• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beaver State Fling 2016

That statement is meant to be directed at the PDGA not the guys who are already doing vids for little or no profit...

That statement is meant to be directed at the PDGA not the guys who are already doing vids for little or no profit...

The PDGA invested pretty heavily (rumors of $70K) into the DGP around the time of their Beach Sports Network thing. That didn't seem to go over well with the constituency (well, a vocal minority of the membership) as a misappropriation of funds. I can imagine what the reaction would be if they "invested" further in live broadcast technology that didn't instantly elevate tournament coverage by a factor of 50.

Just consider that rumored investment from a couple years ago...that's probably just about the entire budget for that ADGT/ESPN3 thing last month. One event, 90 minutes of air time, a sham of a 6-hole "course" designed to be easy to be filmed by the hard-wired cameras. Taking anything like that broadcast out on to a full course is going to double, if not triple that budget at minimum. That kind of money just doesn't exist in the sport yet, even with the PDGA, at least not in the sense that it could be spent on one event and there be enough left to do another one later in the same year, let alone a week or two later at the next tournament on the schedule.

The growth of media coverage (live and edited) has slowly and steadily increased over the last few years. I think it's going to continue at that pace and be just fine. There's no rush.

Sorry if this isn'T the right place for this. I was thinking about attending BFS saturday and was wondering what to expect. Is parking tough to find...is finding the card you want to watch hard? When is the best time to get there? Thanks from a tournament noob.

Sorry if this isn'T the right place for this. I was thinking about attending BFS saturday and was wondering what to expect. Is parking tough to find...is finding the card you want to watch hard? When is the best time to get there? Thanks from a tournament noob.

Parking isn't bad, you just may have to walk a bit to reach tourney central. Saturday rounds are by tee time, which should be posted sometime Friday evening, so finding a card to follow is easy (everyone starts on hole 1 of either the east or west course, depending on division). Lead cards generally start late morning. :)

Tournament has started, Paul opens bogey, bogey. I wonder how often he has done that.

What is the "w-06" under start on the PDGA tournament page? Is that West course hole 6?

Like the creative stream. Let's set TIMES that these things are going to be released...6PM after an early round or sometime. Set up some online primetime viewing. If I had a schedule for a Fri-Sat knowing when and where the videos would be posted, I'd be tuned in a good portion of the time.

I don't understand this comment??? When we put out something to YouTube, you can LITERALLY watch it anytime you want. If we start livestreaming at noon, you don't have to watch until 6. And based on our numbers, many people do this.

I get that it isn't edited stuff. But not even the CCDG guys can get something edited that quickly.

Like the creative stream. Let's set TIMES that these things are going to be released...6PM after an early round or sometime. Set up some online primetime viewing. If I had a schedule for a Fri-Sat knowing when and where the videos would be posted, I'd be tuned in a good portion of the time.

Considering most lead cards are starting their rounds around 330-400pm local time, I think this is asking a little much. Most NTs don't do shotgun starts anymore, it's almost exclusively tee time starts.

I don't understand this comment??? When we put out something to YouTube, you can LITERALLY watch it anytime you want. If we start livestreaming at noon, you don't have to watch until 6. And based on our numbers, many people do this.

I get that it isn't edited stuff. But not even the CCDG guys can get something edited that quickly.

The reply was in response to a comment I made about going live to tape instead of live streaming. Relating the example to Smashboxx, my idea would be for you guys to cover it as normal, but record instead of streaming it live to save on data and other production costs. Then once the round is done, or at some other predetermined time, go and air the footage on YouTube. Still the live round feel, like if someone were to access the broadcast after the live stream, just without being aired live.

I'm not even sure this is feasible, but my thinking was that it could not only cut down on production costs, but also draw in the viewers who might be otherwise engaged during a typical live stream time.

We have thought about that idea in the past. But, it doesn't work with 2 camera coverage due to syncing issues. It could work with 1 camera. When you have 2 cameras you need to take the separate files and cut them into 1 feed. And if you are going to do that, might as well just put in all the bells and whistles and put it out on YouTube like the edited guys do. The editing is what takes a lot of time.

Now, I have debated taking the live feed backup recording and cutting THAT show down and putting it out after the round. I think I could get it out like 2 or 3 hours after the round ended. But, the quality would only be as good as the broadcast (720p 4g signal). And it would sound strange cause I would be cutting up the live show, so commentary would be very disjointed. But, it would be relatively quick turn around. I just don't know if it is worth it or not to get it out 6-8 hours before a really nice version from the edited guys is out.

We have thought about that idea in the past. But, it doesn't work with 2 camera coverage due to syncing issues. It could work with 1 camera. When you have 2 cameras you need to take the separate files and cut them into 1 feed. And if you are going to do that, might as well just put in all the bells and whistles and put it out on YouTube like the edited guys do. The editing is what takes a lot of time.

Now, I have debated taking the live feed backup recording and cutting THAT show down and putting it out after the round. I think I could get it out like 2 or 3 hours after the round ended. But, the quality would only be as good as the broadcast (720p 4g signal). And it would sound strange cause I would be cutting up the live show, so commentary would be very disjointed. But, it would be relatively quick turn around. I just don't know if it is worth it or not to get it out 6-8 hours before a really nice version from the edited guys is out.

Thanks for the insight. Didn't realize you couldn't just kind of record the feed, if you will, and put it out later, so that makes sense why you guys haven't gone that route.

Really I was just trying to think of a way to keep costs lower and appeal to the crowd who might want it same day but not during the daytime. Not like you guys haven't thought of this already, I'm sure.

I am always up for suggestions. I think we have thought about almost everything, but eventually someone will blow my mind and I will slap myself for not thinking of it. So every suggestion is welcome.

In fact, for the ProTour I am trying something completely different for the switching computer. So, that is cool on my side. Viewers shouldn't notice a difference.

Boy is #14 on the East course giving FPO a beatdown.

1196ft with a dog leg and tricky lines through trees, it is a legit par 5 for the longest arms in MPO. As a noodle armed am with ok accuracy that hole can officially go to hell.