• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

Before I read the review I thought, "This sounds like Turner Park". Sure enough, it was.

I can see the dissenting opinion to some degrees personally.

All that being said, I really like a lot of the holes at Turner. It has some of my favorite holes I've ever played. I certainly wouldn't rate it a 2, but I think it's a stretch at 3.75 also. Maybe that's my bias because DFW has so many courses better than Turner, I just don't see reason to play it much, if at all. You're always in spitting distance from a better course that won't leave you as worn out as Turner will. Solid 3 though. Maybe 3.5.

absolutely, you can understand the dissent. it is long and grueling in the Texas sun. imo, it's easily a 3.0 but should get 3.5 for the extensive elevation. 3.75 for me just cuz i personally like it and always have fun there.

Last I heard it was being pulled, but that was a few years ago, and it's still there, so maybe they changed their mind?

But, as far as top courses in DFW goes, I'd put Lester Lorche, Z Boaz, Trophy Club, Town Lake, Harry Meyers, Crossroads, and Heritage all above Turner for sure. Probably Veterans too, just because it's not as much as a beating. I personally prefer Gateway to Turner as well just because it's more wooded, even though it's quite a bit easier. I haven't lived in DFW for a few years now, and have only been back to play a couple courses since, but I've heard of a few other good courses that went in in the area that everyone seems to like. But of the courses I've played there, Turner isn't in the top 10. It might be 12 or 13, but with that many great options, I just never really played it when I was there, and certainly don't make it my choice when I visit.

i heard that too but it's still there....

comparing Turner to the rest of DFW, i would certainly agree that Turner doesn't stack up to our best. but i also don't think that's a reason not to call it 3.75, or 3.5 for that matter. we're splitting hairs and most of the courses you listed i wouldn't rate all that much higher. Zboaz and Harry Myers around 4.25 and the rest you mentioned between 3.5 and 4.0.

i also prefer Gateway (in it's original form) but i think Veterans is easily the most overrated course in DFW followed by the Lester Lorch courses. i do think Beaver and Coyote are very good courses but i think the hype is based on the fact that there are two courses onsite.

and if you're back in town you need to go visit the Jaranator. best course in DFW in my opinion and i call it 4.5 cuz it checks all my boxes for what i like.

comparing Turner to the rest of DFW, i would certainly agree that Turner doesn't stack up to our best. but i also don't think that's a reason not to call it 3.75, or 3.5 for that matter. we're splitting hairs and most of the courses you listed i wouldn't rate all that much higher. Zboaz and Harry Myers around 4.25 and the rest you mentioned between 3.5 and 4.0.

i also prefer Gateway (in it's original form) but i think Veterans is easily the most overrated course in DFW followed by the Lester Lorch courses. i do think Beaver and Coyote are very good courses but i think the hype is based on the fact that there are two courses onsite.

and if you're back in town you need to go visit the Jaranator. best course in DFW in my opinion and i call it 4.5 cuz it checks all my boxes for what i like.

I can understand feeling Lester Lorche is overrated, but in my opinion, Coyote is possibly the best course in DFW, and gets rated a little lower because it's associated with Beaver, which isn't quite as fun. Z Boaz would be the only other one that I think challenges it that I've played.

Agreed Gateway's original form was superior, but I still like playing the shorter layout. To me, it's all about how much fun I'm having, and Gateway is just challenging enough, but also rewarding enough in its current layout, that I have more fun than at Turner.

I've also heard good things about Jaranator. From the reviews I've read, I don't know if it'll make top tier for me though, but still easily looks like a solid course that I'll need to play at some point.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=12934&mode=rev#89655

Not necessarily "homer" reviews but two not so helpful, highly scored reviews of the same course in FL. Anybody play here yet? Is it any good?

I played the old layout. which had a very similar front 9, but the new back 9 is completely different. i gave the old course a 2 rating. However i played a year after hurricane Michael and the course was in disarray. Considering the amount of investment they put into it, for example, duel baskets and 3 tees, i could see it having a good deal of appeal to a wide segment of players. My guess if i re-played it, id score it a 3 to 3.5 based on what ive heard. I could see longer throwers rating it even higher as there are lots of bomb opportunities as there isnt much of this in the region. locals say it has great elevation change, which makes me laugh as no hole changes by more than 25 feet. players that prefer heavy woods may not like it.

zero chance its a 4.5 course after (and if) mr butlertron reviews it.

Panama City is like 7 hours from me...I don't know if I'm getting up to the Panhandle for a DG Trip this year...I have Orlando/Daytona area on the docket for March. Hopefully they get through hurricane season with no hits, I'll put the panhandle down for a '23 road trip.

no, but I'm skeptical of "tough wind" in Florida......

I think I've made something like 16 trips to Lincoln. I've been to Panama City twice. I experienced significantly more wind in Panama City.

The panama city courses have been fairly windy every time I've played there. in addition, Majette is a ball course conversion course, so its fairly open with sporadic trees, many of which were mangled by the hurricane.

Mr Butlertron just messaged me a 3.0 rating for Majette. Note: His review score average is the lowest among the Trusted Reviewers. So i'd guess most TRs would score it between a 3.0 and 4.0

Last edited:
I think I've made something like 16 trips to Lincoln. I've been to Panama City twice. I experienced significantly more wind in Panama City.

I stand corrected! my brother lives in Sarasota where the wind doesn't move. you must be autocrossin', baby! (I own a stock Miata NA for poser ice cream runs)

I stand corrected! my brother lives in Sarasota where the wind doesn't move. you must be autocrossin', baby! (I own a stock Miata NA for poser ice cream runs)

Yup!

Lincoln definitely has more persistent wind, but Panama City gets those nasty gulf coast winds.

for example: yesterday we had some 38 mph gusts and I never considered it 'windy'. it's windy cuz Colorado sucks and Iowa blows.....

Weird. When it's windy in Colorado I always thought it was because Wyoming sucks and Nebraska blows. Or so I've heard.

The winds in Florida can be as bad or worse than anywhere else in the country.

All those super windy states just need to plant some trees. Then maybe somebody would throw some discs there...in thirty years ;)

In all seriousness though, I've never been to NE or OK. But I've been to ND the last two years and JFC is it stupid windy. Oklahoma might be my least desired state to play, behind only Hawaii. At least KS and NE have decent looking courses on the farthest east sides. SD is pretty, then excruciatingly boring, then undesirable MN. West to East.