• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best Overstable Midranges You've Thrown

rar6nm

What is the best overstable midrange y'all have thrown?

I ask this because I've given roc's a shot, but I can't throw them to save my life and I attest that to its bead. I've never been able to throw a beaded disc well, so I try and stay away from them. I love overstable midranges for a majority of my approach shots as well as off the tee. I want to give Q-Sentinel's a shot, anyone have anything to say about those?
This is how I rank the ones I've thrown:
1) M1 - Great plastic gives a great feeling and was always very predictable until I lost it
2) Z Drone - Almost a little too overstable to be useful, but great for spike shots and very sweepy forehands
3) Roc3 - Very grippy, but I didn't get the chance to throw it all that much before I lost it
4) Z Nebula - Plastic had the worst grip and was never that predictable. Couldn't handle forehand at all
5) Roc - Can't throw beaded midranges

Get another M1 and a Pro D Drone. The M1 you already love, and the D Drone will beat into something more workable than the Z.

MVP's Tensor is also a very workable OS midrange, but not as long as the Drone.

I recently took the Vector out of my bag because there was to much overlap in distance between my zones and banshees and it wasn't as overstable as either. That being said, if the Drone was "Almost a little too overstable to be useful" for you, you might want to give the vector a try.

I'm a big fan of the zone.

Last edited:
The Vector has a bead, the Tensor does not...I don't think. (I don't care about beads so I may not have noticed it on the Tensor, but I'm pretty sure it's beadless)

The Suspect has pretty much taken over all my OS mid duties. I used to throw Zones and I like them probably equally...but they overlapped for me.

I have heard some pretty disappointing things about MVP, particularly about their durability. It doesn't take a whole lot of tree hits before it breaks in too much. I don't know if it's how I'm throwing them or what, but beaded discs have never gotten along with me that much. I want to give the Sentinel a shot because I've heard that it's a Zone-Drone in-between

You might try a hornet., it wouldn' t as overstable as a drone. It does have a very small bead, but I don't think that it's very noticeable.

I have heard some pretty disappointing things about MVP, particularly about their durability. It doesn't take a whole lot of tree hits before it breaks in too much. I don't know if it's how I'm throwing them or what, but beaded discs have never gotten along with me that much. I want to give the Sentinel a shot because I've heard that it's a Zone-Drone in-between

Not sure where you have heard that. I have 1st run Axis that still looks good after thousands of tree hits...

I throw a nice USDGC Champion Roc for my OS Mid. A little pricey, but you can find a new one for $40ish if you look hard enough, which isn't too bad.

I got stuck on the shark3. No real reason, just did. Tried roc, roc3, hornet, wasp, m3, mace, warship, drone, zone (ok, like the zone but its a very os tweener).

I vote for da wasp

I love using the stability for shaping around trees on shorter throws, can throw it hard and not worry about it turning over , and it goes super straight on approaches into the wind. It also works well when thrown on a high, steep, anny line. It will make the turn, then stability brings it back to flat and glides out to the right. If I had to pick just one mid, it would prolly be my wasp. Some people say similar to a roc. Haven't thrown a roc so don't know. Does have a bead...... 170 z ,me like

I was using a first run flx drone. I am trying out a suspect now and am really digging it. Just as workable as the drone but it has a lower profile for easier flick approaches and for now seems like it has less glide so it has been easier to range.

The Tensor does have a bead (just checked), so I guess that's out. Don't ever worry about durability with MVP though. Whoever told you they're not durable was mistaken.

If you don't want to get another M1, or Drone, then I'll echo the Hornet recommendation.

my friend just got a m1 and has loved it as it has nice turn back at the end.. i just recently got a mvp vector eclipse and it has been a nice OS mid but not too OS.. so i was looking for a pretty strong OS disc and i ended up ordering a glo flx limited edition drone for 8 bucks on ebay and should be here by next wednesday when my next tournament will be.. looking forward to try it out and add it to the bag!

I'll have to check out the hornet. I know a friend who has one so I'm going to ask him if I can use it for a round or two. I just ordered a Q-Quasar for my overly flippy destroyers (got quite a lot of use out of them), a Q-Sentinel as a backup, and a 177 M1. I've liked the feeling of FLX plastic, I might give that a shot for the Drone to see if that makes it feel a bit better in the hand

SHARK3 You will not be disappointed. Extremely torque resistant. Flies straight as a string with a healthy fade at the end. Seriously underrated disc.

Latest posts