• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Back

magilla311

I've got a friend with a bad back, & their using an old innova bag. They're in constant pain & was thinking of selling my old purple voodoo mojo to help put fund buying them a backpack style bag. Any recommendations as to what bag to buy them? I may even consider making a custom cart to go with it.

No fool proof back aid in disc golf. I use a Go-Cart and love it, but you still have to drag that bad boy all over the course. A challenge and sometimes not feasilbe on hilly or sandy courses. You also have to bend over to get your discs. So, I would recommend a custom cart with a raised bag and a seat. Sometimes, just sitting a spell is all the back needs. Make sure to make the cart as "all terrain" as possible. Good luck to you and your friend.

My back has been an issue for years. I finally capitulated and bought one of these:

DELTA-CART-GBG9-limited-run.jpg

It didn't resolve the issue, but it certainly makes it more manageable. Good luck to your buddy. Back issues are the devil.

Buy him a jogging stroller on Craigslist for $20. I use one and love it, no bending over to pull a disc out of my bag and plenty of room to carry extra stuff. Bigger wheels are better.

I need an everythingiotomy.:\

Last summer I had an RV I was setting up fall on me. Since then, my back won't last 6-8 holes before big pain hits when carrying my big bag. Switched to small bag, same deal. Enter cart, Bagboy Quad at first, now a Schwinn jogging stroller. Now I can last maybe 36 holes before my back starts getting tight, not pain, just tight. :clap: The cart was the best thing I ever did for my aching back.:D

I have pretty severe arthritis in my lower back (yay for being 31!!!) and Im switching to a backpack type bag. I dont mind bending over to pick a disc out of the bag because when you do it right its a pretty good stretch. Carried a friends bag for a few holes and it really did make a difference having the weight on your shoulders instead of pushing against the lower back.

I make carts that help me out a TON. They are generally for backpack bags (but I can make them for traditional bags as well). Nice thing is if you have a course that has a section where you can't really drag the cart you can just take the backpack off the cart ... carry the bag till you get back to the cart. We do it here in Cincy at Williamsburg as there is a STEEP hill with 5 holes up top then you come back to where you went up.

WORKS GREAT.

I sell these but they are pretty easy to make yourself if you want to find the cart ... cut the wood and mount everything ... should only take you an afternoon.

Here's a link ... holler if you want dimensions or anything

http://proshop.poweredbyplastic.com/index.php?page=item&id=88

I have horrible back issues that flare up from time to time.

I'm currently saving to buy a Rolling Ridge Cart.

Pretty spendy, but I think it will be well worth it.

I also have terrible back problems/pain. I started with backpack straps and an innova carrier, then went to a Grip bag. The Grip made it a lot easier on my back, but I'm 6'4" and reaching down to pick the Grip off the ground was still causing pain. I traded my Grip bag for an Ergo2, hoping that would help the problem. It didn't change anything, so I sold the Ergo2. I bought an old golf cart and modded it to hold my innova bag. Huge difference not having to lift a heavy bag off the ground all day. Some people might give you crap for using a cart, but your back will be much happier.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/1400946163510526/
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108165&highlight=ridge+roller&page=2

Like DanJon, I really wanted to try out the Ridge Roller, but could not justify spending that much. I found the Zuca luggage cart (Ridge Roller) on Ebay for $88 dollars and have started modding it up. REALLY looking forward to it!

My back is also an issue from time to time, so I bought a Go-Cart a few years ago.
What I found out was that after using my Go-Cart for a few months, my back issue got worse.
Why? I believe it was because my back never got any excercise when using the cart. I switched to a Grip and still have back issues, but not as often.
Obviously, this is not the story for everyone, but it was a great help to me.
I still have the Go-cart and a stroller, and I still use them from time to time.

3 wheel stroller carts, make sure the brake works and use it. I used to use one, till it rolled into a creek and dumped my bag......

Bad back and torsional movement is just not a good thing. I have a herniated L5 and several degenerative discs. I first hurt my back around 27 yoa . Now at 42 yoa and bad back can put me down for days and take weeks to recover. If your back is hurtin too bad to carry your bag, you probably shouldn't play. On the flip side, disc golf often relieves my back pain and bending over to pick up my disc stretches out the hammies that tend to get tight with back issues. My body seems to be happiest at 3 rounds ,or less, of dg a week. Lighten your bag to as few discs as you can live with . Your back and score card will thank you! I plan to incorporate some cross training and loosing a few pounds this winter. Yes, I like dg enough to try and improve my over all health to be able to continue to enjoy the game. :thmbdown:to bad backs, :thmbup: to disc golf.

Latest posts