• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

As if disc theives, litterbugs, vandals & snakes weren't enough to worry about...

man that would be a big mistake for the gangsters up here in nor cal. my buddy and i have our concealed permits and keep one with us depending on the course. we have a ton of gang activity in some areas on nor cal. not to say that i would be hasty and use it but the visual deterrent is really what it is for. we have had a ton of mountain lions roaming around the courses here lately and that is what prompted us to bring the protection along.

I thought carrying a concealed weapon in Cali is illegal. Just having a handgun on your person, concealed or otherwise, is illegal in California. Better be careful.

california has a concealed carry law making it legal to carry with a permit. but other states carry permits do not transfer over to california you must have a california carry permit to carry. if you go online you can see that must state permits work in other states with concealed carry permits.

the bs thing about texas permits is even if you take the classes and dont have a criminal record you still have to jump through hoops to get one and good luck getting one if your under thirty and dont have 3-4 years at the same job or have miltary or police exp.

Had a drunk gang banger throwing horse shoes into a basket once. I told him it was a frisbee target and asked him to stop. He took offense and came after me with the horseshoes. Another golfer on scene saw a large pipe on the ground, he picked it up, pushed me aside. After a stalemate with the weapons they dropped them and went at it. The gangster didn't do so well. He was happy to have gotten into a fight though. As he left the two guys hugged. The gangster thanked him for having the balls to fight and told him that it was a good one. Then he left. Our basket was all bent out of shape though - still is.
DSCJNKY

Stuff like that is why I always something that can be used to defend myself with. A bic lighter makes a fantastic "fist-aide". Grip that sucker with a little bit of the bottom showing and strike with that. In Ohio the concealed weapon law (pertaining to non-firearms) is very vague. Basically you can carry a tool that may double as a self-defense weapon but you can't carry something with the explicit purpose of it being a weapon. At least thats the interpretation I've gotten.

i have 4 years in the marine corps and my dad is on the FBI swat team. i have been around guns my whole life and every time i bring a new person out shooting i STRESS the fact that it is not a toy. i don't want folks to think that i bring it out for power and to show it off because that is the exact opposite of what it is for. i bring my gun for protection. i very rarely bring it out to the local courses because there is no need to watch out for wild animals. however if a gang member charged me after i asked them to please get out of the way, i wold simply ask him if he were armed. if he said no i would say well i am and i will use it on you if you keep threatening my life and the life of others around me.

ahhh but would it come out so eloquently? ;)

some jerk cut me off the other day and when i pulled next to him at teh stoplight he said severl things to me because i was looking at him. he got out of his car and told me to do the same. i said hey dumb ass, are you armed? he said huh? i said i have a gun and you need to get back in your car now or i will call the cops. he said get out followed by some other obscenities. i said get in your car or i will defend myself with my gun. the light turned green and i said go home you don't want to get shot and i want to see my daughter later so have a nice day dick. i drove off and he followed. i got out of my car and held my gun in its holster and that's when he darted off in his car. i tried to tell him and all i had to do was carry it with me into my house and he saw i wasn't BSing him.

good on you, some people just don't want to let things go. I was just joking around that in the heat of conflict we often pepper our language with insults and it can be hard to speak from the mind and not the testosterone. Part time I work security for a club and its really improved my conflict resolution skills ... but still in the heat of it I've let a few insults fly when I've been pushed too far.

good on you, some people just don't want to let things go. I was just joking around that in the heat of conflict we often pepper our language with insults and it can be hard to speak from the mind and not the testosterone. Part time I work security for a club and its really improved my conflict resolution skills ... but still in the heat of it I've let a few insults fly when I've been pushed too far.

i work the door at a popular downtown night club as my second job. sometimes people say things and really try to get under your skin but just let it go and remember its better to go home after you shift. i am not immune to speaking from the groin region though, i did call him a dick. but your so right sometimes folks just wont let it go. who cares if i looked at you after you cut me off. cant i look where i want and you the same?

i work the door at a popular downtown night club as my second job. sometimes people say things and really try to get under your skin but just let it go and remember its better to go home after you shift. i am not immune to speaking from the groin region though, i did call him a dick. but your so right sometimes folks just wont let it go. who cares if i looked at you after you cut me off. cant i look where i want and you the same?

