• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Tone Pole Design (Or Non Basket)?

Tone poles were around before baskets. Too many arguments over whether or not they were hit forced the move to baskets and having to fetch the disc. I'm kinda of just making this up, but believe that are the main reasons.

Tone poles with a circle your disc must stop in would be another approach to get over the fetching issue.

You going to put in tone poles at your course? I'm guessing not but ya never know.

Can't wait to see the photos of the finished product.

I'm relatively new to disc golf, but very much enjoying the newbie experience so far. I first started experimenting with real disc golf discs while spending some time at my family cabin in the mountains of SE Montana. We are fortunate to have a considerable amount of open, rolling grassland mixed with aspen groves and conifer forests. For the past two summers we have played with random objects as targets (gate posts, trees, wheelbarrows, etc), and now that I'm getting more into the sport, I'd like to start incorporating some cheaper, non-permanent targets as well as Islands and OB into our ever evolving course up there.

My basic question is this: What are your recommendations for a relatively cheap (<$30 (ish)/target) targets? I can brainstorm up some ideas, particularly with PVC piping and metal fencing posts, but I'd love to see some pictures if you have any as well as other thoughts. I do have some tools, but no welding experience.

Thanks in advance.

I have always wanted to have a three piece tone pole that would sound out a chord when struck. Wouldn't be too hard to measure and construct.

I haven't seen a ton of tone poles, but one set of courses made a big impression on me. Nichols Park in Henryetta, Oklahoma, has two full length courses with what the designer called "clangers." Here are links for the North course and South course. The designer also made the tone pole targets, as mentioned in one of his reviews. His DGCR user name is joshua323, but looking at his page shows that his last time on DGCR was exactly 3 years ago (9/13/2017). You could certainly send a private message or something to see if he has any tips. All I remember is that they made a very convincing "gong" type sound when struck by a disc, and it was a plus for the course instead of making it feel inferior for not having baskets.

Last edited:
Ed Larrabee offered a product called a tube tone. Somewhere I have an old brochure.

I have attached an old article on non-standard targets for home use. Reproduced with permission.

Original picture was originally suppose to be a terrier with a number plate headband and a disc in his mouth. Caption to read " get lots of aces on this course".

Attachments

• 20201030_071820.jpg
    20201030_071820.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 54
Hawaiian version. At time, parks would not allow permanent standard baskets. Bunkajin

Photo attached. Reprinted with permission.

Attachments

• 20201030_073216.jpg
    20201030_073216.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 57
Hawaiian version. At time, parks would not allow permanent standard baskets. Bunkajin

Photo attached. Reprinted with permission.

That looks very Hawaiian, AWESOME!! :thmbup: :thmbup:

More then likely those #10 cans/coffee type cans are not quite big enough.

To match the effective catching zone of a basket with chains, an object target should have a cross-section of about 80 square inches. Four inches in diameter and 20 inches tall is the best match.

So, a #10 coffee can is too small. Two stacked together would be big enough.

They have these at Regis University in Denver. Pretty simple design if you still like banging chains.

a5034ce9.jpg

Played an Alaska course that had old beer kegs placed on top of poles for objects. Pretty fun, and the kegs make a delightful noise when you make a putt.

Latest posts