• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Benefits of bag and straps vs backpack?

_.-Dut-._

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
For those that have used both a bag with straps such as the voodo bags, do they offer any benefits to the backpack styles such as the dualpack and grip bags? Thanks.

I find the backpack style bags ride higher on your back and don't feel like they're pulling you backwards. Also, they've got a little more storage space, which can be useful but can also end up wearing you out with a bunch of stuff you wouldn't carry in a standard bag.

I have a Grip and Voodoo Karma. With the Grip I feel much more fresh and can play more rounds without my back killing me. So comfort goes to the Grip for sure. I can carry waaaaaay more stuff in my Karma bag than the Grip. Karma carries approx 22 discs + 3 putters as to only 16 discs +3 in my Grip. The pocket design in the Karma helps a lot as well. Sub pockets allow you to put much more things in the bag. However the Lat 64 bag is the winner when it comes to storage space for sure.

Looks like the Prodiscus backpack style bag might combine the best of both bags, but that's just based on the pics.

I find the backpack style bags ride higher on your back and don't feel like they're pulling you backwards. Also, they've got a little more storage space, which can be useful but can also end up wearing you out with a bunch of stuff you wouldn't carry in a standard bag.

This is why I use a backpack style bag. I wanted more room and it is a lot more comfortable and feels lighter on the back.

Weight distribution is a big thing to me. Backpacks hold the discs on your back better and hold the weight to where it isnt binding, but comfortable. Backpacks have more space for the little things too, IMO.

Backpack all the way. I've had about 10 different bags...my Grip is the best of them all.

Quality hiking backpacks carry the weight how they do for a reason. Quads are better than a shoulder strap. A good backpack is better than quads.

A bag with straps is very easy to get on & off. Over the course of a round, you pick up & put your bag down maybe 100 times (?) The larger hole of the strap makes it easy to get your arm through & get the bag on your back. You dont have to think about it too much. Once over the shoulder the bag seems to slide down your back into perfect position. The slightly smaller back-pack strap takes a little more effort to get on & then situated on your back.

Only 16 discs fit in a Grip bag ???

One poster says the Grip only holds about 16 discs (plus 3 putters), is this what others are seeing ?

I do not think I could handle carrying only 16 discs, I usually carry 19-20 and also 2 putters.

I've been using a Fade Tourney with quad shocks, and I think I'd relly be happier with a backpack bag, but I'm just not ready to plunk down the cash:

Grips start at two bills.
Revo dual packs are $185.
Simians are somewhere in that ball park.
Mystery Ranch's Golf Mahal is over $250.

I guess the way I have to look at it is, over the first hundred rounds, that's like $2 a round to be a lot more comfortable. After that, it's gravy.

I dunno, guess this cheap bastard's just not ready to pull the trigger.... yet.
And that's the other thing that gets me - I know sooner or later I'm going to.
So why not do it now (not like they're gonna get any cheaper) and get more use out of it?

Last edited:
The only downfall of a backpack bag that I have noticed, is in the summer your entire back is covered and doesn't breath as well as with quad straps. But the other benefits(comfort, capacity) I think outweigh that problem.

A bag with straps is very easy to get on & off. Over the course of a round, you pick up & put your bag down maybe 100 times (?) The larger hole of the strap makes it easy to get your arm through & get the bag on your back. You dont have to think about it too much. Once over the shoulder the bag seems to slide down your back into perfect position. The slightly smaller back-pack strap takes a little more effort to get on & then situated on your back.

Nailed it.

Not into carrying more than about 20 discs, a couple of towels and a bottle. For me, that is a lot of discs but I might use nearly all in a round and I only carry a couple of doubles.

For me, as a regular player (rec, noob I am what ever you say I am) I like the ease of a standard bag and strap AND a minimal handle for moving short distance.

I like a soft bag so that when it is on my hip, the discs can move around to accomidate comfort in shifting, no hard racks or anything to press into my hip or back. I use a Innova Deluxe and a Standard, both are soft and serve me well.

For me, 17 or so discs will do me for drivers, mids, putters, rollers and a couple of specialty discs. Most of my discs, I can use forehand or backhand, that really helps.

Keeping my discs organized and easy to pick out of the bag as well as easy to pick up, carry and put down, that's what I want in a bag.

Using shoulder-strap bag [switch sides a lot, bag settles on back of hip nicely], only disadvantage I see is long hikes to/from the course.

I prefer a bag + quads. The whole backpack style thing just seems awkward to me, personally.

Silverback and phenixs and I'm set.

I have both. I prefer the Grip bag because of how it rides so much higher and doesn't bounce around as much as a bag with quads. I still plan on using my Revo this summer when its hot but other than that I use the grip even on shorter rounds.

Latest posts