Thats a very important thing to remember, about its better to go home after work than to jail.
yeah it can be hard to not say things like calling someone a dick. I had a customer tell me I couldn't make him leave. When I said "this is private property and you have no legal right to remain here after we ask you go leave" he drunkenly responded back "you can use all the fancy dictionary words you want" My testosterone flared up and I quipped back "do you have a third grade reading level? Which word was too big, private or property?" his friends drug him away but it certainly wasn't the best way for me to deal with it as it was pretty much egging him into more conflict.

Thats a very important thing to remember, about its better to go home after work than to jail.
yeah it can be hard to not say things like calling someone a dick. I had a customer tell me I couldn't make him leave. When I said "this is private property and you have no legal right to remain here after we ask you go leave" he drunkenly responded back "you can use all the fancy dictionary words you want" My testosterone flared up and I quipped back "do you have a third grade reading level? Which word was too big, private or property?" his friends drug him away but it certainly wasn't the best way for me to deal with it as it was pretty much egging him into more conflict.

most definitely want to go home after the shift. soot if i don't how will i play disc golf the next morning?

I don't confront people because I am too old for that s**t. Here is what happened to my brother and I:

We were playing at a course near downtown Houston that is located in a prodomently black neighborhood. Before I ever played this course, I asked the local club about this course, because it is right off of MLK Rd. Everyone said it was a safe course to play.

I had played this course many times and had never had a problem. It was Sunday morning about 11:30 and it was a nice sunny day. The way the course runs, is #16 gets really close to one of the parking lots. Some young punks (not white) were standing near their car was we were nearing the #16 basket. They were playing their rap music, when they saw us get near, they starting rapping something like "dumb ass white boys with their Frisbees" and stuff like that.

We looked at each other and just kept playing, but it was a little distracting. We went over to the #17 tee, and took our shots , but we were a little pissed. I must say these guys had some balls, because my brother is 6'2 and I am 6'3 and we both weigh about 280lbs, so we are not small guys. These were some skinny punks probably no older than 18.

At the end of the round my brother and I both decided we would never play this course again, and I have not been back since. I might go back one day and play early in the morning, but that would be it. I was really pissed about being harassed. I play disc golf to relax, and when it stops being fun, I am going to take up tennis again.

I had thought about saying something to the guys, but I did not feel like fighting that day, and knowing that neighborhood, there was a good chance they might have had a gun or weapon in that car. Here in the Houston area, I have heard many stories in the news, were people got into screaming matches and someone pulls out a gun. I would rather be the bigger man, and just walk away. Plus I think it pissed them off that we just ignored them. It made them look stupid.

Last edited:
I remember one night I was out in a local park practicing my D (never did get that quite right, but that's another story). Anyway, it's about 11:30 and nobody else is there except for these three hoods who come walking down the path toward me.

"Hey man, what you doing here?"

"I'm practicing disc golf. Here - you wanna try it?" And I handed the punk a disc.

He hauled off and threw it downrange, so I gave one to each of his buddies and they both did the same. Then I drove one about 275', at which point they got all impressed and left me alone to practice in peace.

Dunno - maybe they got a clue?

If you think about it, if someone got hit in the temple or neck/throat area with one of those discs, they could he seriously injured. Disc golfers are probably the wrong people to mess with.

I wish i was that accurate...I would aim at the punk and knock the wig off the granny on the walking path 75 feet away.

Would probably wing the acorn out of a squirrels hand on the way too...just as a big f' you to my accuracy.

I have a bag full of projectiles that I have spent the last few years on perfecting throwing hard lazers with at a goal that is essentially a man sized target. Bring the gang on, I'm not sc-urd

If you think getting an ace is hard try doing it when the target is running towards you to kick your ass. :)

Sorry guys,this is all pretty silly to me. Luckily I have not had a problem at any of the courses I have played. If I go to a course and I don't have a good feeling about where its at...I leave...I try not to take chances.
I don't play late at night by myself which sounds like its inviting trouble.
The only trouble I have had is other disc golfers who thought that since its just disc golf there is no etiquette(not allowing you to play through when its just you and four of them,etc).
I don't allow myself to get pushed around(I'm a pretty big guy so it doesn't happen often anyway)but I try to avoid trouble before it starts.
However if some of you would like for your tombstone to read "He gave his life for disc golf" feel free! As for me...I'll pass.:p

Latest posts