• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

The problem was and still is, that unpaid volunteers are running the biggest PDGA Pro events.
I'm not really disagreeing, but I'd soft-pedal this a little. It's sounds a lot harsher than I think the reality is.
Now the Pro players are getting paid and the video crews are getting paid and the PDGA is getting paid and the manufacturers are profiting, but the TD's and the course volunteers aren't getting paid and most are probably losing money. It is a fact that the DGPT is currently a big money pit.
I guess this is why I'm a little fuzzy about going on. DGTP puts on events and everybody gets paid, except DGPT and the tournament hosts. You would think that the players, the PDGA, the major manufacturers and the video crews would have a major incentive to work together with the DGPT to fix that before the underpinning of the gravy train collapses. The current system seems unsustainable and the perception of disc golf takes a big step back if it fails.

Unless it's all smoke and mirrors and the train doesn't really deliver the gravy we think it does.

If the sport wants top events, the TDs and the course set up crews will need to start receiving compensation. Without volunteer TD's there wouldn't be any events for the touring pros to attend or for the video crews to cover. There wouldn't be tons of player fees pouring into the PDGA. It is currently up to the "volunteer" TDs and staffers to raise enough money, donate hundreds of volunteer hours to get the course in shape, pay for the venue, pay the other expenses AND add thousands (10K for an NT) in cash to the purse. Then all the volunteers go home after the event with nothing and most likely lost money.

It is time to pay the TD's!

Sorry for the thread drift. ......
That's a huge disc golf culture issue. It's a players game. You earn your reputation on the course. You win your compensation on the course. Everything is centered around that competition, that's valued above all.

If I'm a TD and there is money for a prize pool, what I'm doing in the classic disc golf sense has not ever elevated to anything that has "earned" any of that money. If I keep any of it as compensation for my work, in the classic disc golf way of thinking I'm "stealing" from the players who did earn it on the course where it matters.

That way of thinking has to be stomped out to really move the culture. To me the people who could make that statement would be the players themselves. If the touring players organized and pushed for some % of the purse to be dedicated back to the event TD's, that cuts Johnny Old-School's argument against paying TD's off at the knees.

I played Sea Tac in a light rain with thick low clouds and could only hear the jets at first. Then the clouds lifted a little and holy F#$#* those jets were practicallly touching the treetops! I can see why they removed the homes and created this park.

The BlackHawk and RedHawk courses in Tulsa also have a lot of LOUD low flyers!
Carrollton in St. Louis is built on a "removed for airport expansion" neighborhood converted to a park, but it's off to the side of the runway so you get the noise but no real epic overhead views. Which, I had never thought of and was never disappointed in until just now. Thanks. :|

Are you talking about the 2018 Texas Collegiate Disc Golf Championship? Hosted by Jay "Yeti" Reading at the REDACTED COURSE NAME.

Link to Reddit thread with discussion of overhead bans.
https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/7cykx0/we_had_jussi_meresmaa_on_the_upshot_this_week_to/

Yes I could not remember the year or the name or the person if it was Jay Reading or Avery Jenkins. I did not want to say the wrong year or person but when somebody said Avery Design the other course for a Worlds Double in the late 1990's early 2000's I thought it was him. The course was not bad design from seeing pictures of it, just the trees and plants were not able to get past a specific height. Overhand shots had to get ban at the Collegiate Tournament and later all over the top of trees and plants shots at a different smaller event that was hosted there. All I know is the course was in Texas and the overhand shot was ban at the Collegiate Championships that it hosted fairly recently.

Thanks for the info.

I played Sea Tac in a light rain with thick low clouds and could only hear the jets at first. Then the clouds lifted a little and holy F#$#* those jets were practicallly touching the treetops! I can see why they removed the homes and created this park.

The BlackHawk and RedHawk courses in Tulsa also have a lot of LOUD low flyers!

Carrollton in St. Louis is built on a "removed for airport expansion" neighborhood converted to a park, but it's off to the side of the runway so you get the noise but no real epic overhead views. Which, I had never thought of and was never disappointed in until just now. Thanks. :|

South Dakota, Omaha park in Rapid City a nine hole built in 1979, yeah South Dakota does have an old school course. It sits very near the train tracks that go through town. Yeah the train track was 7-10 feet behind one of the tee pads of hole 6 if I am not mistaken. That same hole, hole 6 also runs along next to the tracks if I am correct. A train with horn will get people not used to trains in a town, however the trains can only go 30-40 mph through town.

someone listed dual baskets as a con in a recent review???

Cons: A few really big walks between holes. Too many baskets missing arrow to next hole. Too many missing tee signs Would like to see a trash can per nine if not 2. Just helps prevent litter. Dual baskets

I think I can honestly say that I've NEVER seen dual baskets as a con. And I feel like I've read plenty of reviews. That's just...Wow :confused:

They listed dual tees as a pro in the same review.

There's a local here (Charlotte area) who rated a 1000-foot 9-holer a 2.5 because his kids had fun while also rating Harmon Hills a 3.0 because he said it was boring. I'm guessing about a quarter of all reviews on here would qualify for this thread as bad/questionable.

Homer review?...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=10761&mode=rev

The place looks nice and all but 5100' with 3 holes under 200? Ehh… At least there are pics on this one.

I saw that review and spend time in Ruidoso frequently. I love Grindstone Park and was jazzed to see that Cloudcroft "may" have a decent course now.

But that review was devoid of any useful information at all. All I know is that he didn't get eaten by a mountain lion (but could have) and that he liked the course better than Grindstone and Moon Mountain (another new course, not even listed in DGCR).

I need to get back over there...

These are pretty funny. Look at the last 2 reviews of this course. Most recent is a driveby homer review and the second is a driveby negative review a year and a half ago...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=3112&mode=rev#83115

Homer gave it a 5 negativity guy gave it a 1 and not shockingly, the pics are what you would expect... a run of the mill park course with some elevation here and there, 3. haha

I do like the "tell us how you really feel" part where the DVer listed it having a parking lot as a pro, lol... and do like the PSA about the creepy guy following people around.:D

Wish that reviewer elaborated on the creepy old guy. Is that a permanent or temporary course feature?

*wonders if he's been described as "some creepy old guy" by some young kid visiting one of his local courses*

I'm pretty sure he meant that there is 2, sometimes 3, creepy guys per hole. That's more than any course I've ever played. I wishlisted it for sure. :D

As far as next tee signs though, there's a map on the site he wrote his review, 2 spots over from the review tab. If only people could afford quality phones in this day and age. :wall:

Homer gave it a 5 negativity guy gave it a 1 and not shockingly, the pics are what you would expect... a run of the mill park course with some elevation here and there, 3. haha

if the only rating options were a 1 and a 5, which side do you pick?

I've heard many top pros complain about multiple baskets in tourney setting.

I could see multiple baskets being annoying if they serve as extra obstacles in a tight corridor or otherwise obstruct lines towards the baskets you're shooting at, but this doesn't take much more than a modicum of competent course design ability to avoid, and that's literally the only reason I can think of that multiple baskets could ever be a con.

Unless they're horribly plemented, I usually think alt pins is a nice feature.

I've bagged 3 "Black Field Aces" (canned the short pin on a fairway shot intended for the long pin)... if you want to aknowledge such a thing. Only recall the specific hole on one of them, but these were the courses:

Hudson Mills Monster, #1
Orange Crush, WV
Westside, GA

Didn't consider any as holed out... wouldn't feel right. It's not like the course/designer tricked me. I simply hit an obstacle on my throw. Still kinda fun in the moment, though, and certainly beats the hell out of a bad kick.