• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

anyone use a modified ball golf extendo-retriever-thing-a-ma-jigs?

colodiscgolfer

Eagle Member
I saw of the folks at a tourney this past weekend with the telescoping golf ball water hazard retrievers like this:
base_media

that were modified to grab a disc. I am thinking of putting one of these together, and just wanted to get ideas from others that have made these, so I can learn from your successes and mistakes. I actually have access to a full machining shop, so I can custom fabricate just about any type of grabbing device for the tip of it that I can come up with.

if you have success with this i will be very interested. one of my local courses has a few tough water hazards to deal with. you should def post about it if you get one (or more) made.

My buddy has a 35 foot kite pole that will work everywhere the retriever wont. That thing is money

I saw a few with hooks, some with a rake type tip, and even one that used a suction cup. I'm not sure which way I'm leaning yet, but thought I'd see if anyone else had come up with anything else.

A local guy here makes these things and he's sold a few. All you need is a telescoping pole with a hook on the end. One version looks just like the posted picture except he drilled a hole on the end of the circle part and screwed a hook into it. Other versions just have a hook on the end of the pole. They work well for getting discs out of trees too if the disc isn't up too high.

I've never had much trouble finding a stick when I needed one, so I don't feel a need to carry one around myself. But my friend seems to like his a lot.

I saw a few with hooks, some with a rake type tip, and even one that used a suction cup. I'm not sure which way I'm leaning yet, but thought I'd see if anyone else had come up with anything else.

The buddy I was talking about built one with both a hook and a suction cup once, but he never found the suction cup to be much use.

I saw of the folks at a tourney this past weekend with the telescoping golf ball water hazard retrievers like this:
base_media

that were modified to grab a disc. I am thinking of putting one of these together, and just wanted to get ideas from others that have made these, so I can learn from your successes and mistakes. I actually have access to a full machining shop, so I can custom fabricate just about any type of grabbing device for the tip of it that I can come up with.
i just use mine the way it is and i get 15' out of it. i just have to catch the lip of the disc
My buddy has a 35 foot kite pole that will work everywhere the retriever wont. That thing is money
pics?

seems like you could use some sort of grabber...a clamp that opens and closes...

i just use mine the way it is and i get 15' out of it. i just have to catch the lip of the disc

pics?

Dont know, he said he searched kite pole and found it. He said it was 60 bucks or something but worth every penny in my opinion. There arent too many places that thing wont reach. He put a treble hook on the end to catch the discs

seems like you could use some sort of grabber...a clamp that opens and closes...

I've been toying with this idea as well, but the actuation mechanism for the grabber (i.e. trigger) would be very difficult to do with the telescopic nature of the device. I imagine the best way would be to use a thin nylon rope rigged inside the pole that is on a spring coil to retract the unused portion. I could probably work something out, but almost think that a passive system would be easier to make, and probably be better at grabbing discs you can't actually see.

The treble hook is the best thing I have seen