• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

I've played Crooked Creek a few times and agree that 4.5 is unfounded. I like the course. I might just have to review it to get that rating normalized some more.

I was debating playing this one next week. We'll see how it plays out. It's a little further out of the way of anything.

I was debating playing this one next week. We'll see how it plays out. It's a little further out of the way of anything.

It's basically a fun little 9. The two tee locations mostly add distance and slight angle changes. About three holes are changed more than that. I played it because it's mostly flat and not too long as I'm dealing with some medical issues that make playing courses like Moraine out of the question right now. With reasonable expectations it would hopefully be enjoyable.

Are you in the Pittsburgh area for a limited time?

Yeah. 2 and a half days. I'll be playing all the obvious must plays, but was thinking of this one if I have extra time.

Yeah. 2 and a half days. I'll be playing all the obvious must plays, but was thinking of this one if I have extra time.

Cool. Covid does change things a little. I've driven past Schenley on a weekend day recently and it was packed. Too packed for my comfort with social distancing. One advantage of Crooked Creek is that you will have space from others.

Without Covid, I'd say the must plays in the area are Deer Lakes, Moraine, and No Boundary (playing solo at No Boundary can be hard though, there are some blind shots). I also really enjoy Two Mile Run Extension which, in my opinion, is a great nine hole course. It feels like Moraine but on a smaller scale. My wife and I played 2MRX a few weeks ago in the middle of the day on a Sunday and it was empty. Really good social distancing disc golf. Some other locals would add Linbrook to the must plays. I haven't played there often enough to say.

Knob Hill will probably be crowded. Deer Lakes has not been crowded. Haven't played Moraine for awhile.

I was planning on all you mentioned except Two mile. Schenely is last in line of those. Was thinking maybe Sugar Creek and Cripple Creek if time allows over Schenely. I'll look up Two Mile when I get home. I'm sure I could squeeze that in too. Thanks for the info 👍

Just post an honest and fair review, for the sake of the next potential visitor. In the long run, inflated reviews draw people who will then give more mainline reviews, and the course rating will correct itself by consensus.
Over time this works, but it sucks when you are the one who gets suckered into playing a mediocre to poor course over other better options due to inflated B.S. ratings. I learned very early on that the ratings on Disc Golf Scene were absolutely skewed and not worth a damn after playing some absolutely garbage courses that were rated B or B+. It doesn't happen often here thank goodness.

Over time this works, but it sucks when you are the one who gets suckered into playing a mediocre to poor course over other better options due to inflated B.S. ratings. I learned very early on that the ratings on Disc Golf Scene were absolutely skewed and not worth a damn after playing some absolutely garbage courses that were rated B or B+. It doesn't happen often here thank goodness.

Take courses that only have a few reviews, with a few grains of salt.

Or maybe a handful of salt.

It wasn't till I started getting around MI and the surrounding states, that I realized:"Hudson Mills is pretty good... but maybe it ain't quite a 4.0." In fact, now that I've seen a bit more, perhaps I've been a tad generous with some of my local courses.":\

This pretty much nailed it for me too. I don't think it's enough to just play a 'bunch' of courses, but rather a range of courses of differing quality.

I held off on writing reviews until I had a chance to play some real quality courses. My perspective changed drastically after going to Bailey.

One thing that should never happen though is slanting a review to bring a rating average up or down based on what you think it should be. Give an honest review and let the chips fall where they may.

This pretty much nailed it for me too. I don't think it's enough to just play a 'bunch' of courses, but rather a range of courses of differing quality.

I held off on writing reviews until I had a chance to play some real quality courses. My perspective changed drastically after going to Bailey.

One thing that should never happen though is slanting a review to bring a rating average up or down based on what you think it should be. Give an honest review and let the chips fall where they may.

