• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else sick of noob bashing!

IRL I prefer noobs to posers any day. There is something refreshing about people that don't line up their puts for 3 minutes, decide they need their slightly more beat in wizard out of their stack of 10, and then line up for another 3 minutes before hitting the cage and being pissed. Noobs don't feel the need to bring two drivers to the pad knowing full well which one they will throw, and noobs don't feel the need to carry 22 discs when they will only throw 3 in a round. That being said, a pack of 5+ disc golfers of any ilk are annoying, especially if they are litterbugs.

I like your style, dude.

picture.php

IRL I prefer noobs to posers any day. There is something refreshing about people that don't line up their puts for 3 minutes, decide they need their slightly more beat in wizard out of their stack of 10, and then line up for another 3 minutes before hitting the cage and being pissed. Noobs don't feel the need to bring two drivers to the pad knowing full well which one they will throw, and noobs don't feel the need to carry 22 discs when they will only throw 3 in a round. That being said, a pack of 5+ disc golfers of any ilk are annoying, especially if they are litterbugs.

^^^^^^^

definitions around here:
noobs - fresh to the sport, no one bashes them and generally try to help
chuckers - replace the ch with the 6th letter in the alphabet. their the ones that get bashed and hated on.

^^^Ding, DIng, DING!!!

We have a winner, very true in my eyes. New and wanting to learn great! ****ty and think you know everything except the obvious etiquette, DB

I certianly don't have any issues with new players, just the obnoxious and disrespectful players of which are not always Noobs

I have a rambly little story about old school guys...

My dad was a disc nerd back in the 70's and he got me into disc golf at a very young age. He isn't a ball golf type of dad, and I'm thankful for that. He and his friends would set up object courses and throw at them with freestyle discs because thats what they knew how to throw. All of those guys got really good with lids and knew how to use them.

One of his best friends growing up was a true inspiration. He got into a car accident in high school and was paralyzed from the waist down. Before that he set the unnoficial distance record in Wisconsin throwing down State Street in Madison. After the accident, he continued to play disc, mostly freestyle, but he would still play object courses from his wheelchair. He actually helped my dad become good at disc golf just playing catch. Try playing catch with someone in a wheelchair; if it isn't the equivilent of on the chains it isn't getting caught.

At any rate, years went by and my dad and his friend got older, had kids, jobs, and lives. Every once in a while my dad's friend would come and visit us in Minnesota and stay with us. I still remember the sound of his wheelchair going down two flights of stairs from the guest bedroom to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The guy took those stairs at max speed, he was pretty darn mobile. This was also before people started getting nice road tires on their wheelchairs.

At some point a round of freestyle would always develope. It was frustrating for me because unlike my dad, I couldn't hit his friend with suitable throws, me being used to people that could lunge after bad lines. One shot they would always do together was a big horseshoe shot that my dad's friend would roll across his arms and transition into a nail delay and then hit the disc on edge right back at my dad. I was amazed at the accuracy they had with lids outside in the wind. I asked my dad's friend how he could be that accurate. He said that he just practiced air delays with himself. I was a little confused, so we went down by the lake and he showed me. He would throw the disc straight out over the lake nose up and it would float right back at him. He did this for like 10 throws straight without having to move at all. I later learned he set the para-record for air delays a while ago. I never felt more like a newb then when I watched this guy that was bound to a wheelchair throwing perfect trick shots at will. When we would play catch he could hit me anywhere I wanted with the disc at pretty much any range within 150'. When we played for objects he could bounce a disc off the ground and into a target at will. The skill and accuracy of those shots made me realize how good some of the old school guys really are.

My view on it is pretty simple. As long as you respect the game, it doesn't matter how good you are. If you're out there having fun throwing 150 feet, more power to you. I think people get caught up sometimes and forget that the point of the game is to have fun. Sure, it's more fun if you're good but not everyone cares about their skill level. Me personally, I suck, but I'm trying to get better, and I'm out there simply because I enjoy playing.

I have a rambly little story about old school guys...

My dad was a disc nerd back in the 70's and he got me into disc golf at a very young age. He isn't a ball golf type of dad, and I'm thankful for that. He and his friends would set up object courses and throw at them with freestyle discs because thats what they knew how to throw. All of those guys got really good with lids and knew how to use them.

