• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best disc golf college

well if you're going by the schools level of play from its team here's the rankings.

1 COLORADO STATE
2 SOUTH ALABAMA
3 PURDUE
4 CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-MONTEREY BAY
5 CLEMSON
6 ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE
7 SOUTH CAROLINA
8 WISCONSIN-STEVENS POINT
9 NORTH CAROLINA STATE
10 TEXAS STATE
11 GEORGIA
12 TENNESSEE TECH
13 MISSISSIPPI STATE
14 IOWA STATE
15 MURRAY STATE
16 GEORGIA TECH
17 OREGON
18 APPALACHIAN STATE
19 AUGUSTA STATE
20 ARKANSAS
21 KANSAS
22 HUMBOLDT STATE
23 EAST TENNESSEE STATE
24 INDIAN HILLS CC
25 ALABAMA

Two solid courses within 1 mile of campus, 1 of which was used for the 2004 Worlds. The hotbed of courses in Des Moines is only 30-45 minutes away.

I played the course at Tuscaloosa (Alabama). Great course! I gotta play some at Huntsville. If I had my druthers, I would try for Monterey Bay! But that's just cause it beautiful out there!

Well...

I know I'm being a homer but NC State is the place to be. Top 10 team, 8 courses with a 3 disc rating or higher within 25 miles, a Houck championship level course almost complete, there's like 5 more courses in the works as of now, great private courses in the area, it's in NC which is well known for it's disc golf, Charlotte is 3 hours away when you want to make a trip, and wolfpack red is the best damn color to wear.

The Houck course is at least 40 mins from NC St. Maybe more with a Carolina Brewery stop. All the courses close by are mediocre. We have some decent local courses, but nothing great. And UNC's campus course is much better than NC State's. :eek: :p:popcorn:

Go to UWSP (#8 on the list above) and be an Ace Hole! No course on campus, but Yulga is a sweet course that's an easy bike ride on the Green Circle Trail away. Couple of nine-holers a mile or two from campus, and 33 holes of Standing Rocks goodness 15 minutes away by car.

A little bias but gotta throw in some votes for both CSU Monterey Bay (I was a former student) and Northern Arizona (current residence of one of my best friends) - nice venues both on the premises and near campus.

Go to UWSP (#8 on the list above) and be an Ace Hole! No course on campus, but Yulga is a sweet course that's an easy bike ride on the Green Circle Trail away. Couple of nine-holers a mile or two from campus, and 33 holes of Standing Rocks goodness 15 minutes away by car.

Don't forget Big Eau Pleine. I made sure to get up there once every Spring and Fall while I was at Point.

There's also two or three practice baskets around the dorms.

Don't forget Big Eau Pleine. I made sure to get up there once every Spring and Fall while I was at Point.

There's also two or three practice baskets around the dorms.

When did they add the practice baskets around the dorms? That's cool.

Also forgot that UWSP also has a course (Treehaven) developed by the Ace Holes on their field research station property about 1.5 hours north of campus. Haven't played it myself, but have heard good things about it.

It sounds like the OP wants to know which colleges might be the best to attend for a DG'r, insofar as quality courses nearby,etc. Maybe not so much which schools have the best teams. Correct me if i'm wrong, OP.

I'm guessing OP wasn't asking about college ranked teams, rather about which schools are near courses/stores....

UCSC and CSU Monterey Bay are good choices, lots of courses in that area with SF (and the rest of the Bay Area) a short drive away. CSU Humboldt has a bunch of courses near as well. CSU Sacramento has Grass Valley and Tahoe close by which is nice for both summer and winter sports (if you ski/board).

Not based on reviews of play-ability, both Monterey and Santa Cruz have 8 courses (listed) within a 15+/- mile radius. Since the areas are basically next to each other, you are looking at 15+ (listed) courses in the immediate area.

I stuck to CA since that's what I know…

Another vote for Northern Arizona University. McPherson, Thorpe, and the NAU course, are all 18 holes and amazing. I've never played Snowball but that's supposed to be awesome also.

Colorado Heights University DGC anybody? Not far from all the awesome courses up in the mountains; Phantom, Beaver, Bailey, and a few awesome private ones.

The Houck course is at least 40 mins from NC St. Maybe more with a Carolina Brewery stop. All the courses close by are mediocre. We have some decent local courses, but nothing great. And UNC's campus course is much better than NC State's. :eek: :p:popcorn:

Yea the courses here a bit spread out but most are in a 30 min drive of campus, and so what the Houck course is a 40 min drive... I drive farther than that to play most of the courses in the area. Despite what you want to say about our mediocre courses the Triangle is one of the best places to live for disc golf in the country.

... and who cares if UNC's course is better, there disc golf team isn't even ranked...

like their basketball team...

UNC Charlotte is building a team and the amount of courses and quality near the campus has to be way up there.

It seems the question should be limited to on-campus courses, or courses very close to campus, unless playing for the school team is a concern. Once you expand to courses within 10 miles or 30 miles or 60 miles, you might as well re-open the question of "what's the best disc golf city?"---because whatever city you deem best, is bound to have a college.

IMO if you pick a college based on the local courses, or its disc golf team, the rest of your college career might not go so well. Seems like it should be pretty far down the list of things that are important in picking a college.

I am going to make a case for Colorado State because I am a Colorado Native and can speak truth about how awesome Colorado as a state really is. As per the qualifications of nearby courses and a good disc shop, CSU is easily one of the best. Bill Wright, who runs Wright Life, a shop that has Disc Sports as one of its primary focuses, has done so much for the sport of Disc Golf. There is an amazing course at Edora Park in town, which will solely host this years Colroado State Disc Golf Championships. You can also make a 45 minute drive or less and end up at a number of other courses that have or will one day host the Colorado State Championships.

That being said, I also believe that Colorado State hit the jackpot last year at the College National Championships. It is not everday you have two guys on your team that put off turning pro just so they can play in the College National Championships, plus two more guys who are top ametures in the state. That does mean that the top two CSU guys will not be back this year and CSU will be relying on younger talent to carry the team.

IMO if you pick a college based on the local courses, or its disc golf team, the rest of your college career might not go so well. Seems like it should be pretty far down the list of things that are important in picking a college.

Having payed for two kids college degrees, I know for a fact that a student that's happy with where they're at are better students and are more likely to graduate. If you're and avid disc golfer, you'll want to have the opportunity to play a quick round when you can. College is a grind, so physical activity is crucial to balance the mental discipline needed to succeed.

There are a lot of colleges. Go where you want to LIVE for the next 5 years.

That being said, I also believe that Colorado State hit the jackpot last year at the College National Championships. It is not everday you have two guys on your team that put off turning pro just so they can play in the College National Championships, plus two more guys who are top ametures in the state. That does mean that the top two CSU guys will not be back this year and CSU will be relying on younger talent to carry the team.

You can be a pro and still play at NCDGC and other collegiate disc golf events. Only touring pros are ineligible to participate.

NCDGC eligibility

I vote for CSU Monterey Bay, but I'm a little biased being an alumni of the school and disc golf team.. We have two courses right on campus (Cypress and Oaks) another great course within 10 minutes (Ryan Ranch). De Laveaga is about 40 minutes away.