• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

As if disc theives, litterbugs, vandals & snakes weren't enough to worry about...

Great, that's just what we need on courses...

At least the 'gang members' don't seem to be identified as disc golfers, that would not help the image of the sport at all.

Don't know about you, but if I came across 10 gang members fighting on the course, I'd probably play around them instead of asking them to move. Sucks, but the dg'ers are lucky they weren't hurt worse.

I have a bag full of projectiles that I have spent the last few years on perfecting throwing hard lazers with at a goal that is essentially a man sized target. Bring the gang on, I'm not sc-urd

I would feel more comfortable in that situation if I were armed with a large bag full of projectiles with sharp edges that I could throw hard and accurately...

I've thought about what I would do if I had my bag with me and some punk started something. I think I would probably thumb my Firebird right at him.

I'm cracking up now picturing myself firing disc after disc out of my bag into an onrushing gang of people. haha what a site!

id throw a handfull of dx at them and then run with the good stuff why their distracted by the hail of cheaply manufactured sports equipment.

I'm cracking up now picturing myself firing disc after disc out of my bag into an onrushing gang of people. haha what a site!
That would also be a great scene in a zombie movie.

Shawn of the Dead had a similar scene with a single zombie and LP records.

man that would be a big mistake for the gangsters up here in nor cal. my buddy and i have our concealed permits and keep one with us depending on the course. we have a ton of gang activity in some areas on nor cal. not to say that i would be hasty and use it but the visual deterrent is really what it is for. we have had a ton of mountain lions roaming around the courses here lately and that is what prompted us to bring the protection along.

This thread reminds me of a story (not an urban legend) - My wife is/was friends with some of the parties involved. This is the reader's digest version and some of the exact details may not be correct but the end result can not be disputed.

In Austin Tx. some time ago a guy was sitting down in a restaurant having a cup of coffee, possibly some breakfast. Out in the parking lot was his truck that had a 20' extension ladder in the back. He was keeping half an eye on it while he ate. I am sure we've all been in a similar situation at one time or another in our lives.

Well, before he knows it, he looks up and there's another truck near his, some guy is just about done loading the ladder into his truck. Before the owner can get up and stop the guy, he's speeding off with the ladder in the back of his truck. The rightful owner of the ladder gets in his truck and follows the thief. Somewhere down the road the owner catches up with the thief and an altercation ensues. Long story short, the thief ends up killing the guy who was just trying to get his ladder back. The thief is now in some TX. lockup and the owner of the ladder now has a wife and two daughters without a dad.

This is a sobering story but one that my wife reminds me of constantly when I get pissed off by some menial act of stupidity or some act of discourtesy. Is it really worth it?

The story of the gang members and the disc golfers, and previous threads about confronting litterbugs/disc thieves, etc. sparked the memory. Moral of the story is you don't take a bag full of plastic to a knife or gun fight. One or two dodges of your sharpest/fastest plastic thrown in duress and you're staring at the barrel of a gun held by someone carefree enough to use it.