One of his best friends growing up was a true inspiration. He got into a car accident in high school and was paralyzed from the waist down. Before that he set the unnoficial distance record in Wisconsin throwing down State Street in Madison. After the accident, he continued to play disc, mostly freestyle, but he would still play object courses from his wheelchair. He actually helped my dad become good at disc golf just playing catch. Try playing catch with someone in a wheelchair; if it isn't the equivilent of on the chains it isn't getting caught.

At any rate, years went by and my dad and his friend got older, had kids, jobs, and lives. Every once in a while my dad's friend would come and visit us in Minnesota and stay with us. I still remember the sound of his wheelchair going down two flights of stairs from the guest bedroom to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The guy took those stairs at max speed, he was pretty darn mobile. This was also before people started getting nice road tires on their wheelchairs.

At some point a round of freestyle would always develope. It was frustrating for me because unlike my dad, I couldn't hit his friend with suitable throws, me being used to people that could lunge after bad lines. One shot they would always do together was a big horseshoe shot that my dad's friend would roll across his arms and transition into a nail delay and then hit the disc on edge right back at my dad. I was amazed at the accuracy they had with lids outside in the wind. I asked my dad's friend how he could be that accurate. He said that he just practiced air delays with himself. I was a little confused, so we went down by the lake and he showed me. He would throw the disc straight out over the lake nose up and it would float right back at him. He did this for like 10 throws straight without having to move at all. I later learned he set the para-record for air delays a while ago. I never felt more like a newb then when I watched this guy that was bound to a wheelchair throwing perfect trick shots at will. When we would play catch he could hit me anywhere I wanted with the disc at pretty much any range within 150'. When we played for objects he could bounce a disc off the ground and into a target at will. The skill and accuracy of those shots made me realize how good some of the old school guys really are.

Great story! :thmbup: :hfive::thmbup:
That guy sounds like a treat to watch.
I too think that it's courtesy that separates the new players from the noobs. This is, of course, coming form a noob so take as you will!

I think new players are embraced in the sport of disc golf. Even though i'm a cocky, annoying loud mouth I do my best to help new players. People often ask me for help with their game, on their putting or just an all around approach to the game. They offer money which I decline. It feels good to give back.

BTW, it's just as funny the way the young kids at the weekly random draw doubles act towards the old guys. It's true that some of them are dead weight but after it's over they realize that they can't compete with some of us old men.

I like seeing new players on the course. They lose discs left and right with price tags and no personal information on them. I only wish they would throw the lower speed discs I like.

N00bs are taking OUR jobs and OUR women and I won't stand for it!

I like seeing new players on the course. They lose discs left and right with price tags and no personal information on them. I only wish they would throw the lower speed discs I like.

ya but those high speed discs are so easy to go sell and get a worth while disc for it. lol

The only "bashing" ive seen round the site is on DB noobs. Ive never read a thread where someone says, "Hey i'm new to the sport...yada-yada...I need help with this, and that..." and immediately responses, "YOU SUCK NOOB! GO EAT WORMS, AND I WANT TO KILL YOUR DOG!!!" The only hate i've really read about is obviously the douches who are blatent noobs, referring to their game as a capitol destroyer, and how their tomahawks actually make it rain. I think humble noobs are respected on this site. Members here bendover backwards to have input on what helped them and what worked for them when they were in the infancy of their game. And the jackholes who think advice is for the weak, they are the ones this thread is about. And personally, they need to be bashed for being lame.

cool

I think new players are embraced in the sport of disc golf. Even though i'm a cocky, annoying loud mouth I do my best to help new players. People often ask me for help with their game, on their putting or just an all around approach to the game. They offer money which I decline. It feels good to give back.

BTW, it's just as funny the way the young kids at the weekly random draw doubles act towards the old guys. It's true that some of them are dead weight but after it's over they realize that they can't compete with some of us old men.

I'll be sure to book my FREE Hysell lesson when I come up to Richmond in a month or so. Then maybe I could change my screen name. Straightdisc? Accuratedisc? Moneydisc? Damn, those names suck.

By most people's definition many people on this forum are noobs. .9 years playing, 2300 posts and threads upon threads of them telling people what to throw and how they suck. :wall: This forum is newb heaven.

I'll be sure to book my FREE Hysell lesson when I come up to Richmond in a month or so. Then maybe I could change my screen name. Straightdisc? Accuratedisc? Moneydisc? Damn, those names suck.

I'm not going to sign your chest, back or forehead. I will allow you to shake my hand and I will autograph a few discs for you.

Latest posts