• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket Heights_Low

Installed a basket on a new course where the tray is just a foot above grade. The hole is open at 300' with basket grade about 7-8' higher than tee. Built two semi-circular mounds about 3' high that bracket the basket like parentheses about 15' from it. Creates an optical illusion from the tee that basket is farther from the tee than the mounds. If you land outside the mounds, you'll likely have to loft your putt rather than drill it at the chains. Just played it for the first time a few days ago and it challenged all three of us in different ways. Forgot to take photo to show how it looks.

There is a course in El Paso, Il. The original baskets are battered with shallow basket attachments that have been bent to the point where a putter can just fall out of the tray.

picture.php

Until you get to hole 9 (the course is a niner.) Hole 9 has a modern Discatcher. For the one actual decent basket on this course, they installed it really low and at an angle, like it's set up for a roller to pop up and in or to make it easier for skip aces or something.

picture.php

As it is, it's just another weird element to a really bad course. I couldn't imagine anybody doing this on a decent course.

You literally have to bend over everyone of the 115 flick rollers you throw per round. I don't think bending over 8 extra inches on 1 hole is going to make a difference. Lol

The chain support is right where the head would normally go when picking up a disc off the ground. The extra twisting motion of avoiding a head-bang and reaching under the chain support and over the tray edge puts a lot of strain on the back.

On the other hand, leaning on the chain support helps in getting upright again.

You literally have to bend over everyone of the 115 flick rollers you throw per round. I don't think bending over 8 extra inches on 1 hole is going to make a difference. Lol

But I don't throw rollers (at least not intentionally). And a guy I frequently play with has a device (pole with a suction cup on it) to pick up discs so you don't have to bend over....seriously though, at 6'1", 62 years old with a bad back....I'd rather not have to bend/kneel down to make a putt, but I can live with it....heck, sometimes I have to bend/kneel down to putt under a branch and while my body complains...it's part of disc golf.

And I'm picking up my disc after every throw....I'm just glad there aren't a lot of short baskets.

When I miss circle 1 putts on elevated baskets I'm wayyy over there.
When I miss circle 1 putts on low baskets I'm parked.
Low baskets please :p

....If you eliminate the discussion from traditionalists that only like a standardized height...

What do you all think about lower than normal disc golf baskets as a design element?
Why do we not see as many of them?

(I understand why DGPT does it...for the sponsor area)

Lower baskets would probably increase my putting percentage dramatically...

I have historically (and people who have played with me might say hysterically) been a low putter...

I would actually like to see more lower baskets...

I would estimate that during my "prime" playing (days) rounds, on average I would nail the cage an inch or two low on most 10 meter putts at least 6-8 times per 18 holes...

:thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown:

tradition be damned,

more variety please...

Make it like a putt-putt course.
Hole #1- standard height pin surrounded by 1/2 size Stonehenge replica. One day out of the year you can't miss a putt.
Hole #2- jungle jim 30 ft. dia. geodesic dome with pin attached at top center. Disc retrieval at your own risk.
Hole #3- pin placement behind porta-potties. Plastic discs whacking hollow outhouses scares the crap out of you. And pissed-off users might also beat the crap out of you.
Hole #4- pin hidden in parking lot. Must sign a waiver accepting all damage costs.
Hole #5- pin completely surrounded by random triggered guillotines. Disc retrieval at your own risk.
Hole #666- basket hanging Upside-down surrounded by a real "ring of fire". 30 foot circle bon-fire complete with pentagram. Disc retrieval at your own risk.
Hole #7- pin in the bottom center of a 12 ft. deep 30 ft dia. swimming pool. Toss from anywhere outside the pool and watch it sink. Jump in and retrieve disc if it floated into basket or finish putting out holding your breath.

What do you all think about lower than normal disc golf baskets as a design element?
Why do we not see as many of them?

Idk if discussed, but maybe mowing. A lot of these parks are done by zero turn riding mower and you don't want the basket too low or it will catch something and damage it or be damaged.

