• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are overstable putters overrated?

Are Overstable Putters Overrated?

• Total voters
Rhynos aren't for putting, they're for driving. Throw a few drives with it instead of a buzz or roc and you'll see why people like them.

I love my Zone. When I putt into a strong headwind, I just laser the Zone straight at the basket and it holds that line and rides the wind like a pro. I have also hit many jump putts into a strong headwind by aiming to the right of the basket and letting it hyzer in.

I have also hit many putts around trees where I just aim to the right of the basket and throw it staight and the disc hyzers right in. I also throw short drives into the wind with it because it doesn't turn over easily. If a Zone is not in my bag, then I would lose at least a couple strokes per round.

I use a spike for 90% of my putting and 200-0 approach duty. Right now if its super windy ill put a lot of hyzer on it or just power down my core for shorter shots. There have really only been a few times that a slightly more stable approach disc might have been a better choice.

Rhino is turning into my approach disc. I flipped between the rhino and aviar. So I slumped between missing short or long. Recently I have fallen in love with the VP ridge. However with all the money I spend on putters I could have bought 2 practice baskets by now and solved this problem

I say they are not for one reason, when its windy up here in ny they hold the line better. I also like to use them or an overstable mid when i'm to far to line up in a normal putting stance. because they fade you have a better margin for error meaning if i leave it out to the left (i'm left handed) it will at some point cross the chains hopefully hitting them. If i'm short or long i'm still usually with in 15' (a money putt for me). Because i've had success with my pro pig (the only innova disc in my bag) I've started doing the same thing now with wasps and it takes less effort

Oh no he di-int. Yep, I went there. In the spirit of the legendary, are overstable mids pointless thread, I've decided to throw down the gauntlet on you Rhyno, Pig, Bulldog, Zone, etc throwers.

I found a Champ Rhyno a few days ago and was literally aghast at how glideless and short it was. What's the point of a putter like this if it can't be put on finesse oriented lines? "But BroD, it gets windy here." Okay, couldn't you throw a mid instead when it's really gusting? Sometimes I think some of you guys need to man up and learn to throw a regular putter (Wizard, Aviar, Magnet, etc.) with hyzer instead of chucking some glideless hunk of plastic at the basket like some sort of crutch.

Prove me wrong DGCR faithful. :D
The Soft Pro Rhyno is the greatest P&A disc ever created. If you think they suck you're wrong. You do. :p

Soft overstable putters are great for approaching as they predictably sit right down in front of the basket. Soft overstables are awful for putting as they sit right down in front of the basket I will admit rhinos solved my glide by aviar 3 putting but instead I 2 putted so my scores got better but my putting still sucks.

Soft overstable putters are great for approaching as they predictably sit right down in front of the basket. Soft overstables are awful for putting as they sit right down in front of the basket I will admit rhinos solved my glide by aviar 3 putting but instead I 2 putted so my scores got better but my putting still sucks.
I putt well with my Rhyno. I have an aggressive putting style and it works perfectly for me. If you use it correctly it will hold a perfectly straight line and drop after the basket should you miss. I flirted with the JK Pro Aviar but ultimately went back to the Rhyno. It's the most solid disc in my bag.

Last edited:
I ran hot n cold w soft rainbow putters. I was never confident enough to power putt so I d opt to anny my putts beyond 30 feet problem was when I missed (often) they'd suddenly wanna flip and fly forever Your idea of aiming for the drop to occur just past the basket is intriguing but I am a glide putter and the rhino for me is a cage kisser

I putt and approach with my Zone. Nothing more consistent in my bag. I know what it is going to do, wind or not. I can throw it forehand as well as back hand with consistency.

If I really need an anny putt I have another putter to pull out and if I need a staight drive with little fade at the end I have yet another putter to pull out. Like any other category of disc, one disc in that category won't do in every situation. I still trust my Zone in most situations though.

Putters are all about feel IMO and while I dont use anything more OS than a Wizard or Banger; I have a buddy that uses the same SE Rhyno he has for many many years who putts very well. So well that I could never argue against it. Especially as i try more and more putters but he just nails 40' putts very regularly with the Rhyno.

another vote for the rhyons and pigs

I have enjoyed the option of the thumbtrac on the rhynos and pigs for years. I am also a fan of the gummy/tacky plastic. I have thrown plenty of practice putts in the backyard with DX and KC aviars. I still prefer the feel of the rhyno/pig/JK aviar plastic.

This year, I started using SS and SSS wizards as well for anything inside 40'. I feel that this has helped me improve my short game. However, anytime the wind is above 10 mph I use the pig. IMHO, it is more reliable in the wind than anything else.

The Pig has become my go-to driver/approach disc for most shots under 250'. It has not disappointed with 2 aces and plenty of close calls.

Played against a guy yesterday who used a Zone for really short S shots. He really liked it, but I don't think I would carry a disc only for that role.

Are Wizards considered overstable? Everyone keeps mentioning them and Challengers; I think they should just be considered "stable" since that is what they wear into quickly and stay like for a quite a while. My new E-Wiz is a bit beefy though, and it is more reliable in the wind. I still think the stiffer S plastic is better for general putting duties. I am a swing putter for shorter distances and a hyzer/spin putter for longer (I think jump putting is ridiculous but hey... what do I know).

#1 irk/pet peeve.... "are (insert disc) useful?"

Of course they are useful to someone! and that's all that matters.

My first putter was a Rhyno and I was terrible with it. It was real light and severely affected by wind. I much prefer the heavy Summit or Magic that I have now. They fly straight with little fade and sink putts even in the wind.

Latest posts