• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone ever not have anyone else to play with?

99% of the rounds I play here in Wisconsin are solo. Unless you count my friends on my iTunes.

When I was in the Twin Cities, I would say that about 50% of my rounds were by myself.

I wouldn't play so often if I didn't play with myself....
Umm, Right.
I still stand by it...

Just curious to see if it's me. I try to get people up for rounds, but no luck. I know a bunch of people, but still nothing. I've asked if it's me, if I smell, whatever. Everyone says, "No, there's nothing wrong with you...yada yada yada."

Just want to see if anyone else experiences this. :wall:

Daniel

Yes, but there literally was NOBODY to play with. Left my putter on teepad on a Sunday summer morning. It sat there until I went back for it 12 hours later. NOBODY plays in Great Bend KS

I play a ton of solo rounds because of my schedule. but often i run into people and get asked to join of i ask to join if the course is busy and people around here are great in that sense. met some great peeps that way.

I myself live in Minnesota a disc golf hotbed. I used to play 5-7 times per week, lately its been leagues Monday and Wednesdays, occasional Thursday league 50% of the time and then 1 other rec day per week. So 3-4 times per week now. I went to the course with just my young 7 month old dog today with no intention to play with anyone. The thing is my local course is kind of like the tv show Cheers where basically there is a core group of 50 league players who frequent the course on non league days. So i ran into a friend and his friend up there and joined and played a 2nd rd as well.

If people refuse to play with you most likely in this order

1. You are NOT fun to play with. Sorry to say this but most disc golfers are dying to meet new people and have a great time out there. If your someone who is telling people to put the beer can/pipe down you wont make alot of friends. If your calling foot faults on rec players they wont wanna play with you, they will wave you on through.

2. You are a "know it all" type of guy out there. What I mean and I have ran into a couple solo players like this, after someone throws a bad shot "I would of done this" or "I saw someone do this yesterday".

These are 2 common reasons I let guys go through and not play with them if I am solo or in groups. Casual rounds are supposed to be fun, most guys I play casual with are NOT league players. Let them enjoy the game at a pace they enjoy.

I'd say I now play a majority of solo rounds because of most of the reasons most people have already stated. I tend to have the best and worst rounds solo and have lost a lot of plastic playing solo. Meeting random people while playing solo is pretty nice, the majority I have ran across in all sorts of areas seem to be pretty friendly and fun to play with.
I also make sure to mix in some rounds with my buddies who are more casual players and also rounds with players better than myself in leagues, tourneys or club outings. I find if I play too much by myself I can get really frustrated and a casual round or two will help fix that.

The course isn't as busy around here as it use to be,but I plan on fixing that after I get the whole course cleaned up. Hopefully more people will start to come out here.

Back on topic. Most of the time I play Solo. I've tried joining in with groups,but most don't want to play with me either. I don't know if my throwing intimidates them or my horseshoe mustache just puts them off. :D

Anymore it's just the regular guys I play with on Sundays and the occasional Thursday night doubles is when I get to play with some people. It stinks playing by yourself all the time.

I usually play alone..

1 none of my friends play, ( ball golf is a different story seems everyone plays, and I do as well)

2. The hours I work, I usually play early mornings weekdays, so most people are at work. This means I get the entire course to myself most times so I can throw as many shots as I like without feeling rushed. Great being a newbie.

I have met one man that plays early mornings and he and I have played a couple rounds together, I always enjoyed it.. Usually If I see someone playing solo I'll just ask "hey you want to play through together? But I think you just have to use a little judgment... I'm an old dude.. so less likely to ask a young teenager who might think its weird or uncool that a old guy in the woods wants to cramp his game..

Just size up the situation.. be yourself, and ask.. nothing ventured nothing gained.

no reason to start a new thread and this one was even necro bumped so we should use it. Anyone got any funny stories about being approached to play together or turning someone down for a round?

I was with a friend playing who is always annoying. He throws tantrums and rage quits all the time. Problem is he doesn't drive so he kind of just stands around angry and waits for the next hole while we laugh at him for being so butthurt. Anyway I'm with him and this little creepy guy with a small dog comes up pushing a stroller cart and talking 100 miles an hour. He looked cracked out and was very hyper. We told him no we were practicing for a tournament (which was true) and I don't like playing with dogs that I don't know are trained and will behave (also true)

I felt a little bad but hey I don't know him and he's acting like a nutjob. He ended up being some old school player that everyone knows but don't play with much.....I've played maybe three rounds with the guy since then. He's ok, still very cracked out acting, and says horrible things to his dog in a loving tone. Weird is an understatement but I'm glad I got to meet him still. I love throwing a shot and him asking what new disc that is and I'll explain it's a DD whatever and then he goes into a tirade about how he'll never leave innova lol. Like he's sponsored or would be cheating. I did notice he snuck a DD Suspect in the bag between rounds we played. He's trying to hide it but he loves it.

When I lived in KC it was like this. I just moved to he area and didn't know anyone so I would just go play a round with myself. I ended up meeting a really cool girl out there( gave her a champ stingray, which became her go to) thn I moved to Oregon and I just talked to people. Hey can I join you guys? No, ok well cya later

I play 50% or so alone. I just look at it as I can just stay home and get a workout on my exercise bike which I do all winter and gets boring or I can go out and basically have a hike while throwing discs. Also as my thread stated discgolf is like a moving meditation for me and I just lose myself in nature and in the game. It doesnt even feel like Im alone, its like I just become integrated into nature. Ive always loved natural settings over suburbs, cities, stripmall BS tho. Just so much more relaxing, no pollution really and a beautiful setting.

I have this issue. I moved to the twin cities a few years ago from up north MN. Most (basically all of them) of the people I work with down here don't play or don't want to try. I usually end up going myself and just either join up with people or I just throw different lines and try other stuff.

I used to play most of my rounds alone. Now it's about half. I find I play better alone, because I'm not rushed. But, I certainly have more fun when I'm playing in a group. It does suck, because nobody that I play with has my schedule.

Up in SF I don't know that many people yet so I usually trek out to the course alone. Though I hate speaking in generalities, one of the cool things about disc golf is the people who play are generally chill. Even though I go out alone most of the time, there's usually a group which invites me to play the round with them. You get to meet some interesting people that way.

I frequent SF alone sometimes :clap:

I play alone more than I play with other. Reasons being is that I travel and move alot, I haven't got to really settle anywhere in a while so I haven't got to be part of a good ol' disc golf community like I miss back home in Toledo, OH.

Even then, my closest friends don't play as much as me, they are causal chuckers.

But like others said, this allows me to experiment a lot, and at places like Golden Gate you can usually find a group to play with, if that's your thing. Most times I enjoy playing alone.

I play solo rounds mostly. I'm lucky if I can get in two rounds a week. A job, a family, and a house, can really get in the way of disc golf.

I'd rather play alone and often turn down requests to play with a group of people. I can play a couple rounds in the same amount of time that it takes for a group to play one and my time is precious.

Sometimes I've turned people down because I'm on a tight schedule and would like the get the course completed by a certain time. Other than that, I'm always good for meetups, especially if I'm not familiar with the layout.

Latest posts