• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone From Maryland

Eco81

Double Eagle Member
I am going to be spending a weekend down at the Blockhouse(Grange) and am looking to hit a course or 2 on the way home. I was thinking either Rockburn or Patapsco. Which one is a better? Or is there a course that I am missing there on 95?

GLong is a good guy to ask about this. I played Rockburn, it was OK. Druid Hill is much better and not much farther away.

Heard good things about patapsco.

Rockburn is easier access off the 95, Patapsco will be less crowded and has less schule to deal with. Both offer good challenges. Patapsco long to long is my favorite layout in the state.

As others mentioned, there are a couple others worthwhile too. Let me know if ya need more info.

Rockburn is within 5 minutes of I-95 but has gravel tees and some stickers off the fairway, I like it though. Holes 3 & 4 are past hole 5, print a map.

I played Scarborough 3 times last year as a day trip from Philly, it has 2 sets of great tees and great elevations. Hole 16 is a bitch uphill. 15 and 18 are too much a like and it has a weak finish.

Patapsco is a slightly better course than Rock and Scar with 2 sets of great tees and 2 baskets on each hole but further out of your way.

You can't go wrong with any of these 3

btw, Druid is under rated.

Well i have to disagree. Druid Hill is very over-rated. While both Scarboro and Rockburn are under-rated gems. Scarboro may be a little friendlier this time of year since Rockburn has some lost disc potential when the vegetation is all grown in.

IMO Patapsco is the best course in the state and is well worth the extra drive time. Be sure to stop by Disc Outfitters on your way past. They have an excellent store right off I-95.

Everything considered, if I were driving north to PA on I-95, i'd choose to stop at Scarboro Hills.

Druid Hill was the best looking, best laid out course I have played. Only course I enjoy more is my home course.

Rockburn is within 5 minutes of I-95 but has gravel tees and some stickers off the fairway, I like it though. Holes 3 & 4 are past hole 5, print a map.

I played Scarborough 3 times last year as a day trip from Philly, it has 2 sets of great tees and great elevations. Hole 16 is a bitch uphill. 15 and 18 are too much a like and it has a weak finish.

Patapsco is a slightly better course than Rock and Scar with 2 sets of great tees and 2 baskets on each hole but further out of your way.

You can't go wrong with any of these 3

btw, Druid is under rated.

rockburn has mixed tees, most of the gravel ones have been replaced and the less polished teepads are still in decent condition. the schule can be brutal in spots though. patapsco is great but you have to play long to long IMO or you don't get the full experience.

Well i have to disagree. Druid Hill is very over-rated.

not over-rated one bit. it has 27 holes, 2 tees per hole on the original 18, and a wonderful mix of open and wooded. plus some nice elevation mixed in.

Last edited:
scarboro and rockburn are two of the best courses in maryland. rockburn will make you work harder to stay in the fairways but I am a Scarboro club member and love the way it plays. Patapsco is an awesome course too if you can get there. Honestly, I play Druid at least once a week and it is boring compared to the other courses(unless you're going to play the x-holes which can be tricky to navigate), I think it all depends on the time you have. Druid will play faster than the others but I personally think you would have more fun at Scarboro-Patapsco-Rockburn (in that order)

MD off I95

I am going to be spending a weekend down at the Blockhouse(Grange) and am looking to hit a course or 2 on the way home. I was thinking either Rockburn or Patapsco. Which one is a better? Or is there a course that I am missing there on 95?

Rockburn is less than five minutes off I95, and offers a variety of challenges. Note, however, that the lost-n-found forum for Rockburn is longer than all the other Maryland courses combined! :eek:

Druid is ~15 minutes (city streets) off I95, and offers two tees each for 18 baskets. There are 9 more X-holes, but you'd definitely need a guide to find them.

Patapsco, with two tees and two baskets per hole, offers lots of options - play it as hard as you want! It'll be ~25 minutes off I95, heading west on I70 then up Marriotsville Road. $5 per person to enter the park.

Scarboro is another good course, with two tees each for the 18, but three of the baskets (3, 6, 12) have recently been vandalized, so aren't' playable. Maybe ~20 minutes off of I95.

My suggestion - if you have lots of time, head over to Patapsco, and play a couple of rounds. If you're pressed for time, Rockburn, by far, is the most efficient for I95 travellers. All four courses are good-to-great, so if there is a particular style you prefer, read the reviews, and pick what appeals to you most! ;)

Honestly, I play Druid at least once a week and it is boring compared to the other courses(unless you're going to play the x-holes which can be tricky to navigate)

if it's boring then why do you play it at least once a week? what's your average score on wood tees plus x-holes?

it feels like a ball golf course. i personally enjoy the change of pace compared to everything else in the state. and the x-holes are easy to navigate. i've given people directions on the phone and they had no problems getting around. there is only one walk between holes and it takes about a minute.

Well if you're going to consider Patapsco (it's not exactly off 95 - it's at least a 1/2 hour detour) then you should throw Seneca and Giles Run into consideration. Giles is big boomer but surrounded by briars. Seneca has three 9 hole loops, lots of shade, multiple tees and good elevation. Seneca and Patapsco are definitley the best courses in MD. Scarboro is fun and not far off the highway. Rockburn is close to the highway also - guess it depends on how much extra time you've got to play.

if it's boring then why do you play it at least once a week? what's your average score on wood tees plus x-holes?

it feels like a ball golf course. i personally enjoy the change of pace compared to everything else in the state. and the x-holes are easy to navigate. i've given people directions on the phone and they had no problems getting around. there is only one walk between holes and it takes about a minute.

I didn't say it's boring, I said it was compared to the others that were being offered up. I played TNT every Thursday night and always have a blast there. It is still a great course but I think the others are more challenging in general. I've only done X-holes a couple of times and it's not terrible, but it can be confusing if you don't have a map. Just threw my opinion in the mix.

GLong is a good guy to ask about this. I played Rockburn, it was OK. Druid Hill is much better and not much farther away.

Heard good things about patapsco.

No way is druid better than rockburn, unless Rockburn is not being maintained. Patapsco green monster is the way to go. I have played every course in Maryland and I suggest...staying in Virginia :)
Loriella, Hawk Hallow and The Blockhouse make me want to stay in Spotsy all of the time.

Last edited:
I have played every course in Maryland and I suggest.......staying in Spotsy as long as possible.
play loriella, hawk hallow and the blockhouse before you think about coming into Maryland. :D

This brings up an issue with reviews - seasons. I've played Rockburn twice. I loved it in the winter, but I spent a lot of the summer round looking for discs in thorns.
I played Scarboro in summer/winter and summer wasn't too bad. Plus you're north of Baltimore, so you're already past the heart of the traffic. Scarboro is very pretty and very relaxed. Not a hectic city course. It's been a little while but Scarboro was at least as navigable as the other two courses.

Also, I know you're just asking about MD courses, but the exit for Iron Hill (Delaware) is the last MD exit on 95 (I believe it's 109). GPS Iron Hill as there's a short-cut right off the highway that makes it a very quick trip.

Patapsco, Druid and Scarboro are great courses but I'd say Scarboro is the best in my opinion. Some open holes, some technical. Also, if you venture up toward White Marsh/Nottingham check out Pine Grove Middle School. I play there once a week and I love it. It can be a bit of a challenge too especially the 16th hole

thanks for eveyones info. We ended up playing seneca on the way down. A couple rounds at the blockhouse and then rockburn on the way home

Latest posts