• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best NC courses not Charlotte Area

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I know its sacrilege and alienates 90% of the dgcr members from NC but I'd like to know what are the best/top courses not in the Queen City Region. A top 10 would be nice maybe include some homegrowns....anything but the same old Charlotte Drivel we always hear.....I'm heading down to NC again and will hit Charlotte (I'm curious bout RL Smith and Bradford and want another crack at the biggies but would like to hit the less talked about gems from coast to mountains.

fox chase in albemarle, lake reidsville in reidsville, zebulon dgc in zebulon, buckhorn at harris lake in new hill, castle hayne just outside wilmington, barnet park in kinston, sugaree (pm Mando), ashe county. to name a few. a lot of the homegrowns are intentionally off of this site

when you coming? you should wait until Houck's Rock Ridge is done in Pittsboro. Swingin DBs is right down the road from there as well but I'm not sure if the redesign is completed yet. the DBs tourney is in 3 weeks so I could tell you for sure by then what the deal is with that one. you'd probably enjoy DBs it can be an ******* of a course kinda like Nevin.

i would start by hitting up Mando and asking about Bear Tree in his area. i'm not sure if you'll actually go to the beach because it's kinda out of the way for just the few good courses out there but Glenburnie in New Bern is good from what i hear; then Castle Hayne is a must if you go down that way. beyond all else outside of charlotte and the mountains i recommend Castle Hayne, i think you'd appreciate it.

Rockness and Sasquatch are a good combo in Roxboro which is an hourish north of the Durham area. then in the Raleigh neck of the woods I'd Buckhorn, UNC, Zebulon, Valley, Leigh Farm, Cedar Hills in that order. then on the road between west NC and raleigh if you come i'd make sure to stop at cedarock/wellspring.

visiting family in Jacksonville sometime so Castle Hayne for sure....I'm curious about swinging dbs and fox chase and of course ashe county etc

yea i'll ask the guy running DBs what the deal is with that and if you come this way i'll take you out there if it's ready to go.

you know when about you're coming?

Sugaree, Bear Tree, and Ashe County would be three awesome courses in the general direction of Boone. Also Highland Hills and Glen Hilton aren't too far from those three. Bear Tree can be tough to get into and is a bit of a hike as is Ashe County, and Highland Hills for that matter.

I would check with Robert Leonard aka _MTL_
He's apparently pretty much the expert on disc golf in NC, and from what he says, he himself designed the best course in NC, a temporary called Forest Hills.

I don't have a broad knowledge of N.C. courses, but Ashe County and Sugaree have to be among the top. They'd be among the top, anywhere. They don't even need the "outside of Charlotte area" qualifier.

Hey Opti, if you're coming to NC, you can now bring the disc to swap for the one I mailed up your way several months ago.

In order of preference, Sugaree, Fox Chase and High Country are my votes for best to play.

Is Stumpy Creek considered a Charlotte course? I have heard good things about that course.

Played Fox Chase last week for the first time. Pretty fun course. My only negative about it is that it doesn't drain well in some places.

Is Stumpy Creek considered a Charlotte course? I have heard good things about that course.

It's not a CDGC run course, so technically, it's not a Charlotte course. That's why it wasn't part of the 2012 Worlds. In all practicality,though, if you live on the north side of town, it's closer than Winget or Elon. That's also why it gets lost in the shuffle in terms of great courses in the Charlotte area.

Last edited:
Only bad thing about Lake's Edge is 2 holes(14 & 15). It seems like they put in the course and realized that they were 2 holes short and crammed those two in.

Best courses in Eastern NC (since you are going to be there)
Castle Hayne
Glenburnie in New Bern (PDGA event there this weekend, so sure to be in top shape - IMHO, this is the most underated course in NC).
Barnet Park in Kinston
West Meadowbrook in Greenville

Zebulon is a great course and is on the eastern tip of the central part of the state.

Best courses in Eastern NC (since you are going to be there)
Castle Hayne
Glenburnie in New Bern (PDGA event there this weekend, so sure to be in top shape - IMHO, this is the most underated course in NC).
Barnet Park in Kinston
West Meadowbrook in Greenville

Zebulon is a great course and is on the edge of civilization.

you can say it. I grew up in eastern NC we know we're in the sticks.

Opti you're going to be in Jacksonville? yeah what MTL said is your best bet. J'ville is out there but it's right smack in the middle of the courses listed.

How long you gonna be in town?

If you come through Boone area to play Ashe Co or Sugaree, I can take you out to Black Jack. (Private course in Valle Crucis)

22 holes, some of the most magnificent views of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It is a great course, equal to the above mentioned two.

Latest posts