• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Putter as a Driver (and a putter)

This topic has become very current for me. I did a search and couldnt find an existing thread.

Today, using a new technique, i can say that i confidently have a putter driver as a shot in my bag. I had a succesful park @ 200' (almost on the nose) with my Aviar. (i just learned the shot, so i am 1 week new with the shot... see Drive with a Putter Technique Here)

Now that i've found this shot, i would like to examine if i have a disc that is suitable for this shot. (i dont need or want a disc i only use for 1 purpose - driving a putter.PP)

What discs do people use? What discs to avoid, things you've learned, etc....

I used an Aviar PnA (Eco) 175 and got a very satisfying gimme birdie park @ 200'.

It is important for me not to (necessarily) buy a new disc for this shot.
I either need a dual purpose disc or a disc i already carry.

I was considering eiither -
175 Ion
175 Aviar (Star)
* or <Suggestions>?

You need an XD, TRUST ME!

Wizard one is SSS for putting, the other S for driving. The soft is a lot harder than it sounds.

I was throwing my Pro D Magnet yesterday as a driver just for fun at my practice field, and I was shocked at how straight, and controlable it was . Straight as an arrow.

I had a party this weekend and I brought out a whole bunch of different putters for people to play with in my backyard. There were many games of H.O.R.S.E. and a lot of putting around in general, but I must say, now that I've gotten used to the Ion other putters seem to fly kind of flat to me. The Ion seems to be really responsive to the way I pop my wrist and really true to the line released at as well. The softs were alright for my putt, but the mediums are the ultimate.

When it comes to driving, I've thrown everything. I've always loved driving putters, and the Ion (both soft and medium) is the best I've thrown hands down.

The Ion is money IF you get good spin on it. If you throw it like a pansy-*ss, like I did last week, it just fades out. I love it for shots from about 75-125' that I want to take a run at the chains. I also like it off the tee on short holes that need a straight line or slight hyzer.

Latest posts