• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are 150’ aces really a deal?

An Ace is a personal achievement. Nobody else cares about your Ace.
Set up a tee 8 feet from a basket, throw the disc in, count it as an Ace, if you want.

My personal belief is, the only true Ace is:
#1- over 200' from tee to basket
#2-first throw only

Do you put down a 2 for any tee pad throw in under 200'?

IMO, its only cool if you call it before you throw. Otherwise it's just a bad shot and the basket got in the way. Well, skip aces are always cool.....as is writing a 1 on the scorecard.

IMO, its only cool if you call it before you throw.

Hmm. Depends how many times you call it vs. how many times it goes in.

"This one's going in!"

*Thwacks first available tree

Do you put down a 2 for any tee pad throw in under 200'?

I say shot from 200-399 count as Aces. Over 399, and you score it as "0." :rolleyes:

1) Either it's a "1" on the scorecard, or it's not.
2) Nobody cares what you chose to include in your life time ace count.

As long as it qualifies for a share of the Ace pool, who cares what anyone else thinks, including the OP?

Last edited:
If I'm playing a complete, scored, round, I count a 1 in my "ace count." I would probably count one if my round was stopped by weather, etc. after it happened, too.

I have had a few "just throwing around my home course 1st throw from a tee goes into the basket" throws. I don't , personally, add them to my ace count.

But it's all up to you what you want to count, as Bogey and others have said. I'd have to figure mine out again but it's about 5-8. So I doubt that anyone would question me anyway. :)

I've played with newer players who could bomb a disc 500' (literally) but could not throw it just 200'. All they knew was distance. No putting and no short game.

I think these are the same people who want to claim a short ace is not a real ace, because they can't throw that short shot.

:popcorn:

An Ace is a personal achievement. Nobody else cares about your Ace.
Set up a tee 8 feet from a basket, throw the disc in, count it as an Ace, if you want.

My personal belief is, the only true Ace is:
#1- over 200' from tee to basket
#2-first throw only

By extension, "holes" less than 200 feet are not really "holes" and should not count at all. Who is going to make all of those changes on this site? I see a lot of 18-hole courses that are going to be reduced to 14 or 15 holes.

Your premise reduces the difficulty of an ace to the distance of the hole as if nothing else (tight line, uphill/downhill) factors in. We have all played 180-foot holes with lots of trees that are more difficult than a wide-open 280 foot hole. Given that, why would the easier hole count as an ace when you score a 1 and the harder hole not count as an ace when you score a 1?

I get that any throw in from the tee pad is technically an ace but how excited do people get from one of those versus maybe a 300' ace?
Every person gets to do what is right in their own eyes, but for me personally, just last Saturday I added a new category to my Ace count list. The category is "Par 2 Ace". I decided this right after I hit a 70 ft ace on a Par 2 putter course. My reasoning is that when an ace is a birdie it doesn't feel like as much as an exciting accomplishment as when an ace is an eagle. 3 of my aces have been on Par 2/Putter/Tiki course holes, so I feel content with counting these separately. Up until Friday June 19, 2020 I always counted every ace on an official course in my Ace list, so your mileage may vary. Every person can decide what they want to do, even if it means defying the Ace Standards Squad (ASS).

I've played with newer players who could bomb a disc 500' (literally) but could not throw it just 200'. All they knew was distance. No putting and no short game.

I think these are the same people who want to claim a short ace is not a real ace, because they can't throw that short shot.

:popcorn:

So, on 200' shots, how far do they throw it....500'? How about 50' shots, still 500'?
How do they get it near the basket, how do they ever finish a round?:popcorn:

Oh brother, we've got the "needs to be X feet long to really count" crowd...as if distance is the only thing dictating hole difficulty.

Here's my criteria:

Was it your first shot off the teepad at a real course?
Did it go in and stay in the correct basket?

If yes to both, it's an ace that you can shamelessly count. Even if it's 80 some feet long and wide open (never seen a disc golf hole like this but whatever)

So, on 200' shots, how far do they throw it....500'? How about 50' shots, still 500'?
How do they get it near the basket, how do they ever finish a round?:popcorn:

I won't try to speak for Jay Dub, but I've played with big arm guys who have trouble with finesse and touch shots and frequently overshoot shorter holes. 50' past a 180' hole and they're shooting par golf at a pitch and putt.