• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Etiquette?

I still can't figure out why the original poster assumed another player wanted to be told, unsolicited, what his score was. If a player wanted to know what his score was, why couldn't he just look at the card? The discussion on this thread about keeping one's score in a tournament isn't really relevant to the Original posts.

I think we have established that the original post has been an example of bad etiquette and that it was gamesmanship in a tight, competitive tournament scenario.

Personally, I'm not into practicing gamesmanship, but I accept that part of the game and you have to be prepared to deal with it sometimes. I actually enjoy seeing it and being a target of it. I view it as another challenge on the course.

Practicing gamesmanship is not against the rules, but when you engage in it, don't whinge when you get a nasty reaction and push back, though.

I still can't figure out why the original poster assumed another player wanted to be told, unsolicited, what his score was. If a player wanted to know what his score was, why couldn't he just look at the card?

Perhaps he assumed that, as in other sports, his opponent would want to know, and it would be a courtesy to tell him.

Perhaps he didn't imagine that a player would not want to know where he stood, with only 8 holes left, because in other sports, players certainly would want to know.

My $.02:

- Regardless of the situation - he has no right to blame the OP for knowing the score ruining his game. That is just a lame excuse for why he choked.
- I would never tell someone their score w/o them asking, as I am under the impression that they are big boys who can ask if they want to know.
- In this case (as portrayed by the OP) it sounds as if it was done w/o gamesmanship in mind as he didn't realize how others would perceive this information. For this reason I would take no offense to him providing that info once....9 holes out before they tossed. There certainly could be exceptions that would be over the line - like shouting out the score after every hole (annoying) or "hey this putt is for the win" as someone steps up to a 20' on hole 18 (obvious gamesmanship).
- Personally, I always keep my score even on casual rounds so I could care less who announces it. I even keep others' scores I play with as a habit, but never announce unless asked....unless...
- If playing with a group of friends - all bets are off and crap talking and announcing how horrible someone did on a hole/round are definitely fair game. This, to me, is VERY different than playing a tourney with randoms.
- With all that said - given that SOME players are offended by this - I would er on the side of caution and tell the OP to not do this going forward (assuming you are with randoms / etc) and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

One thing I noticed even a pro doing was in Mcflysohigh's video. Forget his name but the bigger bald white guy. I noticed a few times after a good shot close to the pin he would say nice birdie. Obviously done in attempt to put extra pressure on the player to make the putt (from 15-20 feet, not under the basket). Very poor etiquette. No wonder Barry wears his headphones.

Are there individual sports in which players don't know, or don't want to know, their standing until after the competition is over?

In particular, sports with risk/reward decisions to be made coming down the stretch?

It all depends on the player. My mindset doesn't change going into a final round down 5 or up 5. If I have the card I write the scores down and pay no mind to where I am. If I don't have the card I don't ask to look at it or ask where we are at. Not that I don't care or don't want to know. I just have a different mindset I guess. I play the course and at the end of the day we will see who was better on that day.

I think you found the secret mentality problem with most DG'ers. They are hardly competitors to begin with lol.

" I just play my game and worry about my shots" blah blah blah. yeah right'

Yeah. Haven't you said before that "you don't really have time to play in tournaments?" Maybe you shouldn't be weighing in so heavily.

Talking about scores during the round unless asked is like counting chips while still sitting at the table. Kenny Rodgers knows.

Sometimes, nerves get to people, causing them to chatter to the point of verbal diaherrea. I'm not saying that's what happened to the OP, but I know it happens to me. Fortunatley, I've learned to blabber about things unrelated to the score or the hole at hand. It helps me keep a positive attitude...just saying dumb little things like "hey at least we have great weather" after a bad hole or even a casual shrug and saying "well, I can't have that one back" after a badly missed putt. But I've seen the other side where people just keep talking about their scores and dwelling on past mistakes.

Every person is a little different and nerves, gamesmanship, mental toughness and all that aside, I think we can all agree that sometimes silence just is the best policy. Whether it's meant to mess with another player or not, we are all in this crazy hobby to have fun, even in tournaments, and there's no reason to ever take away from that, regardless of intention.

One thing I noticed even a pro doing was in Mcflysohigh's video. Forget his name but the bigger bald white guy. I noticed a few times after a good shot close to the pin he would say nice birdie. Obviously done in attempt to put extra pressure on the player to make the putt (from 15-20 feet, not under the basket). Very poor etiquette. No wonder Barry wears his headphones.

