• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Player Without A Major Win

Sounds like there really is no clear definition of a disc golf major, as there is in golf and tennis.

And is the Australian Open really worthy of the Grand Slam inclusion? Obviously, back in the day it was... but the Aussies have needed a renaissance of sorts for a few decades to be considered "majorly" relevant.

Just some thoughts on tennis. Now back you your regularly scheduled program.

Mike Randolph. I believe he has 9 top 10 finishes at Worlds and a couple of near misses at USDGC. If he would play masters worlds he could win it. Probably with barely practicing.

Sounds like there really is no clear definition of a disc golf major, as there is in golf and tennis.

Of course there is. Just because some people don't agree with how majors are designated by the PDGA doesn't mean we don't have a definition for it.

I get that people want disc golf to have clear-cut, time-tested majors like other sports, but relative to them we're still in our infancy. So majors have to be manufactured and assigned rather than "earned" (even our long running majors were majors from birth). Some of those attempts fell by the wayside for one reason or another...I'd say mainly organizers burning themselves out by doing too much too fast. But I think we've got a decent framework for majors (MPO/FPO specific): USDGC/USWDGC, Worlds, a European Major (which seems to want to rotate), and an Australasia Major (which also seems destined to rotate).

Of course there is. Just because some people don't agree with how majors are designated by the PDGA doesn't mean we don't have a definition for it.

I get that people want disc golf to have clear-cut, time-tested majors like other sports, but relative to them we're still in our infancy. So majors have to be manufactured and assigned rather than "earned" (even our long running majors were majors from birth). Some of those attempts fell by the wayside for one reason or another...I'd say mainly organizers burning themselves out by doing too much too fast. But I think we've got a decent framework for majors (MPO/FPO specific): USDGC/USWDGC, Worlds, a European Major (which seems to want to rotate), and an Australasia Major (which also seems destined to rotate).

It isn't a desire to have time tested majors, its about having majors represent the highest quality of competition. It doesn't bother me that the Japan Open isn't consistently on the calendar, its that it is called a major when it had 1/4 of the depth of competition as even a DGPT event.

Jenkins winning the 2001 Japan open with 5 1000 rated players in the field and 54 Open players total is not a major championship. I don't care what letter the PDGA puts in front of it.

It isn't a desire to have time tested majors, its about having majors represent the highest quality of competition. It doesn't bother me that the Japan Open isn't consistently on the calendar, its that it is called a major when it had 1/4 of the depth of competition as even a DGPT event.

Jenkins winning the 2001 Japan open with 5 1000 rated players in the field and 54 Open players total is not a major championship. I don't care what letter the PDGA puts in front of it.

This gets to my point about the sport being in its infancy and needing to manufacture the majors rather than let them emerge of their own volition. Those five 1000 rated players (and the handful of sub-1000 guys who were still considered "touring" players even without the 1000 rating...Jenkins, Sprague, etc) probably don't attend that Japan Open at all without the Major designation. Or perhaps only a couple of them do. Same with the early European majors. Few Americans were traveling overseas for disc golf at all back then (relatively speaking, it's more or less the same now). Those that did were doing so because largely because of the Major status of the event. They weren't going to Europe or Japan just to hit a larger B-tier or an A-tier like they might on any given weekend in the States.

Guess it's a chicken or egg argument. Can international events build themselves up enough on their own to be attractive to most or all of the top players in North America and thus "earn" major status, or do they need the status to attract the players in the first place? The PDGA has decided, based on where the sport is in its growth (whether we're talking 2002, 2004, 2010 or now), that the latter is the shortcut to making more big "major' events faster.

Joe Rovere, but I'm biased since he's from Colorado and a helluva nice guy to boot. He is an extremely dedicated teacher (and highly regarded amongst educators) but also has a passion for disc golf. If he ever decided to abandon teaching to disc full-time, he'd win a major within a year.

MJ
KJ
Simon
Eagle

These players are always in contention in Majors, but just haven't made it to the top yet.

Of those, I really believe Eagle will win one soon...in the next year or so. He has immense talent, and is learning quickly how to play smart golf. Simon has too many mental lapses to ever win. KJ and MJ are in decline, so I doubt they get a victory. James Conrad is a sleeper pick to get a major also.

this is a really solid argument that is irrelevant at this point. these events are in the books, the PDGA did put the M in front of it, and it's too late.

stuff changes in sports. we don't have to like it. plus, try telling Avery he's only got 2 majors, not 3, and see what happens.

MJ
KJ
Simon
Eagle

These players are always in contention in Majors, but just haven't made it to the top yet.

Of those, I really believe Eagle will win one soon...in the next year or so. He has immense talent, and is learning quickly how to play smart golf. Simon has too many mental lapses to ever win. KJ and MJ are in decline, so I doubt they get a victory. James Conrad is a sleeper pick to get a major also.

I feel that Philo might win one, if not he might in the Masters 40 at Worlds in few years if he chooses to play in that division.

I think Cale and Matt Orum are in almost the same exact boat...

And they're in the boat of not being nationally recognized for being as good as they are only because they don't follow the tour very much at all. Anyone in their regions knows just how dominant they are though.

Latest posts