• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

It happens... only matter of time before someone pulls a driveby and we get a lane correction.;)

...and here we go. lol

We'll call this post, "When your review title is almost longer than your actual review..."

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=10987&mode=rev#83731
Title: Every shot Imaginable can Be Utilized Here. Many Different Lines. Many Beautiful Views. Owners are Amazing People!

Pros: Elevation, Every Shot in the Bag, Water, Island, Suspended in Space, The Meadow, the alternate Fairway thru the Gorge, tight fairways, Big Alternates Routes. OWNERS!

Don't think I've ever noticed the car icon before. How long have those been there to let us all know its a driveby?:D

They've been on there a long time. I had never noticed them either until it was pointed out in a thread somewhere.

...and here we go. lol

We'll call this post, "When your review title is almost longer than your actual review..."

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=10987&mode=rev#83731

Don't think I've ever noticed the car icon before. How long have those been there to let us all know its a driveby?:D

They've been on there a long time. I had never noticed them either until it was pointed out in a thread somewhere.

Pretty sure DGCR already had those drive by reviewer when I joined over
a decade ago.

Holy cow! I never noticed the car before...

I like it!

Well now I don't feel so bad for not noticing them for so long.

if the review is the person's first, the drive-by icon will be there immediately. the 2-3 month criteria just means the icon will disappear if they post another review.

45a05158.jpg
If I remember correctly, those baskets were designed and made by Dr. Fred Chittendon.
There were some articles about them in Disc Golf World magazine.

Has anyone tried standardizing (i.e. assign a point system) course rating? I'm new to course rating, but it is something I'd like to get into. With that, giving a course an arbitrary number rating seems short-sighted. So, I've come up with some categories (teepads, baskets, hole design, course design, etc; some are weighted higher than others), with a few options each (obviously high to low point options). Just curious on peoples takes!

I think Olorin developed rating scoring criteria at least that detailed many years ago, but for his own personal use. Pretty sure you can see it if you look at some of the courses he's reviewed. I believe he attached it as a file or something along those lines.

The beauty/curse of DGCR is: reviewers are free to do things their way.

I do have weighted rating criteria. Before DGCR I was a member of the PDGA Course Evaluator program, and that rubric is the basis for my system. I still use the same Design-Basics-Amenities breakdown from that program. You can see the steps in my review process here. You can find the details of my criteria at my highly sophisticated website, Disc Golf Course Reviews. (I had the name before DGCR existed. Note the s on the end.) If you poke around there and look at some of the subpages you can also see my review philosophy and there are some files you can download. Lastly, PM me and I can email you a spreadsheet, if you're interested.

I usually put files in the Files section of the courses I review, so you can see how they work. My most recent is Pleasant Grove. And the link to my course reviews site is always in my signature below (in My DG Course Reviews).

I usually put files in the Files section of the courses I review, so you can see how they work. My most recent is Pleasant Grove. And the link to my course reviews site is always in my signature below (in My DG Course Reviews).

I recall looking at them a few of times on somebody reviews, and was torn somewhere between:

a) being incredibly impressed that anybody put in that much work and went to that level of detail, for course reviews, and...

b) being worried about somebody willing to put that must time and effort analyzing courses.

Took me awhile to realize that they're not mutually exclusive. :)

Here's a BS review for one of the best courses in the Southeast - Panther Creek State Park.
Hard does not equal good
Pros: Long wooded holes and long open holes and some that are a mix of both.

Cons: Drastic elevation change. There were multiple holes where the elevation made the course impossible to play for an average person. I understand that there needs to be more to a course than flat shots but some of the holes are too up hill for it to be even slightly fun. There are multiple trees in the middle of the fairway that should be cut down to make the hole more fair. I am not suggesting that every course be a wide open flat grip and rip style course but this course is something else. If you like 700 ft holes with 10 ft fairways that are up hill at a 45 degree angle this is the course for you.

Other Thoughts: I was very disappointed in the course, I usually HB's courses especially the courses in Morristown. This course seems unfinished and honestly I will not be back because of the elevation change. I did not enjoy the round I played there. I was also picking ticks off me for days after playing panther.

So, he/she (I don't know this person's gender) clearly played a course about two standard deviations about his/her skill level. Want further proof, this same person gave an easy pitch-n-putt course a 5.0 rating that as of this post had garnered 0 positive votes and 31 negative votes. My favorite line in this poor review is, "If you like 700 ft holes with 10 ft fairways that are up hill at a 45 degree angle this is the course for you." Actually, that sounds great to me.

To recap this person's perspective on disc golf, easy courses = perfection. Championship level courses = average/mediocrity.

Last edited:
Thats like the guy who gave Idlewild a 1...https://www.dgcoursereview.com/revi..._played=&exp_reviewed=&sort=curmix&v_rating=1

I will never play Panther Creek(well unless I lose 150lbs) but I absolutely want to. That course has so much fun factor. Yea it has some nasty tunnel shots but it also has a 700ft downhill bomber that's mostly open as long as you don't shank it early left.

It's like the cheapskates who go to a nice steakhouse, are outraged at the prices, and leave a 1-star rating on Google. If Applebees is your speed, then eat there.

If I remember correctly, those baskets were designed and made by Dr. Fred Chittendon.
There were some articles about them in Disc Golf World magazine.

Dr Fred use to argue about these being superior back on the old PDGA discussion board.