Terry Gallops. Another thumber cheater. :hfive:

Unless the OP taunted him and said "Ohhh man we are tied, the pressure is on," the other guy just needs to pay more attention or stop playing in competitions.

If you ask me, we all have those friends we play with that insist on talking sh*t and making every one uncomfortable.

What's the point of competing when you don't know if you are going to win or not?

Lighten up people. If you don't like competition, don't compete.

There are a lot of golfers (both types) for whom part of focusing on one shot at a time and playing their game plan is not thinking about where they are on the score card.

As Sauls said, at some point, sure most players may want to know where they are, especially if it's coming down to the wire in a final round, it will effect decision making. But it's not up to other players to make that decision for them.

To all you internet all-Americans, golf is generally considered a game where you win or lose completely on the merits of your own skill, not with gamesmanship. If you need that to win, or enjoy that aspect of sports/games, then YOU are probably in the wrong sport. Just sayin'. It's not golf.

I give the OP the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't trying to f with the other guy, and at the end of the day you can't 'blame' a collapse on something like this, obviously. But yes, it's poor form.

I've had a player describe me as "the best player in the group" at the start of a doubles round. Even though that might be true in a pressure-less round (which is where I often play with this person), I am usually average during competitive, money-involved rounds because of weaker mental strength as a relatively new player to the sport.
So please, don't do this to players that aren't as strong as you are mentally. Don't be the guy who says things to psych out the other players. Even if that isn't your intention, to players who have been psyched out before, that's what it looks like you're trying to do. It leaves us with a bad opinion of you.

^^don't get me wrong. I'd also say that blaming something like this for not winning is kind of bad etiquette too. Taking your lumps philosophically is part of the deal as well.

I would say something like this almost casually, like "Huh -- you've managed to catch me on the front side - good job!" or something like that, without thinking about how it could get in someone's head.

That said, I blew a piddly card lead at the Birdie Bash I played in because I got so wrapped up in how far up/down I was, and it started on the fourth hole when one of my cardmates said "Huh -- we're all even again!" I can understand the fact that the guy blew the round, but the fact that he did isn't your fault -- it's his, just like me losing the card by three strokes after leading by three at one point was my fault.

Just call out earmuffs before you start blabbing about the scores. Easy solution.

If you tell me my score before asking I will call you for a courtesy violation. Do it again and it's going to cost you a stroke.

I have played plenty of team sports, but also individual sports, namely track and field, power lifting and wrestling. In those sports (as in disc golf) it is essential to know where you stand. Not doing so would be utter folly.

Toughen up, Nancys. This seems to be a male ego problem. I have never once heard any of these types of complaints from the ladies divisions, but I hear it all the time from men.

^^^^^exactly^^^^^

You guys comparing Football and basketball to golf crack me up. The reason I enjoy competing at the professional level of disc golf is it is most often a gentleman's game at that level.

Anon, Headphones were in full effect

Myoung red2020 I honestly can't even reply to your ridiculous statements and comparisons. basketball and golf...if there was ever apples and oranges this is it. I guess every professional ball golfer is mentally weak week in and week out. How many times on televised rounds of golf do you hear caddies, officials and players ask the crowd to please be quite, stand still, quite moving while they swing. SMH

I fully understand etiquette and practice it when I play, but I would NEVER use lack of etiquette as an excuse as to why I blew a lead. If you can't do that you are a weak "gentleman".

Don't tell someone the score unless they ask. Plain and simple. My first tournament in Open I made the final 9. Two holes left the TD asks if we want to know the score, I said no even though I already knew where we stood. The punk kid I was tied with decides to walk up to me after we tee off and say "Hey man, we're tied for the lead" laughing as he walks off. I wanted to punch him in the face. He disrespected my request to not know the score (even though I knew), and that hacked me off. Ultimately, it didn't affect the outcome because stayed tied and had to throw off.

In saying that, telling someone their score without their request is plain disrespectful IMO.

Just call out earmuffs before you start blabbing about the scores. Easy solution.

If you tell me my score before asking I will call you for a courtesy violation. Do it again and it's going to cost you a stroke.

The correct action, not bitching after you lose.

Latest posts