• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are 150’ aces really a deal?

Probably some truth there for sure.

We have a little pitch and putt course near my house and the holes are all about 200' ish. I've hit metal a bunch but nothing has stuck.

If there is a 175 foot hole on a course that averages 325-375 feet a hole, the tee shot is stressful knowing you need to deuce it. If you ace it You will scream loud enough for the whole course to hear.

I am a frequent solo thrower, and have several aces with no witnesses. My buddy Dimar heard me complaining about no witnesses and said, "Shut up about that. An ace is a f____g ace." So I shut about it. An ace is an ace. Witnesses and ace-pots are amazing, but a solo ace is still sweet.

So is an ace on a really short hole really any more special than a 150' throw in on a 400' hole?

The coolness factor on aces is calculated by the following formula

(1000+distance in feet) - (10 x the number of times you have aced the hole) - (total lifetime aces) + ((100 x the number of bounces or skips)+(200 points if you skipped off water)) + (dollars won from ace pot) +(10 x number of players who witness ace{limited to 25 witnesses}) +(500 if it was a roller) + (100 if it was a thumber or chicken wing) + (100 points if it is your first time throwing the disc) + (100 if it is your first time playing the hole) = ace coolness

The coolness factor on aces is calculated by the following formula

(1000+distance in feet) - (10 x the number of times you have aced the hole) - (total lifetime aces) + ((100 x the number of bounces or skips)+(200 points if you skipped off water)) + (dollars won from ace pot) +(10 x number of players who witness ace{limited to 25 witnesses}) +(500 if it was a roller) + (100 if it was a thumber or chicken wing) + (100 points if it is your first time throwing the disc) + (100 if it is your first time playing the hole) = ace coolness

Feet squared. Otherwise, it checks out.

Feet squared. Otherwise, it checks out.

I think there needs to be a multiplier in there somewhere for if it was on film. Like, my overall coolness factor goes up by a specific factor if I can show my friends for years afterwards! And then maybe a multiplier for if it goes viral, if over a million people see it on social media, that's a big deal.

On topic, one of my most memorable and most talked about and most referenced aces (ohhh if it would have been on video...) was maybe 200' tops, Hole 5 CP Adams (the hole info here says 275, but that can't be accurate). I was on one leg (shattered heel bone non weight bearing, supported by an "IWalk" Pirates leg crutch). So I say technically when I threw it I was on zero legs, balancing on my follow through. Was worth $100 or so in cross 51. Definitely a big deal to me :)

Now if you ask me about aces on bald eagle? Meh, if I'm playing a casual round with you and I ace hole 1-5, 8 or 9, I might give you a high five and a smile. If I hit 6 or 7 on the other hand, I might give a shout and talk your ear off about how awesome that was (both around 200', but have never been hit as far as I know). If I have a 150' throw in on hole 10 or 13, I also will be pretty damn excited and talk your ear off about how awesome it was and reference either instance for years to come. "This hole has only been 2'd once, I threw it in from right about here"

Got my first ace ever yesterday on a 126 foot hole. Downhill, blind tee shot with creek right behind the basket. Felt amazing to finally get one. Had it been a totally flat, non-blind, tee shot, it would have still felt great. Plus, it's two strokes on your card in the right direction. You are wrong.

My first ace came two months into my playing career. It was a 167' downhill hyzer playing solo, and it came in a round where I got stuck behind some people and looped back through some holes I'd already played. So was it really an ace? Heck yes it was. And it was just as exciting as my second ace that came in a tournament. I only have four, but they're all exciting no matter the circumstances or the hole. I don't know that you have much right to discount people's accomplishments and attitudes period, but definitely not when they're accomplishing something you haven't experienced. And I'm pretty sure that if your first ace is at your local pitch and putt you're still going to run around like a lunatic and get everyone to sign your disc.

Hole 11 at pathway of the gods is another that I would be pretty excited about and talk about (as well as hole 11a, which doesn't really exist except for in theory, for particular events). Hole 11 is only 111 feet. with about equal elevation gain. I'd say at 90% or more don't make it to the road (anywhere on the road could almost be considered parked, but you still have to make the putt on an elevated pin) much less give it an ace run.

I only have 2 true aces, but in a strange twist, they were on the same hole, but a completely different layout.
Hole #13 Northside Park, Gainesville, FL, early 90s (I stopped playing from 92-2018). First was a totally blind shot, about 225' as I recall, that required a huge flex shot--strong anny on an overstable disc--had to go right of trees to start, left to end, and it had to be about 40' in the air to get close to basket. Heard the chains but didn't know til I got there-completely blind.

Shortly thereafter they changed the course layout, and #13 became a much straighter, but narrow fairway shot into the woods, maybe 275'. My 2nd ace was a skip ace about 6 months after the change. Didn't see that one either, because the basket was tucked behind a tree in the line of sight. 2 career aces, same hole, different hole. :)

Maybe one day I will get one I can watch into the basket. :) I did have a close one just last week on a steep downhill shot that stuck in the cage (got wedged) but that was just a tap-in birdie officially...

For us mortals with a rating that starts with 7,8, or 9, aces are a big deal!

(spoken in Jeff Foxworthy's voice) "If you tell someone "nice putt" after they hit a 169' ace...you might be a douchebag."

The only time I will ever said Nice putt is on holes that are 75-80 feet out under that they aced. This is at top Pro level putting especially with the Modern baskets, a tad harder from past circles edge to 40 feet if using older type models like the even current Mach II, older cage Mach III, unmodified Lighting DB-5 Harder long putts cut through, or similar less chain and older baskets.

I have played one course where all holes were like that in Salines California a small course that used to be behind a hotel that was at one point the original Holiday Inn. I did not say nice putt as all the holes were this way for 90% of the course under 75 feet. Yeah so easy even those crappy fasback like promotional discs could have been used to make par.

I think those short aces can be a big deal depending on when they come and the individual that threw it. Perfect time for this thread because I just got my first ace today on father's day and my son was there! It was a 130' straight shot with woods lining the fairway. Not a real tough hole, but an ace is an ace lol. I get that after a handful of these once you are good it is no big deal, but I was happy considering I have been playing just under 1 year, it was my first one, and I was playing with my son who was able to witness it on Father's day.

An Ace is a personal achievement. Nobody else cares about your Ace.
Set up a tee 8 feet from a basket, throw the disc in, count it as an Ace, if you want.

My personal belief is, the only true Ace is:
#1- over 200' from tee to basket
#2-first throw only

Latest posts