• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone throw overstable discs as rollers?

Apothecary

Banned
Gold level trusted reviewer
ive been messing around with my rollers lately and i love rolling my not-so-beat-in heavy star wraith. getting some super long numbers (450', about 80' past the pin on a perfect line to the basket today).

i know the general consensus is to throw understable stuff for rollers...is conventional wisdom correct?

anyone else roll with a more overstable disc?

I (try to) throw short get out of trouble overhead rollers with my Flick, with erratic and modest success at best. It's kind of like the rest of my game. Erratic and at best modestly successful.

i only would use understable if the intent is to get distance in the air before becoming a roller, they tend to be more accurate to set down

but i do use more overstable discs for rollers also, usually extreme anny, an angry poor form, setting the disc down 40ish feet out... these have been my longest rollers, straightest lines, but they go bad easy - one early hop and your hundreds of feet in the wrong direction
lot more room for error/chance if your air out the first few hundred feet
(thats how kenny does it :)

also, i have only used a FH roller a few times... so i offer no good advise to those other than overstable is more reliable, but less stable seems to give you a wider s-path, which is nice if you need that kinda line

I have better luck with overstable discs for forehand rollers and understable discs for backhand, but I only really use rollers as a recovery shot most of the time.

I use a regular Z Avenger for rollers and have been for the past year or so. Before I had used a somewhat stable 2nd run Surge but found the Avenger to be better at holding lines.

Surge is still in there for rollers hitting outside of 240ft but the Avenger works very well at everything from tight "S's", to straight lines with a slight right turn, and even long cut rollers.

Anyway I would stick to that and Schweb even uses Firebirds for backhands

you mentioned the s curve...what i like about my wraith is that there is little to no s curve. i lay it down at about 11:00 (RHBH) about 80-100' out and it VERY rarely turns over past 12:00. whenever i throw a flippy disc for a roller, i have to incorporate the s curve. my wraith seems to eliminate that, simplifying the roller line and making it more controllable.

i used to roll with a pro wraith and a champ wraith...never tried my star before.....i currently roll my champ valk which is very very understable and does "S" a lot....ive been meaning to get another champ wraith to roll with but just havent got around to it

Last edited:
I would say it would depend on the stability and how much the disc is broken in. I have a pro wraith that I can get to roller just because it, like the dx wraith I have, break in faster. I usually throw a beat in dx valk that I can throw flat and it flips to roller. The other disc I throw for FH rollers is an overstable star max. Those are good for holding a line and the torque that you get from the FH speed. Overall if you can get a certain disc, whether it is overstable or understable, to do what you want go with it, it all depends on how the disc works for you and your throwing style, as well as how fast the disc keeps or loses its flight characteristics.

I think conventional wisdom is backhand - less stable, forehand - more stable but If you've got a lot of pop I've seen folks get some mammoth drives with backhand cut rollers. A buddy of mine used to borrow my Monster for one on old #9 (pre-redesign) at Seneca and drive the B pin at 415' down a heavily wooded fairway.

ive been messing around with my rollers lately and i love rolling my not-so-beat-in heavy star wraith. getting some super long numbers (450', about 80' past the pin on a perfect line to the basket today).

i know the general consensus is to throw understable stuff for rollers...is conventional wisdom correct?

anyone else roll with a more overstable disc?

longest rollers i have ever had were with a banshee. if you can get them up overstable discs will hold a line rolling forever.

Not on purpose, but I've done some nice cut rollers by accident with them, both forehand and backhand. I'm sure I will mess around with them some more in the coming warm months (they're coming, right?)

you mentioned the s curve...what i like about my wraith is that there is little to no s curve. i lay it down at about 11:00 (RHBH) about 80-100' out and it VERY rarely turns over past 12:00. whenever i throw a flippy disc for a roller, i have to incorporate the s curve. my wraith seems to eliminate that, simplifying the roller line and making it more controllable.

Meaning I can make it do a tight "S" if I want. For Distance you still need to play a small S and the stability makes it hold longer at both ends meaning more D.

I use more overstable discs for rollers. I throw them out about 200 feet at about 70 to 80 degrees. I really torque them so there is a lot of spin. An overstable disc will hold this angle longer and go farther without turning on it's top too early and losing distance. I have rolled Teebirds, TLs, Beasts, Champ Valks, Star Destroyers, and now Champ Boss (a little beat in). Am experimenting now with a Nuke ESP, and Star Katanas. they are really long but not too predictable yet in their path on the ground. I like an overstable disc because any wind from almost any direction doesn't mess with it too much.

I don't have a backhand roller to speak of, but I use a Firebird for forehand rollers and stays up for a good long time before it turns over.

I picked up a max weight Pro D Force for flick rollers and it have been working out great,

I use overstable discs for flick rollers. And don't forget about using putters for rollers too- you've seen how far they can roll when you miss a putt, imagine how far they could roll if you were trying!

I use overstable discs for flick rollers. And don't forget about using putters for rollers too- you've seen how far they can roll when you miss a putt, imagine how far they could roll if you were trying!

Pretty sure the World record roller is still with a putter.

I get more power pulling straight across the old nipples so I use understable disc and flip them into rollers but anyone that saw Avery at disc Nation a couple months back saw him grab a Destroyer (and it was brand new) on request and throw a roller that went well into the tall grass. To do it he had to pull in a rainbow arch over his head and still put enough power on the disc to make it maintain a high speed turn out to about 300' where it hit the ground on edge. I wouldn't have believed you could backhand roll a destroyer if I had not seen it with my own eyes but it's definitely possible it you're an elite pro.

Last edited:

Latest posts