• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

bag straps

Phenix Quads are generally considered the standard, but the DGA Gel Strapz are also pretty popular. Both are comfy, well constructed, and should last for quite some time.

I've had the Innova Backsavers, the FADE WeatherGuard Suspenders, and was very recently given a set of Phenix Quads. I liked the Innova's the least. I can't tell much difference between the way the Phenix and the FADE feel. The Innova's don't have the shock straps on them, and your bag bounces around more, and you feel it more on your back and shoulders. As far as construction, the Quads have the best reputation of any thing on the market. I have been using the FADE straps since around the first of the year, and have about 300 rounds played with them, and so far, so good. They're holding up well. Also, the rain cover thing on the FADE straps works well, it's not a gimmick.

Yeah, Quads are amazingly durable. I've seen dude's with Quads over ten years old and they are still working. My buddy has the Gel straps and he seems to like them, they seem to hold up pretty well on his Carolina Revo.

How big of a bag do you guys get before you consider getting a set of straps? How much of a hassle is it to put the straps on and take them off prior to each shot?

I've got Phenix Quads on a Carolina. Previously I had some no-name bag that held about 15 discs (+ water and all the extra crap) and it had a pretty low-quality strap that cut into my shoulder after a while on the course.

The Quads are great, especially for some of the longer hikes. After a few rounds with 'em I'm pretty used to the program. A single strap is still easier to deal with but the weight distribution/balance that Quads provide is well worth the extra moment it might take to get them on. I often just sling them over one shoulder as well provided the walk isn't that far - still more comfy than my single strap.

They can be a slight hassle to sling on, especially in colder weather when you probably have layers on but all in all not that big of a deal. My bag is a bit heavy with all the crap I'm hauling but to me that's part of the workout that is a round of disc golf.

Last edited:
How big of a bag do you guys get before you consider getting a set of straps? How much of a hassle is it to put the straps on and take them off prior to each shot?

I would put them on anything I could make them fit on. I use them on my Crunch Box, and they're great on it. As far as taking them off and putting them on, it's a non-issue for me. Occasionally I'll just throw them over one shoulder, if I'm not going very far, and that works fine.

IF the bag is made for quad straps, I say go ahead and get them. I have had them for a year and a half now, and I will never go back to a single strap. I have the Innova Competition bag, with the Phoenix Quad-Shocks, and they work great.

As far as taking them on and off, no problems at all. the more you wear them, the easier it gets.