• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baskets with "bands"...

Karl

Eagle Member
For a new course, I'm thinking of recognizing the hole sponsors with - amongst other things - "the writing of their name / business on the band of their hole's basket". I'm thinking that (as I've seen on a few other courses throughout the world) one can:

a) weld / screw on a metal plate engraved with info
b) paint on the existing band
c) sand blast the entire band, repaint (with name / business), etc.
d) others? Explain.

If you would, please tell me of your experience(s) in doing such. Yeh, I want to hear both the good and the bad (and the ugly...I guess). Thanks!

Karl

Dont try to paint it wont work.

Vinyl lettering that is weather proof and can be easily changed seems like the best/cheapest bet.

We use these for temp address #s or contact info on a site etc. Never tried on a basket but assume it would work...

9499ed6c-e7d9-46cf-9754-5ead3fa2133b_1.25f428a0debec12bda8e6358dce178ca.jpeg

I'd consider getting the vinyl decals made with the branding/font of the company. Shouldn't be all that expensive and it is a good idea... I think you could even clear coat over the vinyl to give it an extra level of protection.

Yeah clear enamel works fine but it did hurt the adhesive of one kind of lettering which was weird. Made them all dry and crumbly but cant remember name brand.

You can find most packs for $5-10 and they are legit. Custom stuff isnt much more for the quality when you consider leftovers finished product etc.. Some DGCR peeps might even be able to help if they have plotters.

There are plenty of people on this board that do custom graphics. I imagine you could get a good deal on it if you looked around a little.

Vistaprint custom bumper stickers are about $3 for one with your own images and text. Quick logo / image on left side. Two lines of text banner with appropriate background color. That might not be the most elegant thing, but it would be pretty low skill/time/effort. Replacements and updates would be easy if continued.

open

This is what we did. Used a car wrap material with UV laminate. Cost between $20 and $30 each. We did our own artwork.

Sorry, image won't show up. The signs are printed in full color. Have been on a year and look great. They are on the front of the baskets and have taken a lot of hits from discs, but no noticeable damage. Be sure to have the corners rounded, was told square corners peel easier.

Vistaprint custom bumper stickers are about $3 for one with your own images and text. Quick logo / image on left side. Two lines of text banner with appropriate background color. That might not be the most elegant thing, but it would be pretty low skill/time/effort. Replacements and updates would be easy if continued.

I think the trouble with a bumper sticker like this is that it may encourage others to put more random stickers on the target as well. There are already dopes out there who put bumper stickers -disc related and not- on baskets (and signs and anything else they can find), not to mention tagging baskets and signs with marker/paint. Don't want to give them any wiggle room to say "I thought it was okay because of that one".

I think if it's meant to be long term or even permanent, spending a little bit more to make it look professional and well done is worth it. I like the idea of vinyl graphic wraps around the entire band or metal plaques that are bolted or welded on, especially if every basket can get the same treatment.

I think if it's meant to be long term or even permanent, spending a little bit more to make it look professional and well done is worth it. I like the idea of vinyl graphic wraps around the entire band or metal plaques that are bolted or welded on, especially if every basket can get the same treatment.

Agreed. Vinyl wrap the entire band is probably the easier way to go and gives you the ability to customize each one to better represent the sponsors. Work in the Hole # and company name and logo, even mock some up when making your sales pitch. The more effort you put in to this the better chance you have of being taken seriously by companies. Good luck!

Thanks for your thoughts (about 7 people in 12 or so posts) advocating "vinyl" but there still haven't been any 'good or bad' experiences regarding welding, sandblasting, painting, et al that I'd mentioned in post 1. Anyone?

Thanks for your thoughts (about 7 people in 12 or so posts) advocating "vinyl" but there still haven't been any 'good or bad' experiences regarding welding, sandblasting, painting, et al that I'd mentioned in post 1. Anyone?

Why waste all the time doing this ?

What if sponsors change, are they getting a basket for life on the course? I would prefer to wrap them so that one day the wrap could be removed and presto.... The basket still looks like new!

The wraps would look super pro compared to the other options and save time AND money compared to sand blasting and a repaint. I would not strip them prior to paint, just sand, prep, and clean the existing paint and use that is as a base to prime/repaint over if this is the way you go.

You are trying too hard to complicate this endeavour :D. Just throwing my 2 cents out there :p.

Why waste all the time doing this ?

What if sponsors change, are they getting a basket for life on the course? I would prefer to wrap them so that one day the wrap could be removed and presto.... The basket still looks like new!

The wraps would look super pro compared to the other options and save time AND money compared to sand blasting and a repaint. I would not strip them prior to paint, just sand, prep, and clean the existing paint and use that is as a base to prime/repaint over if this is the way you go.

You are trying too hard to complicate this endeavour :D. Just throwing my 2 cents out there :p.

The vinyl wraps are sooo easy to do and can be removed in a year or two if your sponsor goes away. The wraps can be easily replaced if they get vandalized. A lot of print shops are now offering these, it is not just auto wrappers any more.

I have seen the brass "trophy plates" bolted onto the rim as well. But, those are not as easy to replace if you get new sponsors. They also have to be curved by the creator to fit properly. Wrapping could include all the information and logos from the sponsor in the sponsors "colors" so it is a win win.

It requires a lot of labor to sand down and refinish a target. To do it right, you have to remove all the chains, sand, prime and new powdercoat. Any refinishing that isn't done professionally won't hold up very long. It is very labor intensive. A new wrap takes about 10 minutes to install.

Don't overthink it. Wrapping is easier and the more creative, the better.

Here are some examples of wraps:

ebff682b.jpg

0442eeea.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Josh, et al, anyone know of such 'vinyl wrapped' baskets in New England / northeast (so I might see them 'in the flesh')?
Thanks in advanced.

We had some vinyl graphics made for the bands on our Prodigy baskets. Instead of a complete full wrap, we did a one foot long print on clear vinyl. We did the university logo on one and the sponsor and n the other. Then we put them between the Prodigy logos on either side. It could work the same with Discatchers. I'll try to find a photo.

1dc6fffbedb27e3cc154ddd323142a18.jpg
1e4846acf8ff9053c804a6f61de414ce.jpg
72489e5cdc4a46d0ddd1a0b772831189.jpg

Took a minute to find a few, but here's how they look. This makes it less expensive than a full wrap, and also is easier to apply.

Latest posts