• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best disc golf podcast and why

Favorite disc golf podcast

• SmashBoxx

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Disc Golf Answer Man

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Zen Disc Golf

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters
Great poll.

First time I'm hearing of Final Round. Sounds good. I'll def give them a whirl.

As for the rest of them, it's Smashboxx by a mile. They have the most experience, resources, reps, heart of the lot. I like Terry's classic Midwestern folksiness/innocence - it's perfect for being an on-air talent. And who works harder than Terry? My lord, the hours that poor guy keeps. And he does it (for the most part) with a smile on his face - something I'd have a tough time doing. Only complaint is that once in a while, when off-course disc golf news breaks, he teases and then withholds really juicy editorial content, which is a big no-no in broadcasting. Not a big fan of that. I totally understand if a host doesn't think it's appropriate to dish dirt on a particular subject (whether the subject makes him uncomfortable, or there is a legal reason he doesn't want to talk, or a journalistic reason he doesn't want to talk - like jeopardizing his own credibility or his ability to book guests.) All I ask is for the host to not dangle a juicy teaser in front of the listener, who has no idea what's being teased, and then just drop ithe subject and move on to review a new bag or something. Listeners tune in for content. And when a broadcaster implicitly promises content and then leaves the listener hanging, that's no good. Again, I totally understand if a host doesn't want to talk about a particular subject, FOR ANY REASON. That is their right. Just don't tease your audience and then leave them hanging.

Love Bobby Brown as on air talent. But the podcast is way down on his list of jobs and it shows. Their editorial focus is 100% Trilogy too. No guests, just the same questions from beginners about how to get more distance off the tee, etc. The DGAM show really grinds to a halt when Bobby tries his best to live-read a badly written question about technique and then hearing EMac roll his eyes as he tries gamely to instruct the question writer on a specific physical technique through an AUDIO RECORDING. For the life of me, I can't figure out how anyone gets any useful technical instruction over a podcast, with zero visual assistance. It's tough enough to learn from a live instructor. Of course, that's all fine, it's a free country, they can do any kind of podcast they want. I actually appreciate that they don't pretend their podcast is anything other than what it is - a Trilogy sales/marketing tool.

I also like listening to EMac because he's a cranky old vet and I love it when he complains about various behaviors on the course - mostly drinking, smoking, etc. He's a real finger-wagging schoolmarm - I love those.

I also have to say that I miss DGTR & Steve Huebner. He had a unique on-air personality, great pipes and I enjoyed it when he teamed up with Terry for interviews. He had a good show.

Once you step inside the Smashboxx, there's nothing else you want to watch.

I voted, but I MAAAAAY be a bit biased.

I completely understand the qualms about the length of the podcast. But, I say download it using whatever podcasting app you may have, I recommend Pocket Casts. Then break it up into 3 or 4 days of listening. And listen at a higher speed. Trust me, you get used to it. I never thought we would be able to fill up 2 to 3 hours a week. We mainly started because we wanted something to do during the winter. And figured we may not do it in the Summer with the broadcasts. But we just keep on going.

I can't listen to any other DG podcasts, I tried. I don't want to skew my perspective on what I think or say. But, I do download them to help out with their numbers.

I have been listening to podcasts for a few years. A few suggestions (non DG, and mostly geek themed)...
We Have Concerns
Daily Tech News Show
Weird Things
The Morning Stream
Cord Killers
Night Attack
East Meets West
Current Geek

I completely understand the qualms about the length of the podcast.

You're being charitable, JV.

Unless a person is listening to Smashboxx on a player without a pause, stop or delete button and that person has no ability to use Pocket Casts or if that person doesn't like listening to the show at all, for any length of time, I don't understand at all how that person can have a beef about the length of your show. If a person thinks the show is going too long, stop listening.

As for a person who likes the show who thinks it's too long - don't you want endless supplies of things you like? Wouldn't you want more episodes of GoT? Ever read a long book and wish it wouldn't end? Ever been to a concert that you love and get pissed when it ends? That's why Stern used to be on the radio 5-6 every day of the week. That's why Fear The Walking Dead destroyed cable series debut ratings records on Sunday. Demand. I, for one, wish there was more Smashboxx.

I actually appreciate that they don't pretend their podcast is anything other than what it is - a Trilogy sales/marketing tool.

Also, to be fair, I forgot my favorite recurring segment of DGAM, Disc Mind Body. DMB is easily the best part of DGAM. It's always insightful and succinct. I'd listen to a whole show with just that guy.

SmashBoxx is destroying the field. I guess I'll have to buckle down and try to listen to a full episode again. I just have a short attention span and already have a couple of short, daily podcasts that I listen to. Two and a half hours is about 3 days of commutes. Big commitment. But yeah, it's disc golf and it's apparently the best podcast about my favorite subject, so I shouldn't complain.

There's only been one episode so far, but the /r/discgolf podcast did secure McBeth's first interview post worlds ... so that's pretty neat.

