway putters are by far and away better than anything else out there! I've got a Warlock SSS (super stupid soft) and never looked back. I know Gateway has a few different levels of plastic, but the SSS is all I know since I wanted the softest, grippiest, straightest putter out there. I wsa actually trying to order an Aviar online but the store was out of them and the guy that worked there told me he would send me this disc at no extra charge and promised I'd love it...he was right...try some Gateway stuff and if you don't like them I'll trade you some Rocs or Wasps or something for them:)

My gf uses her Beast to putt with. She's tried discs that are designed to putt but keeps coming back to her Beast. She's pretty deadly with it so I've stopped trying to convince her to use something else.

it seems like putting technique may be the issue if you're missing short putts. Everyone's got their fav putters but that's like splitting hairs. I think i developed some type of a push putt technique i saw on youtube that looked simple. Give that a try. Once you have a solid technique down - you get a confidence. Then later on you might find some putters that are better for different techniques and you can experiment.

Also the funny thing about the "push putt" technique is you can use a driver as effectively as a putter within say 15 feet so you can still hate putters

go what works for you, but eventually you will find that using drivers/mids for putting can be VERY tricky in wind and elevation...the roll aways and skips can kill you, not to mention a putter tends to "stick" in the chains better(imo)

Use what you feel confident with.
There's nothing wrong with putting with a Roc, if you feel cinfidence and it goes in the basket.
You may find one day that a putter disc will work better, but use what works for you now.
Don't worry about what works for everything else, you're the one who has to make the throw.
Maybe try a putter during a practice round, when you're fooling around.
Use what works for you.

A lot of people don't like putters, especially new players. The deep rims are hard to get a comfortable grip with, especially if you have been throwing high-speed drivers. The transition from the large rim and low profile to the small, deep rim requires a different grip for most players. So getting used to them takes some time and practice, something many people don't or can't do. So, they end up putting with something else that feels more comfortable.

However, pretty much 100% of people I know who have taken the time to practice and develop thier game uses a putter. The larger profile hits and sticks in the chains better. They are less LSS and easier to put on a straight line with a putting motion. They don't have a ton of glide, so they leave you with a decent come-back attempt when you miss. There really isn't a downside to putting with them, other than the comfort factor. Once you figure out the grip, that is no big deal.

Personally, I hated putters for years as a casual player. Back then there was no such thing as putters, everything was a "driver" or an "all-purpose" disc. Most of the discs now considered putters were "all-purpose" discs, which is a better term for them since they are good for putting, approach shots and short to medium drives. Anyway, I hated the way they felt in the hand. It took a couple of years to get used to them. However, back then discs like the Aviar and Phantom were the "go-to" discs for most of the players I knew, so I kept trying to work with them. Once I figured out the grip, it was all good. That was 15+ years ago, and I never really think about it. The Aviar has been a staple of my bag for so long that I forgot that I hated the blasted disc when I started.

go what works for you, but eventually you will find that using drivers/mids for putting can be VERY tricky in wind and elevation...the roll aways and skips can kill you, not to mention a putter tends to "stick" in the chains better(imo)

I agree 100%. Putters will stick better, had a tendency not to fly too far past the basket, and you can have more control with a putter. I think the reason you don't like putters, is that you just haven't found one that you like. It took me quite a while, but I finally found putters that work for me.

Or is it just me? I have noticed I make much better putts with my Roc or any mid-range/fairway driver rather than a putter. I will miss short putts with my Aero or RPro Dart. It just seems more flimsy and doesn't flight straight rather than another disc.

Maybe it's just me, haha.

I originally purchased an Aero as a "long distance" putter, since I had trouble throwing anything more than 15' or so with my Soft Magnet. I now use the Aero virtually solely as an approach disc, and it works great in that capacity - floats well, but once it's down, it's DOWN. I've tried putting with it some, and hate it for that, for the reasons others have mentioned. Find a friend (or make one) that has a bunch of different putters and try several. I like the Banger GT a lot, and only found it recently from borrowing a ton of my friend's putters.

BLM

If the disc is coming out of your hand and wiggling around then I would say it is just your grip. fan out your three fingers under the disc and put your pointer finger around the outside and maybe a little bit under the rim. Then start low and push the disc out and end with your hand pointing towards the pin.

I also have a hard time with your traditional putters, but I do not substitute a putter with a mid-range or a driver. I finally found a putter that flies dead straight and accurate and is so gummy that it always drops in.....and that's the Ching JuJu.

I used to hate how putters felt in my hands. I got advice from a local pro that I should work on using putters for shorter approaches and drives, so I went to a field with a stack of putters, and threw them over and over. It took a while, but I started to figure out how they flew and how to get distance and accuracy out of them. Once I did this for a while, the putters started feeling more natural in my hand, and I started seeing a lot more putting accuracy. For me it was all about getting my hand used to holding the deep rims.

I'm hot and cold with putting. When I'm cold I switch discs around until I find one that's working. I'll putt with just about anything but tend to stick to Aviars and Aeros. When they aren't working I'll putt with mids, drivers, whatever. Putting is 99% in your head - and the best way to get good at it is to practice practice practice.

I'm hot and cold with putting. When I'm cold I switch discs around until I find one that's working. I'll putt with just about anything but tend to stick to Aviars and Aeros. When they aren't working I'll putt with mids, drivers, whatever. Putting is 99% in your head - and the best way to get good at it is to practice practice practice.

I agree

I was told years ago when the putting goes cold dont change your putter because its not the discs fault. If you change the putter, your not focusing on the real problem

I putted for the longest time with a Roc when I first started playing and didn't mind. But now even with the short putts I feel uncomfortable not getting my putter out to put it in. For putting it makes since to me just because of the more float/glide you get with a putter. For driving it took me a while to get comfortable throwing a putter on a distance line but after a few putter only rounds I started to get a lot more comfortable.

I use my putter when it is not too windy, but on windy days (at least 15 mph) I use my midrange. My putting is the part of my game that needs the most work, regardless of the disc I use. I lose out on many birdies due to inconsistent putting. Good luck with your putting game, Brett.

I know it is probably short lived but I used my Latitude Spike for the first time tonight and it is awesome. The SSS Wizard is out of the bag for the time being. This thing replaces 3 discs.

I was told years ago when the putting goes cold dont change your putter because its not the discs fault. If you change the putter, your not focusing on the real problem

True, but sometimes changing putters can let you get back to focusing on your mechanics rather than how many putts you've been missing with your regular putter.

Latest posts