• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Beast?

I have a beast in my bag and l like the disc but its not my go to disc. I would stick to the valk, roadrunner, and grooves until you get your throw worked out well. My go to disc now is the destroyer and wraith.

When i throw my (new mold) DX beast 176g, it flips and rolls in a huge arch. It's the one disc in my bag i have not been able to tame, no matter what angle i throw it at. For a benchmark, I am throwing my Teebird 300 ft on its ideal flight path.

the beast is the disc i usually go to when i ponder too long about what to use...just use the beast

I guess I had one of the new mold champ beasts then, because it was too understable and fast for me i think...I would flip it way too much way too often, and it wouldn't ever fade back.

I let a friend use it and he lost it,...and I honestly don't mind too much.

I didn't throw beasts for a long time when i started playing, but now i always cary on in my bag. If you have the arm to get the disc out there...with the appropriate amount of snap and speed...the disc has a long slow turn with a predictable fade...giving the disc a str8 finish. I use mine for dogleg right shots that aren't to extreme or if I want to "snake" the fairway and finish middle. Good tail wind disc and down hill disctance discs and good for big turnover shots as well.

I've actually got one that I found that is sturdy (stable) enough giving me the option to push it through a headwind...almost giving it the flight of a big sidewinder.

....(continued)

...and yes, I agree with the others. If you don't have the arm for the disc...it won't fly right for ya....disc down. I'd say leopord.

the beast has a really wide rim which makes it a "must have a decent sized arm to throw" disc. Try a lighter pro or dx beast

I have an old mold Champ Beast. It is very straight on my 300' throws. I also have a new mold Champ Beast that turns over. Both are great discs. I like the R-Pro Boss as well(except for durability.) I can throw the Boss about 30ft farther than any other disc on the practice field.

Last edited:
In actuality the valk and the beast are so close it isnt worth carrying both. I would chose the beast over the valk because it has more glide. If you do not have the arm to get the beast to go straight 90% of the time I would also suggest moving down to the leopard. If you start flipping the leopard over, then try and find a used beast. I have a beat beast that generally goes farther than my destroyer, because it has time to do an s curve. I carry both the destroyer and the beast because they do different things for me.

I completely agree with Harr0410. The valk and the beast are so close that both aren't really needed. I do have both however...the beast I have is really stable, moreso than my last...and the valk I have is really understable (almost to the point of sidewinder). I use the beast for str8 to downhill shots, but the valk for uphill shots trying to accomplish the same line the beast would on a flat or downhill shot. My beast won't turn very much if thrown uphill.

Anyways...yeah, go with the leopard, if you start to turn it over to much...go with the beast or valk...BUT DON'T GET RID OF THE LEOPARD!!!

Why you ask???

I have a really beat up star and it turns over big time when I bomb it...but it's the best "low power" driver I have.

When beat up you can make it fade, go str8, turn then fade back, or completely turn.

LEOPARD is a great medium-long to long range finesse disc.

Last edited:
I too only throw about 250 to 300' depending on the throw. But I love my Beast! It will go 10 to 15' further than my Wraith, Valk, Viking, Teebird, Archangle, Crush, or my Leopards.

For $7 or $8.00 even if you can't throw one very far now, you will later, so why not invest and try it out if you have the $$. I love it because it preforms the same way forehand or backhand, just in reverse, unlike my Leopards, and Teebird which turn into rollers forehand.

Donald

I'm curious to all you beast lovers...how do you feel about the Discraft Z Flash. Strickly comparing it to the beast. (I have been told they are similar)

i havent found them to be very similar

for me the beast stays much straighter

I found a flash one time. Threw it a few times, but then gave it to a friend. Maybe it was beat up a little to much, but it flew like a roadrunner or sidewinder for me. 175 G

For awhile i threw beasts on almsot every hole, their great discs.

Ive always kept a couple beasts in my bag for years, I love them. My only ace was with a star beast 175g. For me it is a very predictable driver, I use one several times every round pretty much wherever im playing at. I can throw the beast 300-350 feet with quite a bit of accuracy.

Latest posts