• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Small Bag for Soggy Play

PBokor

Eagle Member
Since we're averaging 1-2" of steady rain per day, I have been able to fully test out my wet weather gear. Got the shoes, jacket, hoodie, boonie hat, etc. worked out, but I am stuck on what bag to carry. I currently have an Innova Starter and an Innova Deluxe and neither is doing the job (puddles forming inside in minutes, even with the top flap closed). :thmbdown:

I only carry ~6 discs and only throw two or three of those 90% of the time, so a tournament bag with a rain flap is way more than I would like to lug around. Can anyone recommend a small, water-resistant bag? It does not have to carry my phone, keys, mini, or any other accessories, just keep the discs inside relatively dry. Maybe something like a water resistant NutSac. Does such a bag exist?

The C15 is WAY more bag than I want to carry. Permanent physical limitations make a tournament bag unusable. My bag needs to be 5-6 lbs or less, fully loaded. :eek:

Have you personally used plastidip? First I have heard of it, and it looks good on paper.

Last edited:
I have used Plastidip: on my Fade Tourney bag, as well as a repurposed fishing backpack bag from Cabella's.
1) Works great for waterproofing DG bags... even adds durability in terms of reducing fabric abrasion in those high wear spots.
2) Use the brush on... works better than the spray on.

Here ya go...

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82605
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99865
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35927
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=846233

Last edited:
Or you could put some holes in the bag where it gathers water and then reinforce the fabric....

If you really want to keep things dry inside your bag, I'd recommend:

A few good coats of Plastidip on the bottom of bag, extending about 1" or so up on all sides. Cheap foam brush works fine... work it into all the seams and crevices. Done right, you should be able to leave it in a puddle all day and not get your discs wet.

If you really wanna go the extra mile, you could also spray the fabric that you don't Plastidip (sides and top) with a decent water repellent silicone treatment, Nikwax, or commercially available water repellent sprays recommended for shoes/camping gear.

If you really want to keep things dry inside your bag, I'd recommend...

Sounds about perfect. My discs stay mostly dry as they reside (2x2) in 1 gallon plastic bags until needed. It is the 1/4" plus of residual water in the bottom of the bag that bugs me. :gross:

Top leakage seems to be as prevalent as that from below. Thanks !!!

Maybe this, minus the fish?

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 39
The C15 is not a tourney sized backpack. I would plastidip whatever bag you choose as described by Bogey and load up on towels in sealable Ziploc baggies to dry your discs. Adding an umbrella that can sit above your bag while you're throwing would help reduce the top flow.

If it's as wet as you say maybe just getting used to throwing wet discs could help tremendously.

...If it's as wet as you say maybe just getting used to throwing wet discs could help tremendously.

Agreed and I am making good progress there. I have been practicing for the rain by dipping my discs in a 5 gallon bucket and throwing with cold, wet hands and a wet disc for the last few days. No problem there, been in the PacNW long enough to adapt quickly. Rained pretty good today on the back nine and I just went to a two disc setup and left everything else in the bag. After maybe 40 minutes, everything in the closed bag was soaked. :wall:

I guess I'm confused by the lack of small, water resistant bags out there. Seems like a decent target market.

If I could really play with just two discs without giving up more than a few strokes, I would leave the bag at home, but I need a couple of utility discs in addition to my mid and putter.

I will test the plastidip/water-proofing combo on a new starter bag and see what happens.

The small Gorilla Boy bag (spider monkey?) would be a good option.

You could also just pick up a separate rainfly for a small hiking pack.

For so few discs I think the most economical choice would be to go to a thrift store and find a small hard sided cooler.

The small Gorilla Boy bag (spider monkey?) would be a good option. You could also just pick up a separate rainfly for a small hiking pack.

Thanks, the Spider Monkey looks like the closest thing so far. 1000d cordura should work for me. Anyone out there used this one in the rain?

I thought about just going to Walmart and buying a water resistant daypack for about $20-25, but I'd like to support the DG community if possible.

I live in a very similar climate and have two set ups that I use in the winter.

1) Golf Mahal for all day adventures when I need to carry extra towels, rain jacket, water, beers, etc. If I am playing a more park like course I'll bring a stool to sit the bag on to keep it out of the wet grass, but don't bother if it's a wilderness style course. Awesome all weather bag.

2) My small set up is a plasti-dipped Innova Comp bag that I have rigged up with an additional cordura flap that extends past the sides of the bag by a few inches and covers the entire putter pocket in the front. I attached the flap to the existing "lid".
I only carry 8-10 discs and use the divider to keep them snug and use the rest of the interior space for towels.

You could do this with any bag. But the combo of the dry bottom and the big umbrella like flap on top works really well. Also keeps your back drier because you don't have a soggy bag rubbing against you. Gross.

Latest posts