• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Are you going APE?

To me it seems like this is the PD2 pretty much. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Schusterick had a proto at doubles last week & it is a beast. It was pretty darn overstable for the guys with big arms & Will said the production run may be beefier. On a side note, he also had a couple C-PD with his sig on them, I think they ran 50 or so. Pretty sweet

To me it seems like this is the PD2 pretty much. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The Ape is going to have a wider rim and a blunter nose which means it will have less glide and probably be faster out of the hand (though slowing down faster due to blunt nose).

I expect that the PD will be a more useful disc all around.

and the xcaliber is 12/5/0/4, looks like Discmania is filling in the holes that Innova has not. Although I am really intrigued by the C-PD2, if anyone has one to let me throw PM, we can work something out. I already throw Xcals and I have an Ape on the way for testing purposes. I would like the throw the C-PD2 at the same time and see how different all 3 really are

Go to your local Dick's or Sports Authority. Do you see any finesse discs? Maybe one or two, but the rest are warp speed drivers as those are what sells the best. At the park, how many people do you see throwing discs like Cheetahs, Gazelles, or other less known fairways/mids? Now how many Katanas, Bosses, and Grooves do you see? Fast stuff sells.

This is one noob who won't be going APE!

But I think all this new super fast stuff sells also because it's all they seem to be distributing to these sporting good stores. I'm rather new to this game and after first being introduced this past summer/fall I finally invested in my own discs over the winter... and the only local retailer I could find with any discs was a Dick's. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to find one eagle and some mid-ranges among all the Grooves and Wraiths. I atleast had a little bit of a clue of what I was looking for since I was able to test out a variety of discs that I had borrowed during my first few months of playing and I found a few that I felt comfortable with... the eagle being one of them. But when I got to Dick's, the selection was very limited compared to the variety of discs that are actually being manufactured. Being on a budget and wanting to find bright colored discs to avoid losing them, I basically ended up gauging my selections on price, color and weight more than anything else. But I still managed to create my own "starter set" which now consists of a Wraith, Roadrunner, Eagle, Shark, Mako, Wolf, and Aviar P&A. I actually couldn't be happier with my selections and have come to like all these discs, although I'd still like to test out some other putters having only ever throw one type. But I am getting alot of consistency from all three drivers and could now throw them all with confidence. The wraith is my lightest (at 166g) and by far my longest disc, but I probably would never have purchased it had my choices not been so limited. I did not want to walk out of the store without having new discs to try out over the weekend so I took the plunge.

I can't blame any company for trying to be innovative and keep creating new products, whether they are necessary or not. It's just what they do, although it does drive me nuts at times. Maybe it's just because the retailers are only ordering the new "hot" items or maybe it's because the manufactuer is using an aggressive marketing scheme, but it definitely limits a newbie's choice when half of the discs in stock are premium plastic grooves and wraiths, and the majority of the remaining half are all Aviar P&A's (the only putter that I've seen available.) I realize there are many alternate online options for purchasing discs and I may have been a little impatient, but here I was, a noob not even wanting high speed plastic with nothing but high speed stuff to choose from. With such an overwhelming variety of discs out there and for someone not really being familiar with all the flight ratings (or the actual flight patterns of the discs) it is not difficult to get sucked into the Groove when it's all that is available.

With that being said, I did have the opportunity to throw a Groove that belongs to a friend and I just couldn't get a feel for it and I couldn't be happier that I stayed away from it. Don't know if it's the wide rims, my inexperience, form, throwing style or what, but I probably won't be driving speed 13 discs for a long time.

I think this'd be pretty sweet on a disc actually:

KodiakWintergreen.jpg

aj
But I prefer this:thmbup:
images.jpg

With that being said, I did have the opportunity to throw a Groove that belongs to a friend and I just couldn't get a feel for it and I couldn't be happier that I stayed away from it. Don't know if it's the wide rims, my inexperience, form, throwing style or what, but I probably won't be driving speed 13 discs for a long time.

don't base your concept of all 13 speeds on the groove, its usually considered to be a very inconsistent disc.

that being said, i am not encouraging you to throw high speeds if you don't want to, but every disc is different

I disagree. It's not like they're just plopping new stamps on old molds. The Vulcan, Wahoo, Katana, and Ape are all drastically different discs.

Titleist makes the Pro V1 for expert golfers. Should they never make a ball that's more forgiving to casual players? Do you think there are threads full of ball golfers complaining that Nike's new putter is going to ruin the game forever?
Why the drama? Throw it or don't.

boom nuff said:thmbup:

I just got mine today., and I have to say that it feels a lot like a boss in terms of feel in the hand. Visually though it looks an awful lot like an xcaliber.

Don't know, havent thrown it yet. I shall see tomorrow. My guess is it will be about the same as my xcalibers

Don't bother buying this disc if you already own an xcaliber because this disc isn't any better than it. It actually felt more understable than the numbers for it.

Don't bother buying this disc if you already own an xcaliber because this disc isn't any better than it. It actually felt more understable than the numbers for it.

Glad to hear. When I first heard about the Ape I was excited. Then I discovered the PD2 for overstable heavy headwind duties and realized that short of a miracle there wouldnt be another disc anytime soon that could do what the PD2 is. After hearing from you I'm now less tempted to give the Ape a shot.

Latest posts