• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beaded Understable Driver?

I know you described base plastic as "finicky" but for what you want, an understable beaded FW driver, there's nothing better than a beat up base line Cyclone. Learning to throw understable base plastic is quite useful and enjoyable, and there's nothing finicky about 'em once you figure out how to throw understable drivers.

I don't know of any understable beaded drivers. If you're looking to disc down from the Road Runner you may want to try the Glide or Leopard. The Leopard is a bit faster and has more fade at the end. The Glide is just really smooth and takes no effort at all.

Yeah I don't know how many fairway drivers are beaded and truly understable. I would say get a beat in beaded driver in baseline plastic. That, or learn how to get comfortable with non-beaded drivers because it'll help your more than hinder you further down the line.

I'm new to throwing backhand, and I picked up a 168g star sidewinder. It feels good in the hand, and releases easily. It started out pretty stable, but has slowly worked in to be a turning/straight fairway tool for me.

Westside warship. feels good in hand. It has some bead. glides forever and is straight to understable. fade is minimal. not the fastest disc, but glide gives it length.

if you don't like base line plastic, consider a pro leopard. if you can find a lighter one it should be exactly what you want. you might also try a lighter elite X XL.

that said, i agree with what JoshEpoo said. worn in base line plastic is great!

Whoever said the Xpress was right. It's beaded and if you like cyclones you'll like the xpress. It's like a beat cyclone but in premium (elite Z) plastic.

Idk if the xpress has a bead.... but it could be what you're looking for.

Don't stratii have a bead? And aren't they major US?

I think these two might be the closest to what you are looking for. Check out both the Xpress and Stratus in Elite X or X plastic. Both are understable in that plastic blend and I believe both have a bead as well. Can usually find them brand new for $9 - $12 each.

I think these two might be the closest to what you are looking for. Check out both the Xpress and Stratus in Elite X or X plastic. Both are understable in that plastic blend and I believe both have a bead as well. Can usually find them brand new for $9 - $12 each.

stratus has a very shallow rim/lip with a groove, not a bead (i think)

Stratus is going to be the closest thing he's going to find in the US FW driver/mid category with anything resembling a bead ... that not going to need to be beat half to death first anyway. The xpresss is a nice US driver as well but I wouldn't say it has a bead.

Beyond their stability, I've also begun to think about how different they feel from mainstays in my bag - namely, Cyclones, Pains, and Comets, all of which are beaded. While I'm not completely against throwing discs with different feels, I was wondering if there are any understable discs out there that are beaded, and feel closer to what I'm used to with the other discs I named. Any suggestions?

What kind of line/distance are you trying to hit that you can't with those molds?

Stratus is going to be the closest thing he's going to find in the US FW driver/mid category with anything resembling a bead ... that not going to need to be beat half to death first anyway. The xpresss is a nice US driver as well but I wouldn't say it has a bead.

It's most definitely a bead. Here's an ebay listing with a zoomed picture of the underside rim. It's clearly visible. Put an old TP Cyclone in your hand and flatten the dome and beat it up some. You've got really close to an elite X Xpress.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-HANDICAPPED-NOT-DIE-DESIGN-DISCRAFT-ELITE-Z-XPRESS-GOLF-DISC-W-174-G-/230916474291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c3b1c5b3

Thanks for the continued feedback, folks. At this point, the Xpress is on my to-buy list.

What kind of line/distance are you trying to hit that you can't with those molds?

Gradually right-turning holes greater than 250', especially when the line is such that there isn't much space to the right. Like hole six at City Park, for instance: trees lining to the right for the first 20 feet or so, so that there's no space to work, and the basket sits 310' away about 15 or 20 degrees right of straight. I can use my Comet on shorter holes or flex one of my other drivers when there's enough space, but I don't have a reliable answer to these sorts of turnover shots at the moment. Part of the reason I'm not as interested in the Stratus is because it seems like it'd overlap a lot with my Comet without adding much distance.

I second or third or whatever for trying a Stalker. They have a small bead that feels good in the hand and are fairly understable usually, although I got a pretty beefy Cryztal one. In general, they're pretty understable, though.

Just having read the post again, a light 160's River not able to hold a turn? Maxing out at less than 300' w/ fairway drivers? These might be related. But really, just smack a few trees with that River and it will hold a turn all the way to the ground. Even though you likely don't have the snap to hyzer-flip it, it should ride a right turn if thrown flat. If not, you've got a freak OS light one and I want it.

Latest posts