• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket Heights_Low

Posted this on your Facebook thread as well but I really like this one at Manchester longford park which is situated in an old Ball golf Bunker. Basket is installed at the normal height but it is in a man made hollow with a small ridge around 3/4'ers of the hole. Similar to Chucks example above. If you are outside of about 8 meters you have to loft a putt over the ridge and float into the chains rather than laser it. Or from the tee look to land long and left where you can have an open unobstructed putt (in the video Charlie shows the issue with the 8 meter up and over putt and James flubs the perfect positioned drive putt but Matt makes his) In case the share doesn't work it starts at 2:24:00 ish into the vid)

Posted this on your Facebook thread as well but I really like this one at Manchester longford park which is situated in an old Ball golf Bunker. Basket is installed at the normal height but it is in a man made hollow with a small ridge around 3/4'ers of the hole. Similar to Chucks example above. If you are outside of about 8 meters you have to loft a putt over the ridge and float into the chains rather than laser it. Or from the tee look to land long and left where you can have an open unobstructed putt (in the video Charlie shows the issue with the 8 meter up and over putt and James flubs the perfect positioned drive putt but Matt makes his) In case the share doesn't work it starts at 2:24:00 ish into the vid)

Nice

I have a few holes I've done similar with and intend to utilise it more in future. It really throws you off especially on approach shots on a par 4 where you aren't playing from the same lie each round so it's even harder to judge.

I really like this feature to play around with. Depending on how the mounds are built and the topography of the hole it can also make the basket appear a lot closer than it actually is (place the basket on a mound as well with a little valley between the guarding mounds and the basket and it makes the basket look like it is on the first mounds). It really plays tricks with the mind and you so often end up a lot shorter than you intend to on the approach. The mounds can be really small to achieve this, around a meter in height, so it doesn't take much earth works.

We have an object course here with painted posts and tone poles. The heights don't change much, but the narrow width makes it a bit more difficult to judge scale at a distance. There are two holes that still continue to mess with my head when looking at them. They are a bit over 350' but look closer to the mid to high 200s.

Installed a basket on a new course where the tray is just a foot above grade. The hole is open at 300' with basket grade about 7-8' higher than tee. Built two semi-circular mounds about 3' high that bracket the basket like parentheses about 15' from it. Creates an optical illusion from the tee that basket is farther from the tee than the mounds. If you land outside the mounds, you'll likely have to loft your putt rather than drill it at the chains. Just played it for the first time a few days ago and it challenged all three of us in different ways. Forgot to take photo to show how it looks.
Here's the photo of this short basket. Hard to tell in this shot how close and how high the mounds are surrounding it.

Attachments

• Hole 16 short basket web.jpg
    Hole 16 short basket web.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts