• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beaver State Fling 2016

Congrats, man! Play well!

I have been playing very poorly lately, and it's making me a little nervous.
It will be a very long weekend if I don't get my stuff together.
Too much golf, and too long of a course, for short bad shots, compared to my usual short good shots.

How much would a used satellite truck cost? I think if the PDGA is serious about growing the sport, they need to invest in one. Or figure out a way to spread the cost out over themselves and the main disc companies/event sponsors.(Innova, Vibram, Discraft, Trillogy, etc...) None of the guys that are doing coverage now are likely to able to afford one anytime soon, unless I win the lottery and donate one myself. Or someone gets Nike, Redbull or Monster into the mix....

How much would a used satellite truck cost? I think if the PDGA is serious about growing the sport, they need to invest in one. Or figure out a way to spread the cost out over themselves and the main disc companies/event sponsors.(Innova, Vibram, Discraft, Trillogy, etc...) None of the guys that are doing coverage now are likely to able to afford one anytime soon, unless I win the lottery and donate one myself. Or someone gets Nike, Redbull or Monster into the mix....
Hardly anybody buys a satellite truck unless you are in the satellite truck rental business.

Hell... even ESPN rents them when they setup at most locations.

The cost is currently prohibitive when you look at the audience size that is connecting to live streams at the moment. We need E-Sports type numbers before anybody thinks about spending $5000+ / day on their uplink.

Even if someone in disc golf (PDGA, a manufacturer, whomever) were to gain full time access to a satellite truck for nothing, the costs of buying time on a satellite for a live broadcast would still be too cost prohibitive to utilize. And there's still the issue that the truck would need to receive the signals from the cameras on the course before they could beam the signal up to a satellite and then out to where ever. The cameras would either have to be hardwired back to the truck (making following the action through the course next to impossible) or they'd have to wirelessly transmit their feeds, which absent cell/wifi signal would probably require some sort of line of sight relay which would be difficult given the terrain/foliage at most courses.

If we're on the subject of broadcasting - which, it seems like we always are, lately - I have been thinking recently that disc golf might be able to be the first truly internet-based, non-live sport. Why not? Most of us are out playing during the peak tournament hours anyway, and it's more convenient to be able to pull up footage later that night.

My proposal: Put the "live stream" on tape delay to later in the evening for those who want to watch a whole round the day it happens. Takes care of the "spoilers" crowd. For those with more self-control, the edited post-coverage can still work really well.

Just look at the numbers for the Spin's post-produced content versus any concurrent live stream views. Let's push disc golf to a new model.

Even if someone in disc golf (PDGA, a manufacturer, whomever) were to gain full time access to a satellite truck for nothing, the costs of buying time on a satellite for a live broadcast would still be too cost prohibitive to utilize. And there's still the issue that the truck would need to receive the signals from the cameras on the course before they could beam the signal up to a satellite and then out to where ever. The cameras would either have to be hardwired back to the truck (making following the action through the course next to impossible) or they'd have to wirelessly transmit their feeds, which absent cell/wifi signal would probably require some sort of line of sight relay which would be difficult given the terrain/foliage at most courses.
Does anybody make a device that creates wifi hotspots for this type of thing? Maybe they could get a couple of them and spread them around the course?... I don't know but there has got to be something they can do...

If we're on the subject of broadcasting - which, it seems like we always are, lately - I have been thinking recently that disc golf might be able to be the first truly internet-based, non-live sport. Why not? Most of us are out playing during the peak tournament hours anyway, and it's more convenient to be able to pull up footage later that night.

My proposal: Put the "live stream" on tape delay to later in the evening for those who want to watch a whole round the day it happens. Takes care of the "spoilers" crowd. For those with more self-control, the edited post-coverage can still work really well.

Just look at the numbers for the Spin's post-produced content versus any concurrent live stream views. Let's push disc golf to a new model.

Like the creative stream. Let's set TIMES that these things are going to be released...6PM after an early round or sometime. Set up some online primetime viewing. If I had a schedule for a Fri-Sat knowing when and where the videos would be posted, I'd be tuned in a good portion of the time.

Does anybody make a device that creates wifi hotspots for this type of thing? Maybe they could get a couple of them and spread them around the course?... I don't know but there has got to be something they can do...
WiFi hotspots still rely on cell networks at this point.

There are large-scale mobile cell 'towers' that are now being setup at big events like concerts, festivals, sporting events, etc by some of the major cell carriers. They are super expensive to rent/own but there is a ton of value for a company like Verizon to have everybody on their network at a place like Coachella, so I'm sure they have a deal worked out where they provide the service for all of the advertising/exposure.

I don't think they would see a disc golf broadcast in the same light.

I thought that Innova/PDGA did this before they split off and became Discgolfplanet/Terrafirma Media.

I think alot of these ideas are still a good bit before their time for DG. We don't have the numbers to generate the ad revenue to make it a really financially viable idea.

I thought that Innova/PDGA did this before they split off and became Discgolfplanet/Terrafirma Media.

I think alot of these ideas are still a good bit before their time for DG. We don't have the numbers to generate the ad revenue to make it a really financially viable idea.

That's why I said invest... You cant expect to build up the numbers if you aren't doing everything you can to increase it. I'm sure they do more than we hear about but it doesn't appear so from where I sit. Financially viable.....:doh: Too bad we aren't still in a time where the media wing of an organization wasn't supposed to be a profit center... That's why MSNBC and FOX News are so polarizing. They're more interested in making money than they are reporting the news.

Last edited:
That's why I said invest... You cant expect to build up the numbers if you aren't doing everything you can to increase it. I'm sure they do more than we hear about but it doesn't appear so from where I sit. Financially viable.....:doh: Too bad we aren't still in a time where the media wing of an organization wasn't supposed to be a profit center... That's why MSNBC and FOX News are so polarizing. They're more interested in making money than they are reporting the news.
Rephrase: ...but it doesn't appear like they're doing a whole lot from where I sit.

Latest posts