• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte NC courses for beginners

Nikster

I'm visiting a friend that just moved to Charlotte, NC (northwest side). I've only been playing about 6 months, she's even newer. I know there are TONS of courses around that area. I'm looking for recommendations on courses that would suit our skill, as we'll have limited time and don't want to waste it on overly difficult courses. We're both new-ish and female, so we don't have big distance. We're looking for courses that are beginner-friendly, but not hopefully not boring wide-open park courses with no trees / obstacles at all. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Or you can Kik me nikki_sofine

Bailey Road and River Street Park are probably the best beginner courses on that side of town. Although not a beginner course, Hornet's Nest is still fun even for beginners. RenSke is another beginner course that might not be too far, but I'm not a fan, personally.

Bailey Road and River Street Park are probably the best beginner courses on that side of town. Although not a beginner course, Hornet's Nest is still fun even for beginners. RenSke is another beginner course that might not be too far, but I'm not a fan, personally.

Forgot all about Bailey Road. That's probably even better for someone that's just starting out.

I'll 2nd Bailey, and I thought Sugaw Creek was pretty good for beginners as well.

I haven't been to Bailey in years, but there was some pretty bad rough (tall thorny bushes) on several holes, not far off the fairway. But yeah, it's your best option nearby.

Elon Eager Beaver is perfect for what you describe, but it's forever from the northwest side.....depending on how far northwest.

The best beginner friendly course is Winget, IMO. Most the holes are under 300' and the lines aren't super tight, but you still have to work gaps and shape lines. Lookout Park in Tega Cay is an OK 9 hole course tucked away in a nice neighborhood that's not too far from Winget.

Renske and Eager Beaver are both pretty solid. Eager is more broken in, much less rough to deal with. Renske has a few spots where a shanked drive can have you searching. Eager is my #2 pick for you two.

Sugaw and Reedy Creek are along the same lines as Winget. Short, beginner friendly holes but you'll still have to hit gaps and shape lines. Both of these are pretty close to where you'll be. Reedy is more interesting IMO, and has the distinction of being Charlottes oldest course.

Mint Hill is a fun 9 hole course that makes good use of elevation, but it's a bit out of the way if you don't plan on playing Scrapyard as well. Scrap is a more difficult course than I think you're after.

Rescue Squad Park is a really fun 9 hole course with lots of interesting elevation in play. This is worth checking out and playing twice, it's really good.

If you feel like going for some ace runs you can check out Pinewood Elementary, Warlick Academy, Lowell Elementary and Springfield Elementary, though all of these are very short, very open and pretty boring aside from the chance of acing.

Lastly, Crooked Creek Crossing, while out of your way on the SE side, would make for an enjoyable round for you two.

If you search for any of these courses on www.youtube.com/thediscgolfvids you'll find videos of them all.

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend trying out the Charlotte DGC Women's League (they are on facebook but the club's website is temporarily down). They play RenSke on Mondays with a 5:30 signup and 6:00 start.

And Bailey Road is the best course for new players on the North side.

Elon Eager Beaver would be really fun and challenging.
I haven't played RenSke yet, but check the reviews and pictures to see if it might be a good fit for y'all.
If you don't mind driving a little bit, just over the SC border, Fewell Park in Rock Hill SC would be an enjoyable round.

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend trying out the Charlotte DGC Women's League (they are on facebook but the club's website is temporarily down). They play RenSke on Mondays with a 5:30 signup and 6:00 start.

This is probably your best option and you'll make contact with several other of the Charlotte gals who can give you advice on where else to play based on your observed skills. They have fun no matter what. Advice (courses, throwing form, etc.) from other gals might be more meaningful for y'all.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd recommend Sugaw to new/female players. Not the best neighborhood...

Mint Hill is the best park for this situation.
Relatively short, lots of variety, elevation, not too punishing, not too easy.
The park is always busy with joggers, families, walkers and casual discers, and it's in a nice park.
Just about the whole park is visible to the walking trail or the road, so two females would not feel nervous about their surroundings.
With a nine-hole loop, the hole transitions are very short and it's a fast interesting play for newbies.
I can't think of anyplace better in Charlotte.

Mint Hill is the best park for this situation.
Relatively short, lots of variety, elevation, not too punishing, not too easy.
The park is always busy with joggers, families, walkers and casual discers, and it's in a nice park.
Just about the whole park is visible to the walking trail or the road, so two females would not feel nervous about their surroundings.
With a nine-hole loop, the hole transitions are very short and it's a fast interesting play for newbies.
I can't think of anyplace better in Charlotte.

Mike C needs 6 putters for this. Do you agree to this amount?!

I learned to play at Mint Hill Park. It's just hard enough to keep me coming back, 5 years later. 2 of my 3 aces are on hole 2. I'd call it a very safe park, they have security guards that routinely make rounds there, including on the course itself. Sugaw scares me, sometimes, even as a large man. I have been followed by a beggar homeless man a time or two. Sometimes they sleep on the benches, just feet from the teepads.

I learned to play at Mint Hill Park. It's just hard enough to keep me coming back, 5 years later. 2 of my 3 aces are on hole 2. I'd call it a very safe park, they have security guards that routinely make rounds there, including on the course itself. Sugaw scares me, sometimes, even as a large man. I have been followed by a beggar homeless man a time or two. Sometimes they sleep on the benches, just feet from the teepads.

Same here.
Spent 4 months on company assignment at our plant in Midland and played Mint Hill hundreds of times. Also got to play all the other courses around Charlotte (in 2008) and Sugaw is the one that scared me the most. Lost a disc in the woods and found someone's "nest". Sobering moment that I haven't forgotten.

Mint Hill is VERY underrated. NOT a championship course, but definitely a newbie-friendly experience.

I haven't been to Bailey in years, but there was some pretty bad rough (tall thorny bushes) on several holes, not far off the fairway. But yeah, it's your best option nearby.

Elon Eager Beaver is perfect for what you describe, but it's forever from the northwest side.....depending on how far northwest.

Not so anymore