Several of my early reviews i'd score a good half point lower today, but there are also a couple that i'd rate higher because my preferences have changed, and continues to evolve. My perspective really didn't solidify until after I moved away from Florida and crossed into the 250 courses played range. by that mark, I had played a good number of both garbage courses to trophy winners, but another big key was that I had also hit several different regions now too. I think its fair to say that the more and more courses one plays, the more honed in their evaluation of a course will be, but playing numerous regions far and wide is a big eye opener as well.

I think its fair to say that the more and more courses one plays, the more honed in their evaluation of a course will be, but playing numerous regions far and wide is a big eye opener as well.

Agreed. Seeing how course designers in different regions adapt to local conditions provides perspective.

Playing courses in different regions is also, to me, one of the more fascinating aspects of disc golf.

Playing courses in different regions is also, to me, one of the more fascinating aspects of disc golf.

The first time I played at sea level, I thought I grabbed someone else's bag by mistake. It was such an eye opener for me, that it changed the way I picked discs when I got home.

Playing different regions is awesome.

Yeah, Disc Golf Scene is so bunk. A nearby course that I have listed as a solid 2.5 (35 reviews) is currently ratted #6 within my state on DGS.

8 of 9 people found this review helpful ???

The following is a little excerpt from a recent review of Tom Brown of Tallahassee, FL, which is arguably Florida's top course. I played it yesterday and was updating the course conditions when I stumbled upon this lump of coal:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=8877&mode=rev

Other Thoughts: I am not sure how Tom Brown is the #1 course in Florida when it's not the best course in Tallahassee. I would actually rate it as the 3rd best course in Tallahassee behind Millstone and Jack McLean. Obviously, this is only my opinion. However, this is my opinion after playing 500+ rounds at Tom Brown. I've also played over 100 courses in America.

I feel that you shouldn't even be able to say it is the best in Florida unless you have played at least 20 courses in Florida. In my personal opinion when you rate a Disc Golf course, everything has to be put in consideration. When a restaurant is rated you take multiple things into consideration. (Ambiance, food, customer service, cleanliness, price, staff etc etc)

Make that 9 out of 10 thumbs up

The following is a little excerpt from a recent review of Tom Brown of Tallahassee, FL, which is arguably Florida's top course. I played it yesterday and was updating the course conditions when I stumbled upon this lump of coal:

Other Thoughts: I am not sure how Tom Brown is the #1 course in Florida when it's not the best course in Tallahassee. I would actually rate it as the 3rd best course in Tallahassee behind Millstone and Jack McLean. Obviously, this is only my opinion. However, this is my opinion after playing 500+ rounds at Tom Brown. I've also played over 100 courses in America.

I feel that you shouldn't even be able to say it is the best in Florida unless you have played at least 20 courses in Florida. In my personal opinion when you rate a Disc Golf course, everything has to be put in consideration. When a restaurant is rated you take multiple things into consideration. (Ambiance, food, customer service, cleanliness, price, staff etc etc)

Mr. Butlertron you're one of my favorite reviewers and I really respect your opinion, but that's one of the best reviews of Tom Brown ever. I once even cashed in the Open division at a tournament there and would agree with just about everything the reviewer said. The reviewer says there's not many options in town so it's no wonder they've played it 500+ times. Not everyone wants to drive an extra 30-45 minutes each way just to play a little better course. I flipping hate traffic...in fact just yesterday when I played a round I went to our 3 Star course to play rather than our 4.5 Star course because I didn't want to drive an extra 15 minutes each way.

Mr. Butlertron you're one of my favorite reviewers and I really respect your opinion, but that's one of the best reviews of Tom Brown ever. I once even cashed in the Open division at a tournament there and would agree with just about everything the reviewer said. The reviewer says there's not many options in town so it's no wonder they've played it 500+ times. Not everyone wants to drive an extra 30-45 minutes each way just to play a little better course. I flipping hate traffic...in fact just yesterday when I played a round I went to our 3 Star course to play rather than our 4.5 Star course because I didn't want to drive an extra 15 minutes each way.

