• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bald Eagles on a Disc Golf Course

We used to have a nesting pair of bald eagles on #16 at NAD Park, but a couple of years ago we had a big wind storm that broke off the top of their tree, and took most of the nest with it. They still come around and perch in the tress, but I don't think they're nesting there any longer.

I was wondering when someone from the Northwest would respond here. Washington is the only place I've ever seen one. Never on the disc golf course though. Rumor has it that there was one hanging around Juel on Saturday.

While it's not my field of expertise, I did a quick search and found the US Fish and Wildlife National Bald Eagle Management Guidelines. In it they have different buffer zone requirements based on the activity.

Category F. Non-motorized recreation and human entry (e.g., hiking, camping,
fishing, hunting, birdwatching, kayaking, canoeing). No buffer is necessary around nest
sites outside the breeding season. If the activity will be visible or highly audible from the
nest, maintain a 330-foot buffer during the breeding season, particularly where eagles are
unaccustomed to such activity.

I don't know the true legal aspects but I can certainly imagine a bureaucrate coming in and demanding that the basket be moved. Good luck fighting that!!

Around here eagle are getting relatively common but ospreys (which are also protected) are becoming a real nuisance and I have heard of folks actively keeping them from building nests on their property.

We have a private course here in MO and one day we came out of the woods to the next hole and across the field up in a tree was a bald eagle. Incredible site to see.

Think about how rare it would be to see a human if there were only 10,000 in the US, all spread out. Seeing a bald eagle is pretty amazing.

There are a couple eagles up here in Alaska. Usually, I am looking at the horizon for bear and moose though. Got charged a few weeks ago at kincaid on hole 7 by a big old moose. Almost dropped a load in my pants...

For as long as I've been alive Keokuk IA has been a popular bald eagle watching spot.

In fact every year of elementary school all the school kids 'get' to stand by the Mississippi River in February cold, by our lock & dam, to go eagle spotting.

By the time I was in second grade I had no desire to see a bald eagle ever again, lol.

For as long as I've been alive Keokuk IA has been a popular bald eagle watching spot.

In fact every year of elementary school all the school kids 'get' to stand by the Mississippi River in February cold, by our lock & dam, to go eagle spotting.

By the time I was in second grade I had no desire to see a bald eagle ever again, lol.

Wow.... I actually feel myself feeling a little sorry for you. :|

I have heard that Bald Eagles are higher in numbers and concentration in the Iowa and Illinois region during the spring time because it's a natural mating area for them. I have seen them on 3 different occasions, twice in IL around the Starved Rock state park and once in Iowa right on the Mississippi river.

I think that it's far more dramatic if you stumble upon one than when you go looking for them at a popular viewing spot. It's always more impressive seeing something that you didn't expect.

Latest posts