• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arm Soreness? Tendonitis? Tennis elbow? Not healing!

Thera Band ,I have heard this works.

For me it was stop doing what was hurting the elbow. It worked. I can say that even though not being able to play all of 2011 was bad I am now able to go out and enjoy myself on the course. For me grip was the biggest issue. Held the disc tight all the time which caused my tennis elbow. Now I have and am still learning to tighten my grip at the hit. It is getting better and my elbow feels good.

Warm up better.

Ice after that playing.

Buy a theraband flexbar on amazon. Use it before/after discing.

Don't bother with a dr. If you're not a pro athlete you won't have access to a good one anyway.

I have no idea what you need. Doctor? Maybe. I popped a flexor tendon in my arm in early March, and it is still agony to spin putt. I couldn't hold a glass of water at first. A physical therapist and a doctor told me it is going to hurt for a long time, and then it won't. Meanwhile, I'm pitch putting.

Last edited:
i had an issue that sounds exactly like the op, and did consult my dr, but, echoing the comments above, go see one for yourself in case you have done serious damage. if you aren't going to do that, at least visit webmd

in my personal exp i was lucky in that i did not have anything serious, but did have a decent case of classic tennis elbow. the following helped me 100%, and is in line with the webmd advice:

1 - no disc for a month to 6 weeks, even if you feel better, let it heal. this is the most important thing you can do, allowing the swelling/irritation to reduce.
2 - wear a tennis elbow type brace during that month of no disc activity.
3 - do some ice treatments (i only did this like the first week, cause it was a pain in the a$$)
4 - take ibuprofen 400 mg , 3x a day.
5 - once you start feeling up to playing, stick with ibuprofen before your round, and after. also make sure you stretch the elbow before your round (i do this by always putting first now, and then slinging about 15 couple 100-150 type shots with putters and understable mids).

There is always the big question with an injury, rest it or play through it?

For every player and every injury it is an individual choice. The better you know your body and the better professional advice you get the better informed choice you can make.

Most of us fall generally in one group or the other: Aggressive rehab or Conservative rehab.

Throughout my sports life (and I am old at this point) I have been Aggressive. I play thru injury and illness. As much and as long and as intense as I can tolerate. This does make me braver or smarter. It does make me better than I otherwise would be. I tear muscles and take a couple days off. I also see the best sports doctors and chiropractors and masseuses I can find and listen to their advice (with a grain of salt).

I believe in ice and stretching and physical therapy and good drugs. I believe rest is for the grave. Take a year off? You gotta be kidding. In 20 years I have never taken a week off.

Back to basket. Less stable plastic.

I'm 43 and I had that problem earlier this year. I'd be curious to see a video of your throw.

I have concentrated on using my body; especially getting my back to the basket on drives. I'm using less stable plastic overall and concentrating more on hyzer flip lines and turnover lines and less on power flex type lines.

I also took the opportunity to learn a better FH.

My elbow does not hurt at all any more. But that is me.

I knew a guy who had the same thing, go to a doctor. One day he was out playing and we heard a pop. He had been hit by a car.

Take a year off? You gotta be kidding. In 20 years I have never taken a week off.

yep and I would do it again. When none of what you mention works you sometimes have to make a decision that you may not like but is for the best. The pain I had in my elbow was effecting everything in my life including work. I played through the pain on 2010 and it never went away. As a matter of fact it got worse and so bad that I really could not even grip a disc without it hurting bad. Was it fun no but was it what needed to happen yes. Now I am into my second year of playing disc golf since then and I do not regret my decision. I am pain free and hopefully will continue to be so. It was a big sacrifice that paid off for me and now I can continue to get out an play disc golf with my family. In the last year or so we have traveled around our region and played all kinds of courses. I do believe with out that season off I may not even be playing anymore.

Thanks everyone for the input! I'm 47 so age sure isn't helping. I also wonder if my form/technique is contributing. I do have some video. Seems my game has been declining this past year the more I try to incorporate 'Pro tips'. I feel like I've lost 25-60 feet from my drives on average, sometimes more. The pain was worse when it first started and playing through it is not miserable, but it sure has affected my putting game more than anything. Grip and release are all jacked up. The pain is not intense, just annoying.

I agree a doc is just gonna push a scrip and tell me to rest. I'll do that on my own and use OTC Ibuprofen.

Is there a good resource on proper stretching for disc golfers? Strength building exercises like gripping a 'stress ball'?

I only have one cat so I'm not sure about the cat spinning method..

Beer is good...I'll keep trying that, but going lefty. lol

I HATE having to stop playing but the good news is I actually run a disc golf club (DFW Disc Golfers) and could still stay involved in the game by just organizing and promoting the club, taking some time off playing and working on building the clubs membership, perks and revenue.

I could certainly spend some more time around here in my time off. lol.:thmbup::popcorn:

Latest posts