Make it like a putt-putt course.

Hole #2- jungle jim 30 ft. dia. geodesic dome with pin attached at top center. Disc retrieval at your own risk.

We used to have one of these on my local course mid fairway on the longest hole. (minus the basket) We used to call it the Thunder Dome. No relief from this course element...play it as it lies!!

It was sadly removed for scrap metal. The reasoning being that it was 'unsafe'. (it had been moved twice that I can remember it 30 years)

Putting up/down hill are skills to be mastered.

Raising and lowering baskets is a reasonable way to somewhat compensate for topgraphy that's basically flat as a pancake.

Much easier to change the basket height than change the lay of the land. Probably more environmentally friendly, too.

Even though I like the idea of sinking sliders and rollers in a basket installed with the rim even with the grade, this should perhaps only be done on a private course where it can be maintained. For public courses, mounting the basket lower on the pole but not below grade makes more sense. Basket trays in the ground are more likely to flood, gather trash, attract critters or fill with mud and make the older players reach farther down than they already do to pick up their discs.

They had a basket that had the top of the cage flush with the ground at the now extinct Treehaven in WI. It was cute the one time I played it. Looked stupid and played that way as well. Definition of gimmick.

I got to play the Hippodrome a couple of times and emptied my bag throwing rollers at that basket buried in the ground like it was a ball golf cup. My 5th or 6th one with my trusty 2001-ish Champion Stingray "Multi-Purpose" actually rolled in! Super fun. I'm okay with that if it's just one, wouldn't want to see lots of those though.

Both higher and lower shrink the usable size of the basket. I would rather just have smaller baskets than have baskets of different heights all over the place.

I like having basket heights up and down now and then. So long as it adds to the challenge or interest of the hole which it can do if you have an open mind to it. Very few people (read none) are going to have the money or desire to switch out to a basket (which aside from the ridiculous Marksman baskets do not exist on the market BTW) that is going to piss off 99.999% of the DG populous.

The chain support is right where the head would normally go when picking up a disc off the ground. The extra twisting motion of avoiding a head-bang and reaching under the chain support and over the tray edge puts a lot of strain on the back.

On the other hand, leaning on the chain support helps in getting upright again.

I'm appalled at your heighism; heightist. To a tall person 18 normal baskets create this dangerous, potentially deadly "extra twisting" of the back. I'm not surprised with all the systemic heightism in disc golf. Normal height baskets, short tee pads, low hanging branches. Ed Headrick, a well known heightist, even removed the ability for discs to float which requires tall people to fully bend over to get their disc off the ground after every throw. I recently saw a year book photo of his!! He was on stilts doing "tall shoe" for halloween!!!

They had a basket that had the top of the cage flush with the ground at the now extinct Treehaven in WI. It was cute the one time I played it. Looked stupid and played that way as well. Definition of gimmick.

did you see vq installed one of these recently

vq also now have the self proclaimed highest raised dg basket ever that you need a ladder to reach the basket to retrieve your disc

vq also now have the self proclaimed highest raised dg basket ever that you need a ladder to reach the basket to retrieve your disc

Are the ladder rungs playing surfaces?

I did not. Sounds pretty dumb though.

Creates an optical illusion from the tee that basket is farther from the tee than the mounds. If you land outside the mounds, you'll likely have to loft your putt rather than drill it at the chains.

I have a few holes I've done similar with and intend to utilise it more in future. It really throws you off especially on approach shots on a par 4 where you aren't playing from the same lie each round so it's even harder to judge.

I really like this feature to play around with. Depending on how the mounds are built and the topography of the hole it can also make the basket appear a lot closer than it actually is (place the basket on a mound as well with a little valley between the guarding mounds and the basket and it makes the basket look like it is on the first mounds). It really plays tricks with the mind and you so often end up a lot shorter than you intend to on the approach. The mounds can be really small to achieve this, around a meter in height, so it doesn't take much earth works.

Latest posts