• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else putt with a non-putter

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
Like many of you, I've tried nearly everything when it comes to putting. I was very happy with putting with my Envy's but i have been getting much better results with my Axiom Hex's (5,5,-1,1). I really do not know why but I can much more confident and been draining more long putts with it. The Envy and Proxy are still my go to throwing putters. The Hex for some reason or another is really working for putting

Nope. I'll occasionally tap out with whatever is handy but straight up putts I just putt better with a putter.

Fortunately for you there are no restrictions on which discs you can use for what so if it works for you then stick with it. Maybe it's the lower profile that agrees with your style?

Putt with what you putt best with. Just be sure to include 3 putts in the equation. I find i tend to have longer comeback putts with a faster disc,

Yes, about my first 4 months of playing I didn't have a putter, I putted with my first disc a Valkryie. We can have high wind winter/spring, in my first two seasons I putted with a Pro Valkryie from anywhere in C1 and C2, lost the disc last year. This past winter a Star Destroyer, traded it in earlier this year when I decided to change out my bag for MVP's. In a few months I'll be practicing with an Octane, Relativity, and Catalyst I expect one of those to be chosen. The speed and weight of these discs for my purposes glide right into the basket in high wind, and I ram putt within 15 feet, and start to hyzer putt with increased distance. Manageable wind I've been putting with a Pig the past two years.

In C2 I'm likely to still putt with whatever disc got me there. Star Mamba's the past few years, and recently just about any MVP disc especially the Wave, these types of discs just seem to be easy to putt with from that distance. Any made putt I make from C2 is likely going to be with a non-putter, and a few weeks ago on back-to-back holes I made about 60-footers with a Photon on both holes. I enjoy experiment putting with new discs. In the past a Hatchet could be sweet to putt.

Disc that sucked from C2 and would likely chain out just about any mid speed specifically Warship and any Roc that I've had. I currently have an Underworld and Buzz forget it, and my Hades is my only high-speed disc that just doesn't seem to work out.

A club member I play with occasionally putts with a Firebird.

If I'm feeling my putt, I may try a gentle stepper with a Hex from deep C2, but I'm usually K3 Reko and K1 Soft Reko (a little more glide). The Hex has left the bag for the M4, and I haven't tried that yet.

Last edited:
I've practiced with fast discs some, but still putt with Wizards primarily. C3, I usually throw my Pig.

Eric Marx (HOFer) putted omegas 20' and out from a split stance but would shift to a straddle putt with a mid at close range. Guessing this had to do with losing worlds in '85 after a short spit through on an old mach basket.

I resisted the putter for years, partially from cheapness as a kid.. We had 4 discs between us, pick a disc and play with it. I used a scorpion the same way... then a buzzz... if it's windy I use something like a hex.

If you are getting results run with it, use it.

Eric Marx (HOFer) putted omegas 20' and out from a split stance but would shift to a straddle putt with a mid at close range. Guessing this had to do with losing worlds in '85 after a short spit through on an old mach basket.

Sounds like a problem with the basket, not his putt. Granted, he might not have known that at the time.

Now that I think about it, I play with a guy that flick putts a star beast (my old 165) and consistently racks up good scores. He has recently added a colt or a stud after 15+ yrs..

Sounds like a problem with the basket, not his putt. Granted, he might not have known that at the time.

The old Machs were designed before the small-diameter disc revolution and optimized to catch larger discs. I think the Mach 2s (with an inner chain assembly) may have been out by then but I have no idea what they were using in Tulsa that year.

Whatever Marx's trauma stemmed from, he put it to good use. I don't remember ever seeing him miss a short one.

Latest posts