• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone highly offended by the term frolf?

I don't like the term 'Hippygolf". I am about as far from a hippie as you can get!I don't care for the term "Frisbee golf " either cause the only time I used a frisbee was the first time I ever played and did'nt know any better!:p

Frolf bugs me and makes me laugh. It's best used as a punchline by people who know better.

I agree with the post suggesting that "Frisbee" is a word much like "Kleenex," "Xerox," or "Band-Aid," where the trademarked name became so synonymous with a product that the trademark name and the non-trademark name are synonymous in most people's minds.

Think of it like this: if Wham-O didn't own the word "Frisbee," would we have ever started calling these things we throw "discs?" -- probably not. We would have stuck with the word "frisbee" (notice the lack of capitalization) because it is a unique word that to the popular mind describes roughly-flat, circular, plastic, hand-thrown flying objects that exhibit properties of lift, glide, etc...

So I will never get offended when people call something "frisbee golf," because that's the most obvious, easily-understood term for what we are doing. At some point, usually with humor, I'll give people a little context for why serious players call the sport "disc golf," all tying back to the history of flying Frisbe pie-pans and Wham-O patents, etc... but that's just a little too disc-nerdy for an opening conversation with someone about the sport.

Get 'em hooked first, then bring out the history.

But yeah, "frolf," -- it just makes me laugh because all I can think of is George Costanza. And Costanza ALWAYS makes me laugh. He's that guy with the totally absurd (but believable) life that always makes me glad to be ME and not HIM. George just makes me feel better about myself.

The "Summer of George" episode with the Frolf reference was just on TV in Raleigh yesterday. It reminded me of this thread.

Seinfeld... That show was brilliant.

Check this out -- there is a apparently a group of "frolfers" trying to distance themselves from disc golf. Weird stuff.

http://frolf.com/

I like the standard rules.

Standard Rules
There are no hard fast rules other than the Spirit of the Game, only standard rules.

Calling "standard rules apply" before a shot means that the following rules are applied to the current shot only. As with all rules, they are subject to negotiation and discussion. The idea is more important than the explicit rule.

3 Second Rule - After 3 seconds, a claim becomes accepted if it is not contested. All parties must hear the claim, and everyone has the opportunity to contest the claim.
Mob rules - the group can vote to decide actual outcomes of a shot. If the mob does not believe that the interaction with the girl was a bonus because she wasn't beautiful, then it wasn't a bonus shot.
Explicit Rules - All rules must be called out before the first person takes their shot.
Inconsiderate Boob Rule - If you walk between the person shooting and the hole, the person shooting can throw their disc at you. If they hit you, they can pick up their disc at either the location of the inconsiderate boob or where the disc landed, whichever is more advantageous to the thrower. If the thrower misses the inconsiderate boob, then the throw is taken as a shot and the thrower must play that throw.

I like this too:

"Frolf does not typically use Disc Golf discs as Disc Golf discs cause harm when they accidentally hit someone or something in a public place. Disc Golf discs are designed to cut through trees, where as Frolf discs are designed to do no harm in a social situation. To the Disc Golf fanatic (yes, you are out there), these recommendations will appear crazy. To the Frolf enthusiast, these recommendations only make more sense over time."

All I want to know is where can I get one of these disc golf discs that is designed to cut through trees?!? Do they think we are throwing circular saw blades?

I like this too:

"Frolf does not typically use Disc Golf discs as Disc Golf discs cause harm when they accidentally hit someone or something in a public place. Disc Golf discs are designed to cut through trees, where as Frolf discs are designed to do no harm in a social situation. To the Disc Golf fanatic (yes, you are out there), these recommendations will appear crazy. To the Frolf enthusiast, these recommendations only make more sense over time."

All I want to know is where can I get one of these disc golf discs that is designed to cut through trees?!? Do they think we are throwing circular saw blades?

The carnage from my tee shot:

lswk9.jpg

Yeah I think the term "frolf" is terrible.

I also refer to the other type of golf as "ball golf" to emphasize that there's more than one kind of golf out there. I am sure I also sound like a big nerd when I do this, but don't care. :)

wow i cannot believe that frolf website, seems like a game my buddies play in a graveyard......*creepy* Also i cant believe i just used the term frolf in a serious sentence.....ughhh i hate that *f* word!

Yeah I think the term "frolf" is terrible.

I also refer to the other type of golf as "ball golf" to emphasize that there's more than one kind of golf out there. I am sure I also sound like a big nerd when I do this, but don't care. :)

I play both and refer to the other as "Ball Golf" too. I am always hoping someone asks and they usually do..."What other type of golf is there."

For the record, I could really care less what they call it, as long as more and more people learn about disc golf.

On a side note, if it makes you feel better about our sport's kid-brother relationship with the old ball & club game, just start calling it "ballf."
I like that. Probably will start using it :)

A Frisbee is meant to be thrown and caught by a person. A disc is meant to be thrown for distance. I spout this at people who call the game "frolf."

I admit "frolf" does get under my skin. But after many years of hearing it outside of the courses, I've tuned it out in my head. I almost never hear it on a course anymore. But I played a new course recently and behold two "older-than-me" gentlemen playing with the Wham-O's. It will never go away...

I always laugh when people quote what something was designed to do and suggest that it is somehow incorrect to use it for something else. Frisbees were "designed" to hold a pie Someone then discovered you could also throw them. I'm guessing that sometime after the throwng discovery was made people discovered the catching aspect. Then freestyling, throwing to your dog, and golf. At this point it's still a frisbee. The term disc didn't come about until companies other than Wham-o started making them and the only reason they didn't call them frisbees was because of copyright laws. So next time you come running to me bleeding to death screaming "I need a Band-Aid" I'm gonna watch you bleed out cuz all I have is a "self adhesive bandage" and they're different, right?

lets have some fun

:Dmaybe its because i haven't been playing since the start of the sport, but the term frolf just seems like slang and its not really a big deal. but something i do know is frisbee golf , disc golf , or frolf , is a really great way to spend the day. and remind me not to invite this guy to my foursome.... OUCH

This post is not definately NOT intended to be super serious or anything.

Disc golf is ok, frisbee golf is ok, frolf makes me want to punch things.

Is that guy "frolfing" at the mouth?

"I cant wait to go FROLFING" "Yo do you guys wanna go FROLFING?!?!?!" "Hey, did you see that amazing FROLF shot over there?!?!" " I can't wait to go down to the local FROLFING store and pick me up some FROLF discs!!!!" lets see is there any other ways I could use the world frolf.......FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF

If you get mad by people saying that...haha

"I cant wait to go FROLFING" "Yo do you guys wanna go FROLFING?!?!?!" "Hey, did you see that amazing FROLF shot over there?!?!" " I can't wait to go down to the local FROLFING store and pick me up some FROLF discs!!!!" lets see is there any other ways I could use the world frolf.......FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF FROLF

If you get mad by people saying that...haha

and you choose that as your 1st post.

Latest posts