• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best Disc for Anhyzer Glide Shot

rmcnulty85

Not sure if I am describing my question well enough in the title, but here is the basic idea:

Out of the box, the whole is directly to your right, 225-275 feet away. You have to play around the trees on a big arcing anhyzer shot to reach it if you throw backhand. There are also trees to the left of the fairway, so you can't swing it out too wide. What disc would you use?

Some possible ideas I have had after looking at some under stable mids would be a meteor, tursas, or wolf perhaps? Feel free to suggest discs, techniques, or ask any questions. Thanks!

A Theory would be great for a shot like this, if you have a decent arm. I would personally throw my Inertia on an anny.

I just picked up a Z Meteor and love it for that kind of shot. Also, if you take a little off of it, it will fly straight as an arrow and glide forever.

Slower mid/putter generally are the choice if ceiling is not limited. Could throw something like an Ion/Aviar/Wizard on an actual anhyzer and let it slowly carry that line all the way to the ground. A understable putter or mid could be hyzer flipped or thrown with some touch on a anhyzer given the stability or speed of the disc you use and how it fly's at your power level. Some people might need a understable driver to hit this line while others use a putter.

The discs you mention could work not sure about a wolf though... Axiom theory would probably be the disc I use on this kind of hole or an Ion. There are endless disc suggestions but really its just a matter of mastering the shot.

I am gonna say Z Comet for a mid, very controllable disc, if you learn it. Tons of glide hidden inside of the Comet!

A Fuse has a lot of glide too, and can be used for that shot as well. I tried one for a bit but I just did not jive with it. Went to the Comet and it went right into the bag!

I know you said "new" but I use my oldest 161 GL River for that shot at longer distances.

For the new fairway, I say a Diamond, this thing only knows right turn if you are RHBH. I got one in a trade in a freak heavier weight ( for a Diamond it was 160+ ). I will admit I only threw it a handful of times, it was too under-stable for my noodle arm.

Seasoned DX Roc
Beat in KC Roc
Panther
Comet

Tried a Meteor for this shot, but it's too power sensitive for me. Not enough and it fights back, too much and it ends up too long. Also tried a Fuse, but the glide is too unpredictable.

If you have the room, a Star Mako works well too

Out of the box X Comet if you have the arm to air it out without over torquing the disc and turning and burning it. The Theory is also good and has a much different feel in the hand being a smaller diameter compact mid. It is probably a bit more torque resistant (read form forgiving) to turning and burning than the Comet. Both of these discs will accomplish this line out of the box. If you need a little more distance, the DD witness or Westside Underworld would be good choices. A Stratus may also fill this slot as a good understable tweener.

Last edited:
You might actually find you get a better line for this shot out of a straight flier than an understable disc. You commit it to the line and it will hold. A disc that turns will require calculating a release angle that will keep it from turning early into the tree line on the right side of the fairway, but you don't want it to stay straight too long and hit the left side trees.

For a lower ceiling, use a bit more mustard on a disc with decent HSS to avoid cut rollers. If you need a higher shot go with the understable option. Whether you use a mid or putter would be up to you/your form/what discs you're familiar and confident with.

Witness or theory depending on distance. I'd have to add a bit of hyzer on the witness, and id throw the theory higher and on a slight anny

You might actually find you get a better line for this shot out of a straight flier than an understable disc. You commit it to the line and it will hold. A disc that turns will require calculating a release angle that will keep it from turning early into the tree line on the right side of the fairway, but you don't want it to stay straight too long and hit the left side trees.

For a lower ceiling, use a bit more mustard on a disc with decent HSS to avoid cut rollers. If you need a higher shot go with the understable option. Whether you use a mid or putter would be up to you/your form/what discs you're familiar and confident with.

This gets my vote for best post so far, and is well-worth the repost.

I know you said "Anhyzer" which means RHBH in this case but...

These are my first two thoughts: Backhand or Forehand?

If Backhand: I'm not a fan of understable discs for this type of line because they are unpredictable, more effected by wind, etc.. something straighter and more neutral like a putter, comet, gauge, seasoned roc or ghost would be a more reliable choice. Then you can just place the disc on the line you want it to fly and it will hold all the way with a soft fade finish to land flat. But thats just me, i prefer a high anny and putting the disc on the line it will glide the entire way instead of letting a disc with a mind of its own turnover and possibly NOT do what i want it to.

If Forehand: Because you said you can't swing it out too wide, maybe a forehand with a higher speed driver would be a better option, with a low line directly at the corner of the turn on a slight hyzer, depending on the surface you might be able to get some big skips all the way to the basket.

Latest posts