I gotta give credit to Disc golf answer man podcast for having a former world champion Eric McCabe to answer questions and give a professional point of view. It can be a big difference vs. the other average joes podcasters.

But I like most all that I hear, they all have something to offer and redeemable value. I'm not gonna vote, they're all cool with me.

I also have to say that I miss DGTR & Steve Huebner. He had a unique on-air personality, great pipes and I enjoyed it when he teamed up with Terry for interviews. He had a good show.

Well thanks! I have to admit I miss doing it but since terry is doing his own thing I decided to back down. You never know though maybe one of these days I just might get a wild hair and do it again. I think what I miss is the questions that you guys asked. That to me made it worth doing because you guys always came up with good insightful questions for the most part. All the original podcasts are still there and can downloaded and most should still be relevant for the most part.

We're working on that. Hopefully for the next one.

I listened to your first podcast on YT Ian, really enjoyed it. I'll strongly second getting this on ITunes so it will be easily dl'ed to mobile. I listen to a lot of podcasts (non-dg) and would enjoy having you guys in the mix as I enjoy your vid commentary. My feedback: limit it to 2 people, 3 max speaking plus guests, and always try to make the audio better. A main thing holding back many podcasts is audio quality. Any time you can not have someone on a phone line it's better.

I didn't think their were many options besides smash.

Maybe I need to keep up with this thread.

Thanks for the tip on Final Round Radio. That's a good one, with a totally different vibe than DGAM and SmashBoxx. Final Round is like a disc golf version of Real Time with Bill Maher, held at a pro shop/bar, beer on tap.

Does anyone enjoy listening to/watching the Disc Golf Guy? I only saw him once, where he somehow got to film the pros doing a casual round at Blue Lake a few days before Worlds, and I wanted to strangle him. So did McBeth. Who wants a dude chasing them around with a camera asking stupid questions? I get it's part of being a pro, but that goes both ways. The interviewer/videographer should act professional too, rather than:

"Hey Paul! He crushed that. Do you think you can throw like that?" "Hey Paul. You totally crushed that too! Was that the line you wanted?" "Hey Paul. Remember when I said I'd give you something if you birdied every hole? You didn't birdie every hole Paul. But guess what Paul? I'll still give you something if you birdie the last six holes. What do you think Paul?" "Hey Paul. I got a pudding cup. You want a pudding cup Paul? Cuz I got the last one. Yeah. Bet you wish you had a pudding cup Paul." Dude sounded like a two year old on Halloween. But maybe he was just excited that it was Worlds and he got to follow Climo and McBeth around a massive course. So I'm honestly wondering if he does better work. Just can't bring myself to find out firsthand...

Does anyone enjoy listening to/watching the Disc Golf Guy? I only saw him once, where he somehow got to film the pros doing a casual round at Blue Lake a few days before Worlds, and I wanted to strangle him. So did McBeth. Who wants a dude chasing them around with a camera asking stupid questions? I get it's part of being a pro, but that goes both ways. The interviewer/videographer should act professional too, rather than:

"Hey Paul! He crushed that. Do you think you can throw like that?" "Hey Paul. You totally crushed that too! Was that the line you wanted?" "Hey Paul. Remember when I said I'd give you something if you birdied every hole? You didn't birdie every hole Paul. But guess what Paul? I'll still give you something if you birdie the last six holes. What do you think Paul?" "Hey Paul. I got a pudding cup. You want a pudding cup Paul? Cuz I got the last one. Yeah. Bet you wish you had a pudding cup Paul." Dude sounded like a two year old on Halloween. But maybe he was just excited that it was Worlds and he got to follow Climo and McBeth around a massive course. So I'm honestly wondering if he does better work. Just can't bring myself to find out firsthand...

I guess you didn't listen to last week's podcast. Paul was on there for over an hour. Didn't really sound like he wanted to kill Terry.

Seriously speaking, Terry is by far the best disc golf broadcaster out there. And any pro who's serious about building their profile knows that what Terry is doing benefits that idea quite a lot.

I listened to your first podcast on YT Ian, really enjoyed it. I'll strongly second getting this on ITunes so it will be easily dl'ed to mobile. I listen to a lot of podcasts (non-dg) and would enjoy having you guys in the mix as I enjoy your vid commentary. My feedback: limit it to 2 people, 3 max speaking plus guests, and always try to make the audio better. A main thing holding back many podcasts is audio quality. Any time you can not have someone on a phone line it's better.

Thanks man!

I definitely agree on the audio mixing. I'll do some premixing before I send it out next time. As for cell phones, agree there too. With Paul is was that or nothing though, so we went with that option. He had no data coverage.

I thought 4 was good. Me to be ramble, anthony to produce, alex for awesome one liners, and Eric for form stuff, and random quips.

I'll for sure work on getting it to an easier downloadable place. You can download it on the desktop version of soundcloud right now though.

Latest posts