Reviewer gave a 4-star course a 3.0 rating. Even hinted that he could possibly give it a 3.5. Nothing wrong with the review. MrB is grasping at straws here.

Is it bad form to PM people to ask them to really think about their rating? There are currently two 4.5 rating reviews for Crooked Creek. That rating is ludicrous and led me to drive out there when I should not have. I'd rather that didn't happen to other people.

The course was fine and I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. But a 4.5 is worth a drive, in my opinion. If I lived near Crooked Creek, I'd definitely go there and play every once in awhile. Schenley is near me and pre-Covid I would just head over and play there whenever I felt like it.

This is a late reply, but just like others said, the best course of actions is to write a review of your own (as you did).

I respect DGCR ratings tremendously in general. But the quickest way to know a DGCR rating is suspect is if there are only one, or two, or three reviews. While searching for good courses, I've taken to only including courses with five or more reviews. Also, any 9-hole with a rating in that 4 range is suspect. Linbrook is an example of one that was highly suspicious before I played it, even with its 20 reviews. But it is well worth the 3.5.

Reviewer gave a 4-star course a 3.0 rating. Even hinted that he could possibly give it a 3.5. Nothing wrong with the review. MrB is grasping at straws here.

I don't really have a problem with the score as much as the content. I have played the actual course for starters and which makes me somewhat more knowledgeable than, say, yourself on the issue

I don't really have a problem with the score as much as the content. I have played the actual course for starters and which makes me somewhat more knowledgeable than, say, yourself on the issue

Ratings....meh. Reviews...:thmbup::thmbup:

Review portions, by a poster, are a completely subjective description of their experience vs expectations. They, by nature cannot be wrong, just not in agreement with yours. Telling others their opinion is wrong is an uphill battle...and likely one, not in need of battling.

I've played tom brown

I don't have a problem with the score, but the review content has numerous major factually inaccuracies and/or gross embellishments. I would agree with mikek that there is some stuff in the review that's touched on that's not covered by any other reviewers such as sketchy park goers, its popularity and its ongoing trash issue.

A list of major factually inaccuracies and/or gross embellishments.

There is a road with steady thru traffic that can come into play in some way at some point on all 24 holes.
This is a lie. All one has to do is look at the course map to realize how made up this comment is. There is ZERO steady thru traffic. There are low use park roads that come into play on 4 or 5 holes out of 24 total holes.

Many of the holes are the same exact shot.
fake con and/or gross exaggeration imo. Someone could write the same comment about IDGC Jackson or Idlewild and it would hold the same amount of water. There are 24 holes, a couple are bound the play the same, but imo, none are the same. The course photographs I think show this clearly but here's a rundown. it's a 10,000 foot layout with sub 200 foot par 3s to 800 foot par 4s. shot types include doglegs both ways, tunnels shots, hook shots both ways, bombs, tight technical plays, parallel and across creek plays, up shots, down shots, pocket basket placements and tricky greens.

Veteran Baskets MIGHT be the 5th best baskets on the market.
How is 5th, out of lets say 50 basket types, a con?

- Many holes are "tweener" holes.
Imo this is silly con because there are multiple tees here. if you play the tees not according to your skill level, then yes, there will be tweener holes. IMO good course designers will not set specific par levels for multiple tee courses based on one specific person's skill level set.

I would actually rate it as the 3rd best course in Tallahassee behind Millstone and Jack McLean.
Millstone is not even a real course, it was temp layout used one time in the icebowl. I have no problem with someone thinking jack is better than tom brown. They are different styles and both are great courses imo. Of the half dozen or so veteran players that I know that have played both, only one likes Jack better.

Every tee pad was surrounded by small pebbles that get stuck in your shoe from time to time. So, I find myself constantly kicking the pebbles off each pad.
whoa....... what a pathetic whiney b!tch comment.

I have declined to vote on the review, but I have considered giving it a thumb down.

Last edited: