• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arizona Courses

Word on the street is Prescott will be getting an 18 hole course at Goldwater Lake!

That would be sweet. I just found out my parents are looking for a new place in Prescott. It would be nice having a championship level course in the area. Hopefully, its not a pitch and putt, or beginner course.

I'm hoping for something along the lines of School House Gulch, Thumb Butte(my favorite) or a combination of the two. The terrain and flora surrounding Goldwater are worthy of a great course.

Did someone mention it being a pitch and putt or beginner course? I've heard no such thing, and would be surprised if it were to be designed as a P&P or beginner course, but this is about Prescott we're talking here.... so one can never be too sure. Heck they already sold off(and sold out) the jewel of Prescott: Hassayampa Lake many years ago. Now there would've been a great locale for a disc course. (among other things) sigh.

Heck they already sold off(and sold out) the jewel of Prescott: Hassayampa Lake many years ago. Now there would've been a great locale for a disc course. (among other things) sigh.

What do you mean by this? The city owned the land and sold it to private a party?

I can't believe there's already talk about a course at Goldman Lake. That is fantastic! :clap: Honestly, though, unless it's better than School House it would be a waste.

No way! That's awesome that there's going to be a course at Goldwater. Hopefully the course will be approved. I'm playing Watson tomorrow for the first time.

Quoted from Greenfield Lakes:

"Lot's of stuff getting ready to happen to make Greenfield Lakes one of the premier disc golf destinations in Arizona. First, we are working on getting some trees and shrubs strategically planted, to make the disc holes more fun and challenging. Second, we will be getting tee signs installed soon. Third, we will be adding some OB lines to better define the OB areas. Fourth, we are designing new scorecards. Fifth, we are working on scheduling several tournaments. Sixth, we are looking to schedule 1-2 leagues per week and and last; we are planning on adding some netting over by the practice basket to provide for a warm-up area.

Stay tuned and watch the Greenfield Lakes Disc Golf Course continue to improve as we prepare for your summer season."

Sweet. I havent played greenfield yet.

Anyone wanna get together for a round tomorrow(Saturday 3/30)? I was thinking sometime in the late morning timeframe would be best for me. PM me.

The south course at Red Mountain will be ready to play today. The north course still needs 6 tee pads, which should be poured tomorrow.

Good news, I see someone added the course in San Tan Valley, I've been following there fliers for 6-8 months. Nice addition. I really hope the Fiesta Lake golf course in Mesa is completed within the next six weeks so I can plan a day in May to play it, the red mountain courses and San Tan.

Anyone play the course in Page? I want to know if its playable at night?

Played both Red Mountain courses today.

The South course is the shorter of the two, but is still a good challenge to hit the landing zones near the baskets. Typical of most desert courses, there's a lot of brush around to stop shots from skipping and gaining more ground. So it plays longer than you'd think.
The North course was the stronger of the two sides as it had more memorable holes. I really liked 2 (bomb par 4), 7 (another 4), 13 (blind basket, cool teepad location), & 15 (very challenging 4). It's a Par 58 with challenging 4s and some technical Ace Runs mixed in. Despite the increase in length and difficulty, I somehow managed to score a better round here than on the South course. Go figure!

Played both Red Mountain courses today.

The South course is the shorter of the two, but is still a good challenge to hit the landing zones near the baskets. Typical of most desert courses, there's a lot of brush around to stop shots from skipping and gaining more ground. So it plays longer than you'd think.
The North course was the stronger of the two sides as it had more memorable holes. I really liked 2 (bomb par 4), 7 (another 4), 13 (blind basket, cool teepad location), & 15 (very challenging 4). It's a Par 58 with challenging 4s and some technical Ace Runs mixed in. Despite the increase in length and difficulty, I somehow managed to score a better round here than on the South course. Go figure!
Sounds awesome. I may have to make a run out there next weekend and check out one or both. Got a buddy who lives a mile away..... Base Camp!!!!

Be cautious on the north course of Red mountain for a few days or so. If you are going to play the north course, please do not use the last several tees that are still drying. Either play to the side of them, or in front of them until they dry. It is obvious which ones are not ready. I believe that it was the teepads for holes 16-18 that still need to dry, I could be wring though. Please use caution.

Both courses were really fun. The north course was a beast, or it could have been the fact that I was on my second round. Im going to play it fresh to verify my findings. There are also no tee signs up yet. There will be a tourney later this month where the procedes go towards tee signs.

Also there have been a few rattlesnake sightings along with other snake sightings.

Played Red Mountain South today. It was a very nice course, but difficult to navigate. I really wish they had put hole numbers in the tee pads when they poured them. It would have helped navigation quite a bit.
That being said I really enjoyed the course. Finished at +3, OK for the first time through and it was a little windy. I suspect with less wind and a better knowledge of the course I could do quite a bit better.
I will be back to play it and the North course.

I agree with the navigation. It will be easier to do when they put in tee signs. I think it was on hole 5 or so, I threw to the wrong basket. I ended up with +2 my first round on the south course. My putting was off and I missed 3 birdie attempts at about 20-30 feet.

The north course is a beast. I played the north course after the south course, so I am not sure if that was part of it. Next time I'm only playing one course at a time, and it will be a redo of the north course.

I look forward to going back and playing the North course. I noticed on the North Course map there are some extra holes going out to an island in the lake. Do those really exist?

BTW I was revisiting my old reviews and while looking at AV Anderson I noticed that Sierra Vista is your home town.
Buena '83!!!
We may have already discussed this, but I have oldtimers, so....

I look forward to going back and playing the North course. I noticed on the North Course map there are some extra holes going out to an island in the lake. Do those really exist?

BTW I was revisiting my old reviews and while looking at AV Anderson I noticed that Sierra Vista is your home town.
Buena '83!!!
We may have already discussed this, but I have oldtimers, so....

The holes do not exist on the island, as there is no bridge. Since there were no tee signs, we just searched for the nearest tee box.

I lived in Cochise county for about half of my childhood, so I consider that area one of my hometowns. Not sure if we discussed it either.