• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand or forehand??

Most of us is going to have a propensity for one style over another. However, there are few out there that have a natural ability to learn either way without struggling. I personally think that it is equally difficult to learn the "proper mechanics" of either style. The difficulty of learning one style over the other lies within going against something that comes naturally to you. Both styles have their own nuances that will be difficult to master, whether your natural ability is either BH or FH.

I am a FH dominate player because my natural abilities dictated that learning FH was easier than BH. Like most players of other sports that are right-handed, having the left shoulder pointed (relatively) towards the target was a much easier starting point for me. I played baseball while growing up and being right-handed, when I was at bat, my left shoulder was pointed to the field-of-play as well as my position at short-stop helped develop more of a sidearm throw. Playing tennis, it was also a lot easier to hit a ball accurately FH. In my 20s, I picked up golf. Again, my left shoulder was always pointed down-range. When I picked up DG, my sports history dictated that having my left shoulder pointed down-range was a more natural starting position. Therefore, my FH development came naturally.

Like others have said previously, when I decided to learn BH, I focused on learning that style which led my FH ability to degrade. When I noticed that, I stopped focusing primarily on my BH and started to split my focus to both styles. It took me about three months to get my FH back to where it was before I started throwing BH. I've been working on my BH for over a year now and it is still not nearly as accurate nor does it have the distance as my FH.

The reasons I decided to start working on my BH was distance potential as well as having more options available for any particular situation. 90% of my approaches are FH because, at this time, I'm much more accurate throwing this way. Off the tee, I'll throw the highest percentage shot that the hole requires whether it be FH or BH. I have no preference either way on the tee.

For new players that don't have any experience in throwing discs, I feel that it is much easier to "muscle" a high-speed driver 200' with a FH motion than trying to "muscle" that same disc the same distance with a BH. It is very easy to throw a very short newb-hyzer with a BH motion. A FH will most likely have enough nose-down orientation to flex back out from the typical anny release.

Learning the "proper mechanics" for either FH or BH will both take a considerable amount of time and dedication. But, one style is most likely going to be easier than the other depending on one's natural abilities.