• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar3

I only have room for 2 non-putting putters in my bag and I do like the deeper feel of the P1x. Maybe the Av3 and Nova (maybe) could fill my driving/approach putter needs. The Nova should be similar to the PandA, right?

The Nova basically IS an Aviar P&A with an overmold.

I'm curious why you only have room for two non-putting putters.... :popcorn:

The Nova basically IS an Aviar P&A with an overmold.

I'm curious why you only have room for two non-putting putters.... :popcorn:
Bag size... I carry a Fade Gear Crunch Box with Dynamic Discs straps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bag size... I carry a Fade Gear Crunch Box with Dynamic Discs straps.

Cool beans. I carry a Fade Gear Crunch Box, but with Innova straps. I took out the partition and put the discs in sideways. so I have 15 + 2 putters in the putter pouch. So I can (and sometimes do) carry 4-5 non-putting putters. I am carrying only two mids right now, though.

Last edited:
I felt an Aviar3 over the weekend. It wasn't as shallow as I was thinking it might be per some of the comments on here. It felt a lot like a regular P&A to me (although I don't handle P&A's too often, I'm sure someone more familiar with that mold would notice differences better than I would).

Anyway, it's not the FH & BH driving putter that I was hoping for. (JMHO, YMMV.)

...I'm sure someone more familiar with that mold would notice differences better than I would)... (JMHO, YMMV.)
I throw regular PandAs a lot and the Av3 definitely feels a little shallower. Its not drastically shallower but its noticeable.

I suppose its no surprise that a non-PandA thrower didn't notice it as much.

I agree that the Av3 is not the best putter/driver of all time but it is very good. The driving putter I'm waiting for is a true 0 HSS Stud. THAT, IMO, will be the perfect driving putter. My Studs have a decent amount of turn when thrown 320'.

what's the result flightwise when a disc is more shallow?

isn't the P2 similar in depth to the PandA? yet more people like to drive with the P2.

I felt an Aviar3 over the weekend. It wasn't as shallow as I was thinking it might be per some of the comments on here. It felt a lot like a regular P&A to me (although I don't handle P&A's too often, I'm sure someone more familiar with that mold would notice differences better than I would).

Anyway, it's not the FH & BH driving putter that I was hoping for. (JMHO, YMMV.)

isn't the P2 similar in depth to the PandA? yet more people like to drive with the P2.

The depth of the rims of the Aviar P&A and the Aviar3 may measure the same. For me, the Aviar3 feels more shallow, and I believe it's because of the flat top more than anything else. I do know that I get a better feeling grip on the Av3, and therefore can get a good throw with it. It may just be confidence, but the Av3 is working for me to the point that my Rhyno and my Hornet were both taken out of the bag; the Av3 handles their duties very well.

The P2 is similar to other Aviars. My S-Line P2 feels slightly different than the X-Line P2, and a visual inspection showed the bottom rim of the X-Line was angled inward a bit more steeply. I'll try to get some pics of that. Anyhoo, the P2 is a bit more (over)stable than my Star P&As, and that might be why the P2 is the choice as a driving/throwing putter.

JMHO, YMMV, of course.

A shallow putter tends to be a bit faster and can cut through the wind better than a blunt putter. It also may skip more once it hits the ground. Not all shallow putters are overstable, though, as the Colt and Magic are stable to understable, and the Mirage is definitely understable.

Last edited:

p2 is deeper than the pna,i believe it has a nose spacer. most people like the p2 but if you have small hands it can be hard to get clean releases. i used p2s for the longest time as a driver but every now and then i would get a yank. i went to tanks because i enjoyed the shallow rim and stability. now that the av3 is out,i would compare it more to a tank in stability and depth,they flew almost exactly the same. av3 is definitely a little more shallow than the p2. some p2's dont feel that deep because they are somewhat concave/puddle topped.

I have been using a p2 for backhand and forehand but for flicks, the Av3 takes it. The perceived depth of the p2 is about equal to a pna for me, where as the Av3 feels closer to a mid in height especially for flicks. SD, I have also pulled my rhyno as well as my p2 so I can give the Av3 a full run for its money. I missed the rhyno at first but only because I know it so well. With a few weeks of practice, I may leave it out altogether.

DX Aviar3

qIs3cdZKvBA3q1H1ziIrPpQAsWwhLVZMcG_WJiWTCcb4nop7dw5WJJ3TTeP02l6snBBQ4MswI7q0-28=w440-h220

Innova says: Shipping now. All DX Aviar3 discs will be stamped with this Special Edition Aviar3 logo.

FLIGHT NUMBERS: Speed 3 | Glide 2 | Turn 0 | Fade 2
WEIGHTS: 150-175 Grams
MSRP: $9.99

Personally, I will stick with Star. I can't see myself beating in an Aviar3 for any reason. I'll keep the lasting performance of premium plastic.

Maybe I'm missing something here, though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Personally, I will stick with Star. I can't see myself beating in an Aviar3 for any reason. I'll keep the lasting performance of premium plastic.

Maybe I'm missing something here, though.

Agreed. I just got my second Star Av3, near-glow-in-the-dark chartreuse yellow. Will throw it tomorrow when the rains subside. I'll probably not pick up a DX Av3 at this time, though if I see one in the store some time down the road, I might pick one up.

qIs3cdZKvBA3q1H1ziIrPpQAsWwhLVZMcG_WJiWTCcb4nop7dw5WJJ3TTeP02l6snBBQ4MswI7q0-28=w440-h220

Innova says: Shipping now. All DX Aviar3 discs will be stamped with this Special Edition Aviar3 logo.

FLIGHT NUMBERS: Speed 3 | Glide 2 | Turn 0 | Fade 2
WEIGHTS: 150-175 Grams
MSRP: $9.99

Innova (East) did clarify this a.m. that the stamp seen here on these DX Aviar3's was going to be a limited "Special Edition" stamp but that has changed. This is the stamp that will used going forward on DX Aviars (the stamp does not say "Special Edition" on it or anything else like that - just Aviar3 DX and flight numbers).

mQMHkxljpWpz1ZFtvLbfC_bH0NL-YJLW9sRElFZ8HaQcDIwsIHtxp6exK_bvWcKMdDhfsWhqhezvaQU=w483-h160

I haven't had time lately to visit my local shop to feel one of these.

Can someone compare this with a pig and stud? I know these are completely different mold type or speed but I am debating between the three for two shots. 1) beat one in or out of box forehand straight that dumps forward 2) out of box forehand straight, no turn, fade, dumps/no glide.

my go to mid is a cro - love the rim width (slim)

Last edited:
FYI DX has been MSRP of 9.99 for a while. Those who say that a DX one doesn't make sense obviously aren't using their Star as a putting putter. Whoever gets a DX one first will have to report on how it putts compared to a P2/BB Aviar.