• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best Dual Threat (BH&FH) Midrange?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
There's a lot of discussion on drivers that work well for backhand and forehand (i.e. OLF, PD, Eagle, Force, etc) and putters (i.e. Zone, Envy, etc) but it doesn't seem very fashionable to have one midrange mold for both go-to backhands and sidearms. Why is that? Are there any?

Quick skimming pulled up a lot of Verdict recommendations for FH, a few Quake and Justice suggestions also. Quakes and Justices can be a bit too OS for workhorse duty for most people (not named Moose) but the Verdict is a good example of a stable mid that is solid for BH but also comfy and torque-proof enough for a decent FH. What says DGCR?

Truth for me, recently replaced with the Reactor. Low profile fits my forehand grip nicely, and a nice balance of stability and workability. Verdict is also legit, I just prefer a less beefy midrange. Buzzz also works nicely both ways.

I'm gonna go with what works for me. AGL Magnolia and the Buzzz. Both are capable of 200'+ FHs without turning and burning for me and can go over 300' BH. Not to mention both can be obtained in lower end plastics to cover more shots.

Wide diameter (highest moment of inertia disc type) is often too hard to generate the spin on FH. That would eliminate those for all but the most capable FH players. Wide diameter has benefits for BH which is why most all players will find have one (higher weight = more distance + similar control to putters, BH grip creates more RPM which keep the mid straighter for longer).

Eagle with the MD3 and Jerm with the MD2 are two FH & BH examples I've seen more often at the touring pro level use wide diameter for a variety of shots (they both carry a more OS mid for majority FH duty. Likely some others out there but generally only see these in the woods.

I see some recent approved molds in the 176-178g max weight ranges, maybe some of those that are beadless/microbeaded and flat would be most capable. Mint Mustang, MVP Reactor, Discraft Malta, Axiom Pyro

An ideal bh/fh workhorse mid, to me, is fairly shallow, beadless or with a microbead, torque-resistant, flat-ish and not super over- or understable.

Caiman, Kaxe and Reactor are the best I've thrown, from more overstable to straighter.

I use a quake for this but definitely understand why some people wouldn't want to, they tend to have a hefty fade when new. I find them to have a zone type flight at buzzz speed (ie much more mild than a drone)

I've found the aftershock to be pretty good as a forehand midrange. Has enough stability to hyzer flip to fade, but can get a little sketchy if my release isn't feeling good. I'll admit I don't use traditional midranges much throwing forehands, they get used more for warm up throws to smooth things out than they do on the course.

Wide diameter (highest moment of inertia disc type) is often too hard to generate the spin on FH. That would eliminate those for all but the most capable FH players. Wide diameter has benefits for BH which is why most all players will find have one (higher weight = more distance + similar control to putters, BH grip creates more RPM which keep the mid straighter for longer).

Eagle with the MD3 and Jerm with the MD2 are two FH & BH examples I've seen more often at the touring pro level use wide diameter for a variety of shots (they both carry a more OS mid for majority FH duty. Likely some others out there but generally only see these in the woods.

I see some recent approved molds in the 176-178g max weight ranges, maybe some of those that are beadless/microbeaded and flat would be most capable. Mint Mustang, MVP Reactor, Discraft Malta, Axiom Pyro

That's great information! I've been playing around with a Rift and it flies pretty well BH but I can't get it to fly at all FH and this might explain why. I actually have better luck with my beat up Cobra! I was planning on trying out my Emac truth again as my workhorse mold but it might be too wide diameter for my FH skill level

The new Axiom Hex is working out better for forehands than my Buzzz and I attribute that to grip difference and being a touch smaller diameter. It's a slightly less stable than a Buzzz, but not understable while new. So far it's been a fantastic addition to the bag.

Best IMO are Bard, Gila and Pyro. I use the Justice a lot FH and backhand maybe because there are so many left fading doglegs in the ATL area, but it seems more like a FH disc for most people.

A flat fossil Gila is pretty hard to beat as your do it all mid though.

To all you people saying Buzzz…I don't believe you lol. I cannot get a flight that is consistent and useable from a buzzz forehand.

... Pyro.

How did I forget this? I guess I use it like a driver so much that I don't consider it in my mid slot. Surprising glide and straight flight for something that has so much finish and can contend with wind so well. Has a freakish ability to get out of rough spots when put down on a forehand roller.

With my garbage forehand there is no way I could get one mid to do double duty for FH and BH. Well, unless I didn't mind the BH shot being fairly overstable. Closest thing might be a Wasp for me. Very Buzzz-like on a BH and I can half a** sort of forehand it if I have to.

Latest posts