• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best Turnover FW/Distance disc?

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Looking for the best turnover fw or driver discs? Something that turns over from a backhand and holds that line. But won't turn into a roller. I'm usually throwing most FW's or control drivers around 300-330 and just looking for a great FW or Driver that can hold that slow turnover line like it was a FH shot.

I have a Lat 64 Maul, that sometimes when I hit it really hard, flat, and a little high, will do exactly what I want. But it's really hard to get it on the right angle. If I don't hit it JUST perfect, it will turn a bit for awhile, but always fade back left softly at the end. I don't want that. I want it to just keep going forward and softly right.

And if it's controllable enough, would also like to use it for Hyzer flips in tight woods holes.

I've been looking at the Prodigy F7, H4V2, Axiom Virus, and MVP Impulse (can't find either the Virus or Impulse ANYWHERE though as it seems like everything is out of stock everywhere all the time these days).

Looking for the best suggestions, and importantly, I don't want it to be super touchy to release angle. I just want an easy to turnover disc that goes far and is easy to control.

Discraft Heat in ESP is what I use. It was even good off the shelf. If you want faster than a 9 speed, I use a pro corvette, but it's touchy.

My first suggestion was going to be a Maul. If that is not working, then try a Diamond. They can be found in much lower weights than Mauls get to. Down to low 150's. Diamonds are much easier to throw because of the lighter weights.

DGA Pipeline has more turn then the numbers suggest. Should be ideal at your distances.

Also on 7/27 MINT is releasing the Jackalope....I'm hearing it is Leopard like...
...also the innova leopard.

Discraft Heat

Westside Underworld, Discraft Xpress, Discraft Avenger SS, Discraft Nuke SS, Innova Mamba, Lat 64 Maul, Discraft Scorch, Innova Leopard, Innova Cheetah

Took 7 posts for Leopard to show up. I personally throw Star and Champ Leo3's for what you're describing. As a bonus that absolutely bomb in tailwinds. Just be wary that heavy Champ Leo3's can be almost TB beefy when new. mid- upper 160's is probably a good weight to go with.

Took 7 posts for Leopard to show up. I personally throw Star and Champ Leo3's for what you're describing. As a bonus that absolutely bomb in tailwinds. Just be wary that heavy Champ Leo3's can be almost TB beefy when new. mid- upper 160's is probably a good weight to go with.

So a Star Leopard is going to turnover easier than a Goldline Maul? I had a Champ Leopard at one point a few years ago, and it was not flippy at all. It was actually kind of beefy. It barely had any turn and faded pretty hard.

So is the Star plastic at max weight in a Leopard going to turn over easier than a max weight Maul? I just don't see that happening unless you guys know something I don't?

The Maul is Goldline, which is like Star plastic, and when I throw it well, it definitely has a huge sweeping turnover anhyzer line the whole way. But It's like I said though, it's very touchy and hard to get it to do that every time.

I have gone through tons of discs trying to find ones I like for certain shots, and get rid of the ones that aren't consistent. Most of my discs do exactly what I bought them for, and are not touchy or sensitive. So that's why I'm looking for a more consistent turnover disc than my Maul, as it is just too touchy.

So do you really think a Leopard in Star with the 7/5-2/1 is going to do any better than a Maul at 7/6/-2/1? If so, I might have to try one, but I'm just not seeing how that's possible.

Has anyone used a Prodigy F7, Innova Sidewinder or Axiom Virus? Those seem like they might be really good for what I'm looking for?

I use to bag a heat but these days I'm reaching for the essence for my turnover backhands.

Has anyone used a Prodigy F7, Innova Sidewinder or Axiom Virus? Those seem like they might be really good for what I'm looking for?

I've thrown an Innova Sidewinder. I would say that it could work, but be careful about the weight and plastic. I found Gstar to be way too flippy. Perhaps a champ or star at 170-175g.

So a Star Leopard is going to turnover easier than a Goldline Maul? I had a Champ Leopard at one point a few years ago, and it was not flippy at all. It was actually kind of beefy. It barely had any turn and faded pretty hard.

So is the Star plastic at max weight in a Leopard going to turn over easier than a max weight Maul? I just don't see that happening unless you guys know something I don't?

The Maul is Goldline, which is like Star plastic, and when I throw it well, it definitely has a huge sweeping turnover anhyzer line the whole way. But It's like I said though, it's very touchy and hard to get it to do that every time.

I have gone through tons of discs trying to find ones I like for certain shots, and get rid of the ones that aren't consistent. Most of my discs do exactly what I bought them for, and are not touchy or sensitive. So that's why I'm looking for a more consistent turnover disc than my Maul, as it is just too touchy.

So do you really think a Leopard in Star with the 7/5-2/1 is going to do any better than a Maul at 7/6/-2/1? If so, I might have to try one, but I'm just not seeing how that's possible.

you're wanting the elusive late turning shot. to get that you want to go slower than faster (i.e. something like a SW or Heat, while great turnover discs, are too fast to get that shape) AND the right combo of angle and spin.

Like I said, a heavy premium Leo probably will flight back which is why I recommended a lighter weight. Pro and GStar

I saw the most votes for a Heat, so I found a cool looking one that I'm going to try. If that doesn't work I think I'll try a Prodigy F7 next. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let you know how it works out :thmbup:

I prefer seasoned PIAS discs for this vs something new. It's fun buying random beat to hell discs for cheap and getting a unique flight that you will never find with an off the shelf disc.

An Legacy Phenom in Icon plastic is pretty easy to get some late flip out of imo.

I've always found slightly slower discs easier to control for the shots that OP describes.

F7, Lucid Maverick, Polaris LS, Leopard

For faster discs: Tern, Thrasher, D4

Last edited